The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 2006 Elise from the local VW dealer. Has less than 16K miles on it and the body and interior both appear pristine. I drove it and it seems pretty nice (first time that I've ever drove a Lotus, so not sure if I'm a good judge). Not entirely sure I'm sold on the "Aubergine Purple", but from inside the car, who cares?

I've been also looking at a 2006 Porsche Boxter S which has similar performance numbers to the Lotus, albeit you can definitely feel the weight of the Boxter when you drive it.

Driving the Lotus was certainly an adventure -- and pretty damn addicting.

Anyway, would like some advice on what a fair price would be for this particular Lotus (my apologies since I'm sure this is a common question by newbies).

Ji3m (the 3 is silent)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Color's in the eye of the beholder, but the purple is one of the least popular colors, in terms of dealer orders and what you ever see out and about. IMO it hurts the car's resale value. I've seen one in person and thought it was awful. But I certainly get that it's a very subjective thing.

Having said that, the dealer is a few grand optimistic IMO, but in a decent color I could certainly see a low-mileage '06 sport pack, unmolested Elise WITH SERVICE RECORDS as a $30-32K car. I'd want a PPI and a ECU dump before I paid that kind of money.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If it was a more popular color and everything checked out (e.g., service records and clean PPI), I'd say around $32k.

Given the color, however, unless you absolutely love it, I would suggest not paying more than $30k. Unless you own a body shop or are skilled in that profession and have a serious amount of time, a color change is arguably the most costly change to a car.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
You can't fault the dealer for not knowing the true name of the interior which is biscuit and not magnolia however why they didn't go with the factory Yokohama A048 tires in the rear to match the front tires is beyond me :shrug: That said, their asking price is not out of whack and I would assume they'd let it go for $32K. Nice color by the way but to each their own..

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
You may want to ping Moto44 on the forum. He's now managing service, but was in sales for FVMC for a long time and knows the market well (he's also owned a number of Loti). He can probably give you a good gauge, but the others are all well in line.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'd say $32 is still high... But it is a dlr. Private sale this would go for 28-30. There are many other (colors) that go in the same range with sim/ less miles. If you like the color then it is worth more... Otherwise keep looking for the color you do like.

·
Registered
760 Posts
How dare you guys! Aubergine is my favorite color!!! I'd gladly trade you my Storm Titanium for AP any day! Am I crazy?!?! D=

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I wouldnt go above 25k, the color limits the appeal and that is only going to hurt future resale if this is a factor in your purchasing decision. Color is a poweful persuasion, look at all those Yellow H2's gathering dust at dealerships now.

My suggestion...Don't settle for anything less than your "perfect ride."

Be patient, these cars pop up and it will be well worth the wait!

·
Such Administrating
6,860 Posts
Man, I almost planned on coming down to dallas this weekend and bringing the lotus...I would have loved to just go look at it and check it out with you.

I honestly don't mind the color. 06's seem to be selling for around 30k and up, but I think 32k is a fair offer.

I waited forever until an elise came for sale in the color and option package I wanted. And I finally found a great car and bought it. Patience is definitely a good thing when buying a lotus.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I would say 27-30K is about fair from a dealer. The color is a turn off although it looks well cared for. Mileage is good for a 06 and you got the hard top too. But pay for what you want, don't settle on a color you don't like so much.

FWIW, I paid $29900.00 for mine, and it had higher miles and no hard top... same model year and I had some dings and wear and tear I had to fix. I paid perhaps 1-2k higher than I wanted or should have but I don't feel I got ripped off. Then again I didn't get a great deal either...

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
Two months ago the price would have been in line. The winter price drop and demand drop is here and prices have dropped. I would offer $30k IF you like the color. Otherwise keep looking. A large percentage of us here searched on the national level and found the car with the exact options, color, and mileage we wanted. I bought mine 3000 miles away BUT it was exactly what I wanted in every aspect AND had over $35000.00 in upgrades that I basically got for free! I know once you have that first drive you can be absolutely consumed until you have your very own, but it is worth the wait to find the exact one you desire. Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I look at it this way.. Would you be happy with the color? Are you prepared that selling it privately if you decided to do so that you may take a hit because of the color? Not saying that the color is ugly by any means. But if someone is looking at that car and looking at a bright red elise at the same time for the same price, even if they have to travel they will probably swing for the red. Same scenario with comparing it to other popular colors.

Now put yourself in that same situation. Can you find a similar elise in that price range but a color you like? $36k is a lot to pay IMO for that Elise in that trim/color. $36k is a LOT of money to pay for something that you are not 100% happy with. But hey its also about driving it. If you do like the color and aren't worried about a private resale value, I say go for it if its what you want.

I am very tired and sleepy. If non of the above makes sense please disregard and move along lol

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ji "silent 3" m,

As others have said, take your time and look around the nation for the car you want. You shouldn't be talking yourself into a color. Decide what you want first and then start looking for it. You may not find an exact match, but you'll get close to it.

That car is very nice, especially with the touring package, sport package, starshield and hardtop. But there are other cars out there with the same options and more for the same price.

With regards to a hardtop, you may find a car without one. Expect to pay around $1000 for a hardtop and then another $200 - $500 to have it painted.

I know I didn't answer your question but my point is there is a car out there that you don't have to talk yourself into buying.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Instead, for the same price you could get an 06 exige, or for less an 05 elise of any other color, and paint it what you will....

I am not impressed, rare color, but so is Aztec bronze...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts