The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Almost every time I drive my car I get a compliment on the cars looks:drool:. This is usually followed by "What did you pay for it?":shrug:
i think it is strange to ask car prices from stangers
My standard answer is "More than I would have liked too, but less than it is worth"
I will generally ask "what they thought I paid for the car?"
without exception people guess north of $100k. today I had someone that he was sure he saw one for sale for $250k:nanner:

My other favorite question is "who makes the car?"

converation goes abit like this

Stranger: "nice car. who makes it?"
Me: "Lotus"
Stranger: "Who makes Lotus?"
Me: "A chap from England by the name of Colin Chapman drew it on my garage floor with chalk and built it right there"
Stranger: "does it have Scissor doors"
Me: No, that would be a Lamborghini or a early 90s honda civic
Stranger:" Man, I sure love Italian Cars!"
Me: It's Brit........ Oh, never mind. I'm going to leave now.rotfl

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had a guy the other day say, "What'd you pay for it, a hundred grand?" - which is typically what people guess in my experience.

My favorite response (since I bought my Evora on the secondary market) is "Less than you paid for your Acura SUV." That will really put a perplexed look on the guy's face.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Almost every time I drive my car I get a compliment on the cars looks:drool:. This is usually followed by "What did you pay for it?":shrug:
i think it is strange to ask car prices from stangers
My standard answer is "More than I would have liked too, but less than it is worth"
I will generally ask "what they thought I paid for the car?"
without exception people guess north of $100k. today I had someone that he was sure he saw one for sale for $250k:nanner:

My other favorite question is "who makes the car?"

converation goes abit like this

Stranger: "nice car. who makes it?"
me: "Lotus"
Strange: "Who makes Lotus?"
Me: "A chap from England by the name of Colin Chapman drew it on my garage floor with chalk and built it right there"
Strange: "does it have Scissor doors"
Me: No, that would be a Lamborghini or a early 90s honda civic
Stranger:" Man, I sure love Italian Cars!"
Me: It's Brit........ Oh, never mind. I'm going to leave now.rotfl
I think you must have been around on the west coast last week, I had the same conversation with a guy about my 2+0.
RonTADTS

·
Registered
545 Posts
I always reply that the car is Cayman money, which makes sense to most people. Although Germans typically don't ask about the price, they only comment on the beauty.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I know this is about Evoras but someone once insisted that I'd paid $300,000 for my Elise even after I'd told him what I had actually paid.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I know this is about Evoras but someone once insisted that I'd paid $300,000 for my Elise even after I'd told him what I had actually paid.
I have the same experience. When people guess at mine its always at least 100k. They are a bit surprised when they find out they paid more for their Lexus.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I have the same experience. When people guess at mine its always at least 100k. They are a bit surprised when they find out they paid more for their Lexus.
I've gotten to the point where I'm just throwing out random numbers to see people's reactions... Get alot of "ohhhh" or"woaaahh" or "no way" or "you're kiddin' me!"

I once told the guy I won it in church raffle, and he says to me, "Lordy lordy lordy" lol

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Sometimes I hate people. The ? I get the most is what do i do for a living, I tell them its a Toyota:rolleyes::rolleyes:
It comes with the territory. They don't realize how many times we ask this question...

What's bad are people who ask whether I financed it or if you bought it outright... Seriously rude IMO. I've been thrown that question a couple of times.. Both times, I said, "That's none of your business" ... with a smile of course.. Usually shuts them right up.

·
Registered
498 Posts
It comes with the territory. They don't realize how many times we ask this question...

What's bad are people who ask whether I financed it or if you bought it outright... Seriously rude IMO. I've been thrown that question a couple of times.. Both times, I said, "That's none of your business" ... with a smile of course.. Usually shuts them right up.
The world has changed its getting nuts when you have nice stuff. I remember when I was younger and when I drove by a nice car or house, I always thought to myself one of those days it could be me. So many people expect everything for doing nothing. Last month at Cars N Coffee a friends new M3 was keyed. Why would anyone go to a car show to damage a car + last week my fiends 2008 F430 was egged, its getting crazy.

·
Illegal Alien
4,615 Posts

Just tell them you stole it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It's not the value, it is the perception.

If you buy a sports car you are a doctor or something with money to burn. On the other hand if you buy a SUV for the same money, you are a sensible practical man.

So what is so sensible about buying a SUV that never goes offroad or has 4x4 selected, (except to go over the kerb or medium strip) sucks down the fuel and has tyres that are as expensive as our performace ones if not more.

People judge you because you are not doing what everyone else is doing. Buying SUVs is fashion statements. It is now becoming so rediculous that they are making sport SUVs. A sportscar 4wd SUV with ultra low profile tyres and a fastback, you'll break a rim going up a kerb. LOL It's so stupid, or it would be if they weren't selling

Fashion is a rediculous thing.

Rant over.

·
Registered
396 Posts

If you buy a sports car you are a doctor or something with money to burn. On the other hand if you buy a SUV for the same money, you are a sensible practical man.

So what is so sensible about buying a SUV that never goes offroad or has 4x4 selected, (except to go over the kerb or medium strip) sucks down the fuel and has tyres that are as expensive as our performace ones if not more.

People judge you because you are not doing what everyone else is doing. Buying SUVs is fashion statements. It is now becoming so rediculous that they are making sport SUVs. A sportscar 4wd SUV with ultra low profile tyres and a fastback, you'll break a rim going up a kerb. LOL It's so stupid, or it would be if they weren't selling

Rant over.
QFT! This is the conversation I have (albeit in a nice way) at least twice a week to try to prevent people from being "haters". It's funny how relatively little money it takes to blow people's minds and induce massive jealousy - or regret (in the case of the upper middle class dad who paid 85k for an X5 that drives like a tank).

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Rant over.
The one problem I have is perception:confused:

I am a doctor ( not a rich one, frankly don't know to many "rich" doctors in my area, managed healthcare fixed that) sorry for the rant
I have patients that tell me I must be charging too much to be able to afford such an exotic car. the same patients that make half as much as me but have a bigger house, a lake house, a boat, and love to eat out. these same patients get mad when they have to pay a $20 copay , like I picked their insurance or something. they forget that copay IS my paycheck, in theis day of high copays it is almost all my paycheck. sorry ranting again:shrug:
I love the way people look at the car, but in the back of my mind I ask myself, " are they admiring or hating?"
As someone who works and depend on the public for my income I have to be very careful of how people percieve my lifestyle.
Never talk Politics, religion, or Cars:no:

·
Premium Member
6,244 Posts
Drug money bought it. Any more questions?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm glad to hear everyone has experienced the same issue. Some people love it and some are super judgmental about it.
It's funny because i keep thinking if had I bought a boat everyone would want to go fishing and no one would think I spent too much.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 20 of 32 Posts