The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm graduating my 4 years of college in May and thinking of the various careers out there that can fund my toys. The past couple years I've been daytrading pennystocks between classes, stuffing my brain with real estate investing books, eating ramon noodles. I've thought of Pharmaceutical Sales. Also thought about going into Mortgage Banking(Broker) and do Real Estate(have my licesne) over weekends. Houses around my area are 400,000-1.5 million. I would consider Corporate America if quality management jobs could be acquired in 1-2 years coming out of college but that won't happen. I have a Self-employed, business owning mindset. I'm just really curious what you guys do to fund a $40,000 car and what way are you paying for it? Home Equity, Lines of Credit, CASH, etc.? And what do you suggest for me as a career(industry) that yields high income this decade?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wouldn't count on daytrading pennystocks, thats for sure!

I don't think anyone's going to be able to provide the magic job for you, it's just part of life that it (usually) takes time to find that job/career that satisfies you on a daily basis and a financial basis. You're not supposed to be able to afford a $40k car let alone a $100k car right out of college. There are plenty of cheaper cars that are lots of fun that Most who buy those have worked for years and years (talkin 20,30,40,50), working hard and saving, for their dream car(s).

The last thing you want to do is start off life in severe debt. You'll be digging out forever...!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Do yourself a favor: do NOT get into debt, especially, IMHO, both the real estate market and the stock market are on the very edge of a severe correction.

Washington Mutual is beginning to layoff their people in the home loan division. So, the real estate refi game is probably coming to a close.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
CarreraScott said:
Wow, must be a big market for that with all the new plasma TVs on the market these days!
I was in on the ground floor, made a killing!

I'm looking a little pale these days though. :(

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Occupation: editorial director (for four consumer computer magazines).

How I'm paying:Hopefully about half of the $46K will be cash; the other half via either traditional financing or a home equity loan.

I've been working freelance on the side, cutting all frivolous spending, and saving monthly for some type of sports car for at least a year now. And truth be told, I still don't know if I can swing it. The final determiners will be what interest rate I can secure, what insurance costs look like, and a best-guess estimate of what it will cost to maintain two cars, a Lotus and my M3.

My advice to you: Unless you are already making six figures, the Lotus will cause more harm than good. (This assuming that you'll be insuring and maintaining two cars.) As for career choices, you'd be surprised by what pays a lot of money. Cops and auto assembly line workers who work overtime make well in excess of $100,000, while many so-called "management jobs" don't pay much at all.

Actually, the best way to "make money" is to live in an area with a low cost of living. The ungodly amount of money that I spent on my 700 square foot one-bedroom condo would have bought me a four-bedoom dream home in many other parts of the country.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Male prostitute.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Mainframe programmer.

Taking out at least a 40K loan with my CU.

Have no bad debts so I can afford $600 - 700 payments!

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Radiologist.
Don't go to medical school...:(

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Engineer by day, network marketer by night. I plan on taking out a loan for the majority of it (~30k), but like nxm150 it will be my only significant payment besides my rent.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Another engineer by day here. In fact, I am an Electrical/Hardware Engineer at a medium sized company in Annapolis (yes that is in Maryland ... it is the @$#% capital). Like a few of the other guys out there, I have few expenses. I am 29 years old and have managed to not impregnate or marry anyone as of yet, so I can live a little bit cheaper than a lot of other people my age. Plus, I plan to keep it that way for a few more years so I can enjoy the finer things in life ... like the Elise.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts