The Lotus Cars Community banner

5221 - 5240 of 5254 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Did the engine and gearbox oil on mine, noticeable difference shifting. Others had reported that but I didn’t expect as much as it is
Same for me. I changed the manual gearbox oil last fall and the improvement is much better than expected. I had read all the stories and was skeptical it would have much effect but wow.. big difference. It goes into gear so much smoother. Used Redline full synthetic which I saw recommended a lot on this forum.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It’s 90 here today. Could really fee the car pulling ting above 5500. Assuming that’s normal? Safe to assume the carbon hatch option would alleviate that some too..
90 ambient shouldn’t be a problem but coolant temp has a large effect. The data I have shows that the stock tune makes the most power at or below 190F. If you’re driving around without much airflow over the radiator, it’s not uncommon for temps to creep up before the radiator fan brings them back down.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Haven’t had time to take it back out. There wasn’t a CEL and didn’t feel off otherwise. I think I was sitting in traffic heating up and then I got on it. Odds are it’s nothing

·
Registered
121 Posts
I recently added Lotus Elise style heritage accents to MY14 Evora. The car is looks amazing in person. Pictures don't do it justice. I drove it to the ocean to take pictures of it and people of all ages stopped by to admire and take pictures. They all said, "Nice car" or ""I love the stripes." Of course I followed to Code of Conduct. Always friendly and introduced a Lotus to them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2018 Evora 400 Burnt Orange
41 Posts
I have had my Evora 400 a week now. I absolutely love the car. I came from an Audi RS5 which had a lower 0-60 time, yet the Lotus feels faster. It lacks the massaging seats I had, yet is more comfortable and supportive on long drives. I have put over 800 miles on her in this first week of ownership. I have wanted a Lotus, ever since I was a young child. It feels so damn good to finally own one.

·
Scott M
279 Posts
Half way through replacing the clutch master cylinder. Oiy... That job sucks.
Finished the clutch MC job after work today. Unfortunately, everything I expected to be more challenging going back on than coming off was in fact the case. Thankfully, the clutch appears to operate normally now though I didn’t have a chance to drive it yet because Plack exhaust and 1AM. 😉 Clutch pedal feel seems more firm then before my problem.

This was the most involved automotive repair I’ve ever attempted, and was able to do it because of the great info & help here (along with BOE instructions).
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes I replaced with the Redline MTL 75w80; it’s even easier sliding into first from a slow roll
Has anyone done this change on a car with the transmission oil cooler- this has a pump that picks up from the fill hole. The manual I downloaded from VSI is pretty clear about how to drain, refill and check the level in the gearbox with the transmission cooler but before I start it would be useful to know if there are any issues I need to pay particular attention to.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
How many quarts did you need?
I think I ordered 3 quarts of MTL on my last change, and only need around 2.5. Service notes show 2.3L capacity. I'd recommend getting a fluid pump, or a pressure-based fill container, as it's rather difficult pouring into a horizontal hole. I use a Motive 1735 fluid transfer pump that I installed a ball valve inline to ease shut-off closer to the point of fill.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks. My car Evora 400 as an oil water cooler for the manual transmission and the outlet to the cooler is a hose that connects to the filler plug hole. The manual implies that the way to fill the transmission is from the top where the return hose from the cooler connects back to the transmission case. I am sure this will be feasible with some tubing and a funnel. It says that I should then fabricate a dipstick to check the oil level in the transmission after filling. It also talks about using Lotus Techcentre (I've been living in the US so long that I want to write Techcenter) to cycle the pump that circulates oil through the cooler. Is this necessary to empty the pump/cooler of oil for draining and/or to prime the pump when I refill the transmission with oil? There is also an inline filter between the transmission case outlet and the pump. Is it worth changing that?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was in the 2.25-2.5 quart range. I have a radium intake, so it was easy to run a hose from the top and pour it in through that horizontal fill hole.
Thanks. My 400 has the gearbox oil cooler and the VSI manual says to leave the pickup hose connected to the horizontal fill hole and to fill from the top by removing the return hose from the oil cooler. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Noticed a rattling sound from near my left knee last weekend. Finally took the knee bolster off and discovered that one of the screws that is supposed to secure it to the dash frame was missing. No clue when/where it went missing. I always wondered why the knee bolster seemed a little loose. Figured it was just held on with velcro like everything else. :ROFLMAO: Couple dollars at a local hardware store for a M6 screw and washer and it's nice and solid now! For the record, the rattle was actually a loose dash screw, which is covered by the knee bolster (it stopped rattling if I put pressure on the knee bolster).

Kinda funny how it's literally just a leather-wrapped piece of styrofoam. Very light!

5221 - 5240 of 5254 Posts