The Lotus Cars Community banner

5101 - 5120 of 5182 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Does everyone go at the clutch bleeder from the top? The one time I bled it was from underneath, perhaps because my arms and hands are small enough. Obviously things could be different on my S1 compared to a 400, but I’d guess not.
I've put the cap back on from the top (have CAI), but I bleed from the bottom.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Internet searched using "remote clutch bleeder" and many results found. Summit Racing for example.....some with speedbleeder at end also. They seem of course to be for American cars, Corvette, etc, but if could use fitting for Lotus slave cylinder that matches the current bleeder valve threading, should be a solution. Would be a slick conversion.......more reading to be done.....
None of them have the M7x1.0 nipple thread we need and I have not found a M7 to AN adapter that would work..

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Internet searched using "remote clutch bleeder" and many results found. Summit Racing for example.....some with speedbleeder at end also.
Yep, I ordered that and a bunch of metric to AN adapters and so far nothing has fit. As CO states, it's rather impossible finding an M7 to AN fitting. I think it might just be easier to enlarge and tap the hole for an AN banjo. I'll be doing that to my spare slave cylinder and swap them out during my flush later this year. The slaves are super cheap too (under $25 for the CRT-085) so no fears of messing it up.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Replaced the seals for the oil cooler. Smallest leak out of one of them that I caused from un doing them a ton of times when pulling the engine out. The rubber was quite hard on the old ones too.

Such a pain to get tools onto them to torque them properly!

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Replaced the seals for the oil cooler. Smallest leak out of one of them that I caused from un doing them a ton of times when pulling the engine out. The rubber was quite hard on the old ones too.

Such a pain to get tools onto them to torque them properly!
I'm waiting on a set of seals myself. I want to replace Toyota's rubber feed and return line with the metal version I see you have in the top photo ( I have an '11).

Did you actually have to remove the adapter tubes to remove the left/right hose connections (that's why I've ordered a set of seals-just in case)? Or could you have just removed the hoses and re-torqued? How did you get the final 40/52 Nm torques, crows foot wrench?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm waiting on a set of seals myself. I want to replace Toyota's rubber feed and return line with the metal version I see you have in the top photo ( I have an '11).

Did you actually have to remove the adapter tubes to remove the left/right hose connections (that's why I've ordered a set of seals-just in case)? Or could you have just removed the hoses and re-torqued? How did you get the final 40/52 Nm torques, crows foot wrench?
The problem is when you try undo the hose end it would turn the adapter fitting. So you couldnt break the two to get it un done. You cant get a regular open ender in there so what I did was jam a hex between the flats.

I removed the right hose first and that makes it easier to get to the the left.
Theres a bit of oil on the right side, too much to take up with a rag.
The left side had no oil after draining the right.

When I installed the new seals I did the following order:
-Left adapter
-Left Hose
-Right adapter
-Right Hose

Its just possible to get a socket on the left adapter. (crows foot wouldnt work)
Used a crows foot for the hoses to torque them.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
The problem is when you try undo the hose end it would turn the adapter fitting. So you couldnt break the two to get it un done. You cant get a regular open ender in there so what I did was jam a hex between the flats.

I removed the right hose first and that makes it easier to get to the the left.
Theres a bit of oil on the right side, too much to take up with a rag.
The left side had no oil after draining the right.

When I installed the new seals I did the following order:
-Left adapter
-Left Hose
-Right adapter
-Right Hose

Its just possible to get a socket on the left adapter. (crows foot wouldnt work)
Used a crows foot for the hoses to torque them.
Gotcha. Thank you for the follow-up. (y)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Very ingeniious! Tips like this good to know for an "apprentice"! I know someone (ahem) who would addres this problem with an incredibly over engineered solution........just saying..........and thanks.

·
Loves to talk
919 Posts
Some advice for the newly indolent:

I have been retired for 11 years too and have considerable practice at fending off the occasional need to feel useful. My first advice is to not even bother fighting it. Learn to luxuriate in the gift of indolence and sloth by eating extra chocolate. It refocuses the mind and is good for helping to gain enough weight that people won't even bother to ask you for help thinking you'll just get in the way. This is the response you're looking for. You may substitute ice cream if you prefer a slightly faster result than chocolate can produce.

Think of laziness as a virtue! Now go out and run that thing to redline and don't come back until they've given up on you and do whatever it is they're bothering you about themselves.

Remember that after all those years of sacrifice, shaving every morning and breaking rocks until late into the night, you don't owe those ingrates nuthin'!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do not own an Evora, I drive an Alfa Romeo 4C. But I test drove an Evora today. Some of the things I did not like, but perhaps it's because the car was used and not really maintained. Amazing handling tho.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've only had the Evora for five days, and so far, super happy with the decision to purchase (MY13 NA 2+2 IPS). I've been able to drive to work (essential business) every day, and spent my free time in the evenings tinkering.

The Lotus Talk community, and how to posts have been extremely helpful for this DIYer.
Thank you all!

• Oil Change
  • K&N Air Filter
  • Spark Pugs
  • Alpine iLX-107 (CarPlay)
  • Decat Pipe (had my local shop do the work... originally was going to replace the stock muffler with a magnaflow to improve the sound, but hesitated when he mentioned I would lose the valve (sport mode) option. Thoughts?)
The weather is perfect in So Cal today, so we're off to a cruise down PCH, up Ortega Hwy, and ???

5101 - 5120 of 5182 Posts