The Lotus Cars Community banner
5781 - 5800 of 5908 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Evora 400
81 Posts
Looks great! Paint or powder coat? And how did you clean off the lettering?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Aircraft striper to get the factory wrinkle paint off, followed up with brake caliper paint, and finished it off with engine clear, all made for heat applications. Let it dry and cure for a week then sand off the paint on the lotus letters, then several more coats of engine clear.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Aircraft striper to get the factory wrinkle paint off, followed up with brake caliper paint, and finished it off with engine clear, all made for heat applications. Let it dry and cure for a week then sand off the paint on the lotus letters, then several more coats of engine clear.

View attachment 1287969 View attachment 1287970
Thanks for the details on this! Just picked up my Evora GT in Exige Orange. It bugs me that the engine cover is red since nothing else is red in the car. I have been thinking about painting it Exige Orange. Can you tell me if there is a gasket that needs to be replaced after removing the lid or anything? Or can you just unbolt it and then bolt it right back?

·
Registered
2018 Evora 400
81 Posts
Thanks for the details on this! Just picked up my Evora GT in Exige Orange. It bugs me that the engine cover is red since nothing else is red in the car. I have been thinking about painting it Exige Orange. Can you tell me if there is a gasket that needs to be replaced after removing the lid or anything? Or can you just unbolt it and then bolt it right back?
There is a gasket, I was able to reuse it. You should be able to as well.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The supercharger cover colors may have be used by Lotus to denote the tune of the engine- compare the black "induction" housing of the original turbo esprit vs the version with the HC engine. But I agree that red and orange are not a great color combination. On the other hand the black supercharger cover in my 400 looks OK with the Lotus racing green paint and the other black trim pieces.

·
Premium Member
2017 Evora 400 MT
79 Posts
From what I recall reading in the forum, a black cover signifies a 400 hp tune (e.g. Evora 400), a red cover signifies a 410 hp tune (e.g. Evora 410 sport & Evora GT), and a blue cover signifies a 430 hp tune (e.g. Evora 430).
Edit: Just checked a YouTube review of the Evora 430 and Evora GT 430 and their supercharger covers were red.
So much for my remembering correctly.

·
Registered
343 Posts
From what I recall reading in the forum, a black cover signifies a 400 hp tune (e.g. Evora 400), a red cover signifies a 410 hp tune (e.g. Evora 410 sport & Evora GT), and a blue cover signifies a 430 hp tune (e.g. Evora 430).
That seems logical. On cars with the glass engine cover the s/c cover is quite visible but this is not really the case if you have the louvered cover which makes these color clashes with the body paint less of a concern.

·
Registered
2021 Lotus Evora GT 410 Sport
41 Posts

Ref: new GT 410 Sport......

1) Took off the cover ......the steel / plastic gasket can be reused conform the Lotus importer.
2) Sanded the (black) cover slightly between the LOTUS trade mark and the rest of the cover with a kind of "scotch-brite" sanding pad
3) Cleaning with brake cleaner fluid
4) Several layers with red wrinkle paint VHT SP 204......also over the Lotus trade mark
5) Baked in kitchen oven 1 hr at 110 degr. C.
6) Carefully scraped off the still soft paint off the Lotus trade mark with a kind of wide Stanley knife blade
7) Sanded / polished with min. 400 grit paper on flat block sanding hand tool
8) Several layers of 2 component (2K) matt clear coat.......the Lotus trade mark is covered now against corrosion

VHT Wrinkle Plus™ Coatings -- High Heat Coatings

Eastwood 2K Aerospray Clear Coat Matte & High-Gloss (MATTE FINISH !)

·
Registered
18 Posts
changed pollen filter: not the official Lotus one but a substitute fro Bilstein. 13 euros instead of 77 euros Lotus original.
IMG_2742.JPG
IMG_2729.JPG

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Other forums do this and it's fun and informative. The rules: Simply tell us what you did to your ride today. Modifications, fixed something or just took a drive. Post it up. Pics are welcome.

Have at it!
Out for a 200 mile drive, 94 degrees out, more fun than I'm allowed to have!

·
Loves to talk
1,385 Posts
Didn't find specifics around voltage and amperage, but I believe it should provide standard USB charging at a minimum (5V @ 500ma). Not the fastest if you're trying to charge some newer devices.
I'm going to give it a whirl and see what it does. All it has to do for me is run an iPhone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Today I tried to source a RH window regulator. The good news is that I had more luck in finding rockinghorse poop.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Surgically removed the rear quarter intake and cooling vent mesh grills last night to make it look more like the 400/GT’s scoops. IMHO the S1’s mesh chicken wire grills on the outside are one of the things that makes the Evora look cheaper/kit car. On the 400 and up they did it right.

For anyone interested in doing the same, I searched the entire internet and nobody I could find had done this or said they had done this. Lots of asks how to but no “I did it, here it is”.

This was super tedious work... The only way to get them out (except clam off) is basically cut them out. Here’s how:

1 Using a good pair of wire cutters, cut out a giant circle in center of exposed grill, which will be almost all of the grill.

2. then cut the remaining perimeter circle of mesh in totally segregated segments for each body grill bolt point (see parts drawing).

3. Passenger side is worse. One nut can be accessed and removed to remove that segment, but for the others use smaller wire cutters to clip up inside the body hole. Get as much as you can and then shove the rest up behind the body. The duct makes it impossible to access these nuts.

4. Driver side is way easier. Top 2 nuts can be removed to remove those 2 segments (after all your cutting per above). Front 2 nut locations = trim up the wire as tight as possible.

when you’re done, use some black plastic restorer paste and wipe down the black ducting inside. Let dry before driving.

when I was done, you couldn’t see any remaining wire at all, even looking up in the intake holes.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Ref: new GT 410 Sport......

1) Took off the cover ......the steel / plastic gasket can be reused conform the Lotus importer.
2) Sanded the (black) cover slightly between the LOTUS trade mark and the rest of the cover with a kind of "scotch-brite" sanding pad
3) Cleaning with brake cleaner fluid
4) Several layers with red wrinkle paint VHT SP 204......also over the Lotus trade mark
5) Baked in kitchen oven 1 hr at 110 degr. C.
6) Carefully scraped off the still soft paint off the Lotus trade mark with a kind of wide Stanley knife blade
7) Sanded / polished with min. 400 grit paper on flat block sanding hand tool
8) Several layers of 2 component (2K) matt clear coat.......the Lotus trade mark is covered now against corrosion

VHT Wrinkle Plus™ Coatings -- High Heat Coatings

Eastwood 2K Aerospray Clear Coat Matte & High-Gloss (MATTE FINISH !)

What are the temperature displays for?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Surgically removed the rear quarter intake and cooling vent mesh grills last night to make it look more like the 400/GT’s scoops. IMHO the S1’s mesh chicken wire grills on the outside are one of the things that makes the Evora look cheaper/kit car. On the 400 and up they did it right.

For anyone interested in doing the same, I searched the entire internet and nobody I could find had done this or said they had done this. Lots of asks how to but no “I did it, here it is”.

This was super tedious work... The only way to get them out (except clam off) is basically cut them out. Here’s how:

1 Using a good pair of wire cutters, cut out a giant circle in center of exposed grill, which will be almost all of the grill.

2. then cut the remaining perimeter circle of mesh in totally segregated segments for each body grill bolt point (see parts drawing).

3. Passenger side is worse. One nut can be accessed and removed to remove that segment, but for the others use smaller wire cutters to clip up inside the body hole. Get as much as you can and then shove the rest up behind the body. The duct makes it impossible to access these nuts.

4. Driver side is way easier. Top 2 nuts can be removed to remove those 2 segments (after all your cutting per above). Front 2 nut locations = trim up the wire as tight as possible.

when you’re done, use some black plastic restorer paste and wipe down the black ducting inside. Let dry before driving.

when I was done, you couldn’t see any remaining wire at all, even looking up in the intake holes.
Love this! I've been thinking about this myself. I agree that the look is so much cleaner and is a good visual improvement. I don't know if I'd personally want to cut the mesh so I'll probably wait until I have to have the rear clam off for some reason (if ever). Looks so much better!

5781 - 5800 of 5908 Posts