The Lotus Cars Community banner
6081 - 6100 of 6117 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
891 Posts
That's a little east of us. It does look interesting. And Hallett is just west of us. OK, 3 hours west of us. But still, it's a very fun track. After our club went there once, we were talking about it at our next club meeting and I mentioned to the guy sitting next to me, Tolly Atrutunoff, how I really like the up and down aspects of the track, not just flat. He said "Yeah, that's why I picked that piece of land to build it."

·
Registered
338 Posts
So the swaybar bushings didnt help with the noise in the long wrong ?
Slightly, but only because it buffered movement of the swaybar when I first installed the bushings.

The actual culprit to it all was within the alignment settings, which I had figured out a while back (after ARB bushings install) after observing the swaybar was in a constant bind on one side. Once I figured out that I had wheel setback on the passenger side front I was kinda worried as I didn't think caster would fix how far it was out and feared possible front chassis issues (loose chassis bolts happens with some of the S1's).

The alignment guy saw the setback also and simply pulled the caster in ALOT to get that wheel back. It's unclear how long i've had that wheel setback, however I'm guessing since I bought the car. This is why even through 3-4 alignments it just was never right... The other guys simply adjusted toe and camber to compensate for the setback and get the car driving straight, versus doing their job's correctly and fixing the setback via caster then adjusting toe and camber to get within specs.

I believe there's others who have the Nitrons that have this same issue, perhaps the setback might be a biproduct of lowering the car/installing the coilovers... Not sure... But I know there's others out there who have this issue and have been unable to fix it. Doesn't help that's there's rumors out there that caster's not adjustable on this car, or that it doesn't need to be checked. Even on my last alignment from the indy "Lotus Guru" in my city, the caster portion of my alignment sheet was greyed out like it was not applicable. Either he's an idiot who clearly couldnt see the setback and/or didn't know caster was adjustable (I brought it back for the clanking long ago before I knew the actual issue), or was just too lazy to fix the alignment correctly.

But sure enough, my car finally drives without that bandaid alignment feeling that it's off, and has ZERO noises now from the suspension.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mostly finished up my somewhat 2+0 conversion. I originally took out the rear seats to keep them protected since I do like to use the rear area for cargo. After taking them out I realized that they do a good deal of sound deadening. so I ordered some 1lb/sqft mass loaded vinyl, some automotive carpet, and some red vinyl piping. Any weight savings have pretty much been negated, but now I have a bunch of usable space and I don't have to worry about damaging the leather.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the result, doesn't photograph the best. First time I've tried something like this. When I tried showing a friend that wasn't too familiar with the car, he couldn't understand what I was trying to show him, he thought it was OEM :LOL:. Still have some minor adjustments to make.

Some pics:
Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Steering wheel Vehicle door

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part

Steering part Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

Sleeve Grey Bag Electronic device Pocket

Mass loaded vinyl behind the carpet pictured below. Adding the MLV in really did help cut down the noise without taking up a lot of volume and also keeping the base from feeling like a sponge that you would probably get from a foam material.
Luggage and bags Automotive tire Sleeve Bag Grey

·
Registered
2017 Lotus Evora 400 manual, 2009 Rossion Q1, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
532 Posts
Mostly finished up my somewhat 2+0 conversion. I originally took out the rear seats to keep them protected since I do like to use the rear area for cargo. After taking them out I realized that they do a good deal of sound deadening. so I ordered some 1lb/sqft mass loaded vinyl, some automotive carpet, and some red vinyl piping. Any weight savings have pretty much been negated, but now I have a bunch of usable space and I don't have to worry about damaging the leather.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the result, doesn't photograph the best. First time I've tried something like this. When I tried showing a friend that wasn't too familiar with the car, he couldn't understand what I was trying to show him, he thought it was OEM :LOL:. Still have some minor adjustments to make.

Some pics:
View attachment 1298695
View attachment 1298696
View attachment 1298697
View attachment 1298698

Mass loaded vinyl behind the carpet pictured below. Adding the MLV in really did help cut down the noise without taking up a lot of volume and also keeping the base from feeling like a sponge that you would probably get from a foam material.
View attachment 1298699
Nice work, how did attach everything so it doesn't slide?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Nice work, how did attach everything so it doesn't slide?
I ended up using Velcro, the bottom already has half of it for the seats, attached the MLV to that, then just used the rough side for the MLV to the carpet.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Splitter install = job done.

@ShadowWulf369 big thanks for the idea of taping the washer and nut to the wrench and sliding it in place for the 2 bolts behind the lower bumper vents… Literally impossible without it and worked quickly and smooth as butter. I also used your idea of hex button heads but moreso because Phillips hardware on a Lotus just doesn’t seem right. 😁

Cloud Car Sky Tire Vehicle

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Grey
974 Posts
Splitter install = job done.

@ShadowWulf369 big thanks for the idea of taping the washer and nut to the wrench and sliding it in place for the 2 bolts behind the lower bumper vents… Literally impossible without it and worked quickly and smooth as butter. I also used your idea of hex button heads but moreso because Phillips hardware on a Lotus just doesn’t seem right. 😁

View attachment 1299100
That looks great! I love the carbon on chrome orange look. It really adds a nice finisher to the front edge of the car. Pretty soon you’re going to have to take a new picture for your signature area since you’ve added so many pieces since then.

I’m glad my notes helped. Did you run into any other issues with yours or everything went as expected? I had taken my sweet time during my install and had the difficulty of removing some old skid guards, so my car was on the ramps for two full days. Also, nice job getting that done in a tight space! I’m impressed.

Now all you need to add are some front vent louvers… 🤣

·
Registered
338 Posts
Did you run into any other issues with yours or everything went as expected? I had taken my sweet time during my install and had the difficulty of removing some old skid guards, so my car was on the ramps for two full days. Also, nice job getting that done in a tight space! I’m impressed.
Not really, however I did do a few small things differently than you guys. I didn't enlarge the outer bolt holes for the OEM hardware as given they were just slightly too small and the splitter material is only FRP, I simply screwed the bolt through the hole, as in creating some (weak) female threads. I only did this because I have an electric cordless 3/8" drive ratchet wrench which threads it through in like 2 seconds (I HIGHLY recommend buying one of these if you don't have one already, given our multiple undertrays with 5 million bolts. Best tool ever man, takes out every bolt of front tray in less than 30 seconds).

Second, I also did not relocate or pill out one of these same OEM hardware bolt holes on the ends of the splitter. My driver's side hole was initially slightly off (maybe 2-4mm's depending on how you line up the bumper, undertray and liner brackets) but i'm lazy and worked around it while still achieving a final precise fitment. You can get the bolt through everything it just makes the driver's side half of the molded part of the splitter tighter (where bumper sits in the splitter) versus the other side. I first bolted both ends using your same acquired 30mm longer hardware while supporting the underneath front middle of splitter with a jack stand/rag. As mentioned, this made the driver's side of splitter sit slightly lower vs passenger side. I then used another jack stand/rag and placed a stand under each bolt hole at the bumper's bottom intakes while jacking up the driver's stand notch by notch to apply force until bottom of splitter was flush with bottom of bumper on that side. Then confirmed with a few quick measurements of top of splitter to bottom of lower bumper intake on each side.

At that point with splitter fully fit up and bolted tight on the ends, I then used a 7/32 bit (slightly smaller than pre-drilled bolt holes on splitter, but big enough for #10-24 screws to slide through) and drilled out each bolt hole in the bottom of my bumper. Then moved right into installing the fastening screws/washers/locking nuts at each hole, starting with the middle 3 holes.

This method was very efficient labor and install time-wise and ensured spot-on drilled holes and a visually confirmed tight fitment before I started that wouldn't change throughout the install as the splitter remained fitted the whole time. I've installed countless FRP and carbon fiber parts over the years and there's little I hate more than doing all the fitment work manipulations only to realize at the end that 1 or 2 fasteners when fully tightened ended up pulling the part slightly askew on one side. I can sometimes deal with 1/16", sometimes even 1/8" depending on the part, but anything over must be fixed.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Also that change in piece of fabric/weave pattern change on the winglets bothers me. Man I love Sherman, but that's a very big no-no when designing/manufacturing carbon fiber parts. You do literally everything you can to avoid using a new piece of fabric to continue a single directional flow of weave pattern. Also, not too thrilled with the pretty excessive stretching of the fabric in areas on each side of the top. Yours looks to be in a bit better shape than mine as far as uniformly stretching and laying the fabric across the whole piece.

Can you take a close up pic of the top portion of splitter between the winglet and halfway distance of the lower bumper intakes? I'd like to compare vs mine.

All said, the fitment was very precise (better than most CF pieces i've gotten unless on the name brand high end) which in itself is worth overlooking some other negatives, and the piece itself is incredibly, almost absurdly, substantial. Super mega thick on the bottom which is awesome for longevity of use by having all that sacrificial mass for scraping and keeping the piece intact during medium size road debris impacts.

Similar situation, properly executed here. I will say this winglet is kinda like a 'separate piece', but it's still part of the same overall mold with the splitter itself. It's all about how the splitter fabric is laid, and the different fabric pieces for the winglets (see the splitter winglet at the bottom of the pic & note pattern of winglet vs the continuing splitter portion weave behind it):

Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
338 Posts
I installed the Hethel Sport 430 rear wing. It looks amazing!
Looks great man!

Yeah no doubt it takes a little bit of sacking up before you drill those holes in the OEM $6k carbon hatch. My fab guy made me come back to his shop to give the go to drill and to witness it. I was all like a dude in the ER with a dislocated shoulder looking the other way, wincing, and asking the doc to just get it over with lol.

·
Registered
338 Posts
All them 4s are bad luck in some cultures :eek:

Mine turned "50" this weekend:

View attachment 1299188
Hey hey hey!? ... It appears I've missed something significant in the Evora mod game...

I see those little S2 white numbers and inquiring minds want to know how the hell you did that? Somebody also mentioned something similar in a recent PM I got, and now I understand what they meant.

PS: If the details are in some giant thread that I should have, and probably did see, or worse if I even commented in said thread in the past and just completely forgot the existence of this mod... I apologize as my college years have left me with a few long term side effects.

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Grey
974 Posts
Can you take a close up pic of the top portion of splitter between the winglet and halfway distance of the lower bumper intakes? I'd like to compare vs mine.
The sun had already set, but I grabbed my shop light and took some quick pics. Hopefully these show the weave well enough.
Automotive tire Cable Automotive exterior Auto part Rim
Grille Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper
Hood Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting Car
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Fender
Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting Bumper Rim

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
891 Posts
Here's Jeff's and my car at the show.
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Jeff, you need to get your post count up to 10 so you can use the PM feature. It was nice meeting you two. We have our club meeting on Thursday (in 2 days) at about 6PM at Apple Blossom Brewing in Fay, if you want to come. Open to all, of course.

6081 - 6100 of 6117 Posts