The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Phantom Black Exige S
253 Posts
But you're not on a TVS900, you're running 1320. That's a lot of flow.

I'd be worried about being too lean since you're introducing more air at every RPM than the tune expects. Can it run around town? Maybe. Will it lean-out and die if pushed? that'd be my concern.
The 1320 will obviously flow more, but we're going to keep the boost at moderate levels, e.g., 9 PSI so it's apples to apples in that regard. However, the 1320 is more efficient by a few percent vs. the TVS 600 is a LOT more efficient than the MP62, thus cooler intake charge at the same boost levels. One can take advantage of timing to increase HP under those conditions.

I've posted these compressor maps before, but not all three together. The yellow lines are estimates based on the 2ZZ at 9 PSI of boost, 60 degrees F ambient, sea level (and several other parameters). Note the intersection in the efficiency islands and the difference among the blowers. Also note the relative differences in supercharger RPM. First is the MP62- about 62% efficiency and over 10K RPM:

Next the TVS 900- 70% efficiency and 12,000 RPM (this is why they run smaller pulleys vs MP62)

Now, the TVS 1320, (didn't add the lines)- 73% efficiency and around 8,500 RPM

Adding more boost generates more heat and rapid loss of efficiency with the smaller blowers. The 1320 is good to about 15 PSI. Is more is desired, options would be REVX/whipple or turbo.

The REV 300 uses this supercharger with no intercooling. This is typically okay at the boost level BOE employs unless one is running hard on track and high ambient temps. We are going to use the 1320 with an air-to-air setup (both using BOE intercoolers) for now with additional ducting to add airflow.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Yes I have seen that and it’s one reason I’m going this way as not only is it very cost effective, but it doesn’t add complexity to the system. Keeps it somewhat “stock” if you will, and you don’t have to mess around with a specific manifold. The parts are very minimal other then the blower, mounting bracket, and pulley with proper sized belt. You’re good to go. For me going from an over spun 62 that’s just outrageous to rebuild, hell the rotors alone are almost $1000! This makes a lot more sense. 6.5 psi on 62 spun hard vs 9 on 1320 spun normal will make me a happy camper.
Makes good sense to me. I hope you post the details as you progress, I may want to do the same on my S240. I have an RLS A/A intercooler with side scoops, twin Spal puller fans, and a large roof scoop, so I'd like to avoid switching to an A/W system.

In keeping with the thread topic: in the last few days I washed, cleaned the interior, and cleaned 5 track days worth of rubber off my Exige (2 days were at WGI immediately after an IMSA weekend, never seen so many big rubber goobers on the inner surface of my wheels). I also added an external mic to my SmartyCam, I hope to get less wind noise with careful placement of the mic.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,524 Posts
I also added an external mic to my SmartyCam, I hope to get less wind noise with careful placement of the mic.
Let me know how that works out and where you find the best place for the mic. I have to almost watch my videos on mute.

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
@gfelber and my 1320 kits about to be boxed up and on their way to us. Super excited and lucky to be able to get this to pair with my DRS built motor.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Where did you order these from? They come with the right manifold and mounting bracket too?
They utilize the stock Exige S Manifold so we can run the A/A IC instead of going to a charge cooler, which if we choose in the future, is always an option.

·
Registered
253 Posts
They utilize the stock Exige S Manifold so we can run the A/A IC instead of going to a charge cooler, which if we choose in the future, is always an option.
No only that, but we have the flexibility of using different sized heat exchangers for charge coolers and could mount these to the side or over the engine like the OEM A2A setup. Is a work in progress!

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Exige
265 Posts
Pushed it out of the garage and gave it a good bath. Storm came up when I was almost done so I finished in the rain put it back in the garage and dried it off.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have had a Sonic Fury exhaust on my Elise for over two years and it's fantastic. Quiet when I'm driving slow and at low RPMs through residential neighborhoods or just cruising down the highway, and a real screamer when I hit the gas. Exactly what I want.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,991 Posts
I have had a Sonic Fury exhaust on my Elise for over two years and it's fantastic. Quiet when I'm driving slow and at low RPMs through residential neighborhoods or just cruising down the highway, and a real screamer when I hit the gas. Exactly what I want.
That is what I have noticed so far! It screams and will pop and crackle if you have any throttle and let off at 5K+ rpms. The pops are really fun, but I feel a little bad for poor pedestrians because they are quite loud! Haven't been able to try interstate driving yet to see how well it quiets down, but so far I'm happy.

My only concern is how hot it is getting around the U-bend of the exhaust. I have a naked rear end and run header wrap around the U-bend and have done so for years without any issues. However, I don't know if it's always been that hot and I'm only noticing it now that I threw the new exhaust on and am paying more attention or if it is an actual issue.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hmmm, interesting question about the heat concern. Honestly it's not something I ever noticed, but neither have I looked for any heat issues. Like I said, I've been running the Sonic Fury exhaust for over two years and never had any issues. Let us know if you do find an issue.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hmmm, interesting question about the heat concern. Honestly it's not something I ever noticed, but neither have I looked for any heat issues. Like I said, I've been running the Sonic Fury exhaust for over two years and never had any issues. Let us know if you do find an issue.
Is your car supercharged?

·
Registered
253 Posts
That is what I have noticed so far! It screams and will pop and crackle if you have any throttle and let off at 5K+ rpms. The pops are really fun, but I feel a little bad for poor pedestrians because they are quite loud! Haven't been able to try interstate driving yet to see how well it quiets down, but so far I'm happy.

My only concern is how hot it is getting around the U-bend of the exhaust. I have a naked rear end and run header wrap around the U-bend and have done so for years without any issues. However, I don't know if it's always been that hot and I'm only noticing it now that I threw the new exhaust on and am paying more attention or if it is an actual issue.
Do you have the above diffuser exit? Curious as to which U-bend you're referring. Thx.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,991 Posts
Do you have the above diffuser exit? Curious as to which U-bend you're referring. Thx.
Yeah I have an above diffuser exit. I'm referring to the bend right after the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeah I have an above diffuser exit. I'm referring to the bend right after the catalytic converter.
Interesting. It's a straight-through design I think, so shouldn't generate excessive heat. You running with the cat? I would assume not, give your comment on pops and crackles. :unsure:

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,991 Posts
Interesting. It's a straight-through design I think, so shouldn't generate excessive heat. You running with the cat? I would assume not, give your comment on pops and crackles. :unsure:
The exhaust is a straight through design. I also run the stock cat because I have to pass emissions testing down here and I also don't want to deal with the smell with a cat-less exhaust. I suspect the heat is normal, but I am now more cognizant of the heat because I'm checking the exhaust more often to make sure there are no issues.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts