The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting this as every other E has one going and sick and tired of the broken record right now...

Ill start-
Pulling the trigger on TVS 1320 blower and throwing the stock MP62 in the trash. Another member and I will be going similar routes and documenting the experience with the 1320. Complete New engine build will be finished end of month from DRS hopefully. Headers will be back from coating in few weeks, which should help things back there with some heat. Will be installing new clutch and lightweight flywheel, and then enjoying the car as much as I possibly can before the snow starts flying.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,983 Posts
Will you be using the stock manifold, intercooler, etc? Please document the TVS 1320 details, as I'm interested in this down the road too!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will you be using the stock manifold, intercooler, etc? Please document the TVS 1320 details, as I'm interested in this down the road too!
Yes the TVS uses the stock manifold, and I’ll continue using the BOE A/A IC as I don’t have a need to go to A/W since I have supplemental cooling, and I’m not running the car like a scalded dog often, but there is always the upgrade possibility. Will be running a 85mm pulley and retaining A/C so this should give a pleasant outcome and not be pushing anything near their limits, with the possibility to always up the boost and run harder. With the stock MP62 costing a whopping $1700 for a full rebuild, and a new one at $2200, it’s just not worth using them anymore when you can upgrade for not much more.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Exige
262 Posts
About to go hit the start button on mine. the starter has been hit and miss. So for the past week I have started it every day, now the started is working every time. I think the sitting for weeks sometimes a month at a time was not doing it any favors. I may take it for a short ride and wash it also.

@GDBB do you know how the TVS 1320 compares to the 900?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About to go hit the start button on mine. the starter has been hit and miss. So for the past week I have started it every day, now the started is working every time. I think the sitting for weeks sometimes a month at a time was not doing it any favors. I may take it for a short ride and wash it also.

@GDBB do you know how the TVS 1320 compares to the 900?
I think the difference is just the flow. 1320cc vs 900cc, other then that, they’re quite similar. @gfelber will chime in here im sure and be able to give you more info as he is currently on a 900.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@GDBB Did you see the Mighty Car Mods boys did this mod to their Exige. They loved it, and it looks perfectly stock, which, for me, is appealing.
Yes I have seen that and it’s one reason I’m going this way as not only is it very cost effective, but it doesn’t add complexity to the system. Keeps it somewhat “stock” if you will, and you don’t have to mess around with a specific manifold. The parts are very minimal other then the blower, mounting bracket, and pulley with proper sized belt. You’re good to go. For me going from an over spun 62 that’s just outrageous to rebuild, hell the rotors alone are almost $1000! This makes a lot more sense. 6.5 psi on 62 spun hard vs 9 on 1320 spun normal will make me a happy camper.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,983 Posts
Yes I have seen that and it’s one reason I’m going this way as not only is it very cost effective, but it doesn’t add complexity to the system. Keeps it somewhat “stock” if you will, and you don’t have to mess around with a specific manifold. The parts are very minimal other then the blower, mounting bracket, and pulley with proper sized belt. You’re good to go. For me going from an over spun 62 that’s just outrageous to rebuild, hell the rotors alone are almost $1000! This makes a lot more sense. 6.5 psi on 62 spun hard vs 9 on 1320 spun normal will make me a happy camper.
What's your plan for engine tuning?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's your plan for engine tuning?
I have two options. First one will be running the BOE300 tune I currently have, which should run just fine, and can always send it in again to get redone for exactly what I need, but others have swapped blowers on their 300 tune and the car ran just fine.
second option is my EFI X2 from DRS, and that possibly may be the better option. It itself has its ups and downs. ECU master black is also another option, but for my purposes, I’d like to retain the stock ECU for as long as I possibly can, and just bumping the blower up shouldn’t have any crazy negative effects as long as the AFRs are good. Member on here is running the 300 tune with a TVS 900 and it’s running just fine.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
But you're not on a TVS900, you're running 1320. That's a lot of flow.

I'd be worried about being too lean since you're introducing more air at every RPM than the tune expects. Can it run around town? Maybe. Will it lean-out and die if pushed? that'd be my concern.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But you're not on a TVS900, you're running 1320. That's a lot of flow.

I'd be worried about being too lean since you're introducing more air at every RPM than the tune expects. Can it run around town? Maybe. Will it lean-out and die if pushed? that'd be my concern.
I’m not saying it will be correct, but I will not know until I try. Sending the ECU to BOE to be reflashed is an option absolutely, but ive been told by others, the 300 will run just fine on 9lbs, which is the same as the 900 runs when pushed. @gfelber is running a 900 right now with the standard 300 tune and the AFRs are just fine. Just for reference on my MP62 with 2.85 pull, with EV14 550s my AFR at WOT is 10.2- 10.5 depending. Which is rich. That blower is making 7.5lbs being over spun. So upping to around 9 should lean out the mixture, which if I can get it around to where it needs to be. We also live at altitude so this will also cause a drop in boost and the car will lean out. So a 1320 at altitude may be just as good as a 900 at sea level. It’s all relative, but I understand your concerns

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,983 Posts
I’m not saying it will be correct, but I will not know until I try. Sending the ECU to BOE to be reflashed is an option absolutely, but ive been told by others, the 300 will run just fine on 9lbs, which is the same as the 900 runs when pushed. @gfelber is running a 900 right now with the standard 300 tune and the AFRs are just fine. Just for reference on my MP62 with 2.85 pull, with EV14 550s my AFR at WOT is 10.2- 10.5 depending. Which is rich. That blower is making 7.5lbs being over spun. So upping to around 9 should lean out the mixture, which if I can get it around to where it needs to be. We also live at altitude so this will also cause a drop in boost and the car will lean out. So a 1320 at altitude may be just as good as a 900 at sea level. It’s all relative, but I understand your concerns
I didn't realize the BOE tune is capable of that... I guess depending on what variables it is monitoring and whether you stay in the ranges of the programming, I could see it working. Good news for me! Looking forward to seeing your build info!

·
Registered
06 Lotus Exige
80 Posts
Please post detailed build stuffs; I have a feeling I'll be heavily researching SC/turbo options before long 😂

I was happy for a rain free day finally and drove my Exige to work. Looking forward to the drive home, as I'll take my time going through the twisty backroads ;P
Going to wash it and rotate the rear tires tonight or tomorrow in preparation of a possible autocross session on Friday @LRP.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,516 Posts
I just got the renewal for my plates and I need a new emissions test... Colorado has adopted several of CA's emissions tests and I'm researching to understand what if anything I might need to do to prep the car for testing. It used to be easy to find Colorado's testing procedures and laws but it seems sometime in the past two years they have hidden that information, or at least not posted it in plain sight. What used to be just an OBDII test might now be more involved and rumors on other forums is they now check for tunes but I cannot find anything "real" online about that. Also just signed up to instruct with the Z Car club next month, seems their annual convention is in Colorado this year and they need some instructors for their planned HPDE day. I'm not even sure what I've just signed up for as I cannot find an agenda and they say all cars need to be inspected but I couldn't find their tech form and have no idea if instructors for that club can inspect their own cars. So while I'm not driving the Exige I'm researching a few things.

·
Administrator
5,849 Posts
Glad to see you going the REV route! Between that and new built engine maybe you can stay out of the engine bay for a while.
I'm surprised though that you just don't straight away go with the Fastworks tune and check off all the boxes on your build and let the tune be the best it can be for you. Yes what you have "can" work but I bet it will be like my early REV300 Koldfire tune. Sadly lacking in potential. I gained 38HP with the tune, headers and CAI and a ton of mid range over the previous REV300 tune.

As much of a perfectionist that you are go for it now. It will take a month so if you send off now or buy a spare and do it like I did you will be that much ahead of the game....and snow.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Glad to see you going the REV route! Between that and new built engine maybe you can stay out of the engine bay for a while.
I'm surprised though that you just don't straight away go with the Fastworks tune and check off all the boxes on your build and let the tune be the best it can be for you. Yes what you have "can" work but I bet it will be like my early REV300 Koldfire tune. Sadly lacking in potential. I gained 38HP with the tune, headers and CAI and a ton of mid range over the previous REV300 tune.

As much of a perfectionist that you are go for it now. It will take a month so if you send off now or buy a spare and do it like I did you will be that much ahead of the game....and snow.
Good idea. Unfortunately getting ahold
Of BOE and the man Phil who actually does the tunes is worse then pulling teeth these days. So I got quoted from Ashley at BOE 2-3 months to get a reflash, which to me, for $875 is unacceptable time frame. Maybe just run till winter with the current and then possibly try X2 if I get bored enough. And just to state it, I’m not going the REV route as I feel like what BOE charges for that setup is crazy high. So it’ll be the same blower they use, just utilizing the existing stock manifold and A/A system. Should be plenty good for me, and will cost just a little bit more then what a darn MP62 rebuild is these days.

·
Administrator
5,849 Posts
You won't get ahold of him. He will get in touch with you if he has questions based on tune request sheet from my past experiences. I think it was 5 weeks for me in 2019 surely to be more now with covid delays. I see delays from the covid recovery in most everything I do. Had four sub contractors out spend loads of time going over plans and not one would return calls or emails after. Project too much or beyond their capabilities. Better now than in mid construction. For that matter my Dell XPS has been waiting parts for a month and Dell won't even commit to time even though exchange has been approved for almost a week. Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,662 Posts
basic cosmetic maintenance / wax job / detail. It hasn't always been this way so I am enjoying it. A tree killed my daily driver so until I get another my Exige is my daily. Honestly, It hasn't been that bad. I have maintenance ocd so my unit is so overly maintained I need to drive it to warrant any more wrenching.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,983 Posts
I got the Sonic Fury exhaust fully installed last night. I broke an exhaust hanger bolt when I removed the old exhaust and needed to get a new bolt so it took a little longer than it otherwise should... I can't wait to give it a go! My current commute to work is boring interstate, with Mad-Max like drivers, and it is 93 & humid so I won't really test it out until this weekend unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I got the Sonic Fury exhaust fully installed last night. I broke an exhaust hanger bolt when I removed the old exhaust and needed to get a new bolt so it took a little longer than it otherwise should... I can't wait to give it a go! My current commute to work is boring interstate, with Mad-Max like drivers, and it is 93 & humid so I won't really test it out until this weekend unfortunately.
Nice! I have a sonic fury sitting new in the box still awaiting me to finish the car. I also cannot wait to see how it is. I had a BOE ST before and the drone was insane, had to part with it. Did you go with the OG or Stinger?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts