The Lotus Cars Community banner

4861 - 4880 of 4902 Posts

·
Illegal Alien
4,620 Posts
Not actually "today" but I bought Ken's take-off OEM Lotus CF tailgate. I will install when the few parts I need get in and Ken gets back from Sema. Photos to follow but ya'll know what they look like. It's a vanity but I'm vain!
Glad it fell into good hands

·
Illegal Alien
4,620 Posts
I ordered new shoes and will be trying out a new size of track combo on my Sport 410

Sticking with my old Team Dynamics Pro 1.3 18 x 8.5"/18x10" track wheels fitted with the new Yokohama Advan A052, using 255/35-18 front & 295/35-18 rear. This offers a front to rear diameter ratio of .957 vs stock of .951 which should keep the stability control/ABS happy while the overall diameters are about 2% less, reducing my torque and speed readings a hair. Longitudinal nose down rake reduces from 22 mm to 20 mm and ride height reduces by 7 mm, however with my new Ohlins these changes can be adjusted out.

Tire lateral contact size changes from my stock 8.5" tread width front / 9.9" rear (0.859) to 9.5" front / 11.2" rear (0.848). The GT430 and US GT with their 8" & 10.5" wheels and 2245/35-19 & 295/30-20 Cup 2 Tires have foot prints of 8.6" front / 11.0" rear (.782). If I find the fronts too wide, whether for wheelwell fit or handling I will switch to the A052 235/40-18 size, offering a front foot print of 8.5" (.759).

Rake is well off at 15 mm, so such sizing would not work with the standard Bilsteins as the front must be lowered 7 mm in relation to the back. Front to Rear dia. ratio is out of spec, but if the Series 2 is similar to the Series 1 ABS program, the 2.2% change should be ok.

Stay tuned, I still need to get my car back together this winter, but trying to be ready for the spring. If this whole experiment is a bust then I guess I will be looking for some 19 x 8.5" and 20 x 11.0" custom forged wheels.

A mid stage update: I fitted these wheels and tires as I needed a new fitment anyways to get the car to the shop for other work. General observations based on fit up and a mild drive in town for only a few miles. The 255's are very wide, did i say wide?, at a 9.5 in tread width, this is 1 inch wider than stock 235/35-19 and 0.9 in wider than the 245/35-19 PS Cup 2's .. they fit but extend a hair past the fender lip so I believe full compression will hit body work, otherwise to use these the wheel offset will need to be changed. The rear 295's also fit tightly with tread under fender lip. These Yokos are 1/10 in narrower overall that the PS Cup 2's, but tread width is about the same. This set was picked due to maintaining f?R rolling ratios within 1% of stock and F/R tread width (contact patch) ratios are also within 1%, whereas the Cup 2 width ratio varies by 9% inducing understeer in some situations.

Going to the 235/40-18 A052 fronts will change rolling ratio by 2% (probably still within range of ABS/TSC handling and contact patch ration 7% off so slightly better than the Cup setup.

·
Illegal Alien
4,620 Posts
Weight of Team Dynamics Pro 1.3 18 x 8.5"/18x10" track wheels fitted with the new Yokohama Advan A052, using 255/35-18 front & 295/35-18 rear. 42.6 lbs front / 51.7 lbs rear or 198.6 lbs total (w/o TPMS), this is 20.2 lbs heavier than the stock Evora Sport Ultra LWT rims w/ Mich PS4S 235/35-19 & 285/30-20's & TPMS

·
Registered
217 Posts
Not actually "today" but I bought Ken's take-off OEM Lotus CF tailgate. I will install when the few parts I need get in and Ken gets back from Sema. Photos to follow but ya'll know what they look like. It's a vanity but I'm vain!
Hi Lew, what extra parts are you buying for switching over to the CF tailgate? I know that you would need the part # A132M6168F (CHMSL Lamp) and A132B0069F (tailgate latch) if you don't want to re-use your existing 400 CHMSL lamp and latch. I brought the CF tailgate from Kageorg11 and test fit it on my Evora S. It's super nice - lines flow very well to my S1 rear and CF blend in well with my carbon grey color. My wife and kids love the new looks even after I told them how much it cost. I think this is a best upgrade in terms of looks and weight saving for the Evora S1.

·
Loves to talk
827 Posts
Hi Exira,

I ordered the strut and the "hinge" it fixes to as well as (I think) another small hardware piece that it lands on. The download from the Lotus service notes doesn't show the CF fixings (I only saw the standard tailgate on the 400/GT notes) and I couldn't find the parts fiche showing the actual CF tailgate or it's related assemblies. I am relying on the dealer's advice as to what parts are required that I don't already have and just gave them carte blanche top order them. I hadn't considered ordering the latch and lamp since I figured I could recycle them from the existing bits but we'll see if that's an easier way to go about it.

Funny about your wife. I had the same concerns and thought she'd diss me for buying the thing, but I don't generally need to ask for permission, although I usually announce my intentions to make sure I won't be cut off when the truth outs. I find it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission in most stances like this. I justified it to her by telling her what the part would have cost ordered direct from Lotus. I also figure if for some reason (I have no idea what that reason would be) I don't like the thing, somebody else will want it. Lotus CF is quite high quality in any case, very nicely made so at least we're getting quality for our dollars. It is expensive no doubt but we got bargains compared to buying from Lotus and we couldn't duplicate the thing for much less using after market alternatives. Pretty unique opportunity.

When I ran it around in my head (and despite my usual unwillingness to pay for CF bits) it made sense. I'm eager to get my hands on it and looking forward to getting it organized and onto the car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Spent some quality time at Lime Rock on Monday with spitting rain, old tires and an even older driver. :)

All in all it was a fun day, my lap times came down 5 seconds over the day. I see a couple more seconds on the table in the video too (e.g. stay in 3rd from turn one through the up hill).

I love the way this car handles.
I had another great day at Lime Rock yesterday and by best lap was a 1:04.49 with a bunch of laps in the 1:05 to 1:05.5 range on street tires. I am super happy with my progress this year.

Laptimes for the session (lap 11 was me in the pits waiting for some clear track).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Installed the GRP V3 taillights. I got the red option with amber turn signals. Build quality is top notch. The recessed center looks awesome and is nice and black. I had the reflectors added in at no cost and you can't see them without a light shining on them which is great.

Here's some pics. Didn't have the girlfriend available to step on the brakes so I just have shots with the lights on. Also, bonus pic of my 91 300zx TT I've had for about 16 years now. A nice pair if I say so.

Lights off

Lights on

Lights on again, white balance and/or brightness must have changed on my phone.

Lights off, turns on

Lights on, turns on

Bonus pic

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had another great day at Lime Rock yesterday and by best lap was a 1:04.49 with a bunch of laps in the 1:05 to 1:05.5 range on street tires. I am super happy with my progress this year.
Did you muffle the exhaust in sport mode to get by the noise restrictions there?
I was close to going to Lime Rock this month but was worried about the noise.

If you haven't been to NYST, it's awesome; technical, elevation changes and no walls ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Did you muffle the exhaust in sport mode to get by the noise restrictions there?

If you haven't been to NYST, it's awesome; technical, elevation changes and no walls ;)
I ran bikes at NYST the first three seasons they opened the new track - 14, 15 and 16. Used to run 1:35s in the expert group. Awesome track!

·
Registered
45 Posts

I'll have to check out the NYST. Who do you run with there? All of my events over the past couple of years have been with SCDA.

My car doen't have the sport mode muffler (2010 NA). I do have a Larini (not sure if that is the right spelling) exhaust and BOE intake. No problems so far. I think it is very likely the sport mode would be fine. They don't measure at the edge of the track and there have beens some loud cars running under the restriction. They also give you a warning so presumably you could close the exhaust if needed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I ran into that trying to do some left foot braking. I wasn't happy to discover this ‘feature’
The dealer replaced mine but the failure cost me 2/3's of a track day.

GRP has a "better model" that I bought and now carry as a spare for $20 Insurance.

·
Lotus Evora Specialty
212 Posts
I ran into that trying to do some left foot braking.
Aggressive driving with left-foot braking has triggered all sorts of demons for me, including brake lamp module failure, ABS light, traction light. All go away with a power cycle or time. This car really needs to be tossed gentle... so no wannabe Walter Röhrl footwork or Scandinavian flicks. ;)

One of the favorite things about my Exige was the way I could manipulate weight transfer in a bunch of different ways--the electronics diminish this in the Evora. Although amazingly, I don't find the IPS to be an issue in anything except 1st gear.

·
Loves to talk
827 Posts
Hi Lew, what extra parts are you buying for switching over to the CF tailgate? I know that you would need the part # A132M6168F (CHMSL Lamp) and A132B0069F (tailgate latch) ......................

Revised plan:

I said, I'd been planning to recycle the parts from my original tailgate but having just examined the piece in the "metal" it's definitely easier and not much more expensive to order all the little bits you actually need rather than to remove and recycle them. That includes the tail light and latch just as you said. I'm ordering them through my dealer. Consequently I have a complete list of all the parts needed to switch over from one to the other. Happy to post the whole list here if you still want it.

About the day and experience:
Ken's place is loaded with stuff, tools, cars, and Ducatis which we both ride. Great to meet you, buddy, and thanks. Love those Ohlins.

I won't go into the details of why I needed to drive to his place twice to get it so don't ask !

·
Registered
45 Posts
Aggressive driving with left-foot braking has triggered all sorts of demons for me, including brake lamp module failure, ABS light, traction light.

One of the favorite things about my Exige was the way I could manipulate weight transfer in a bunch of different ways--the electronics diminish this in the Evora.
I just experienced a few seconds where the gas pedal did nothing and that was enough for me. And manupulating the weight transfer was exactly what I was doing when I found this 'feature'. It is an odd decision by Lotus given the nature, and capabilities, of the Evora.

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
I added a small CAN bus micro gauge high up by my visor to act similar to a HUD (display) due to how I place my hands when I drive (which blocks my OEM gauges). (NOTE that cellphone photo did not depict all of the screen pixels which are obviously visible to the human eye.)

It has multiple screens (MPH w/speed warnings, RPM w/shift light, volts, coolant temp, fuel level %, MAF reading, etc.) that you can easily toggle through via a built in touch pad. The builder also added a custom Evora S start up screen when the car powers up. :p
I also used a modified GoPro Sessions mount so that I did not have to modify my car in any way in order to mount it.

I really wish it was still the driving season now!

4861 - 4880 of 4902 Posts