The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazon.com: Skil 2372-01 7.2-Volt Li-Ion Power Wrench: Home Improvement

Looks kind of cheap, but I can't find something similar in a higher end brand. Think it can do the 12 or so diffuser bolts in a single charge? I think I nearly got carpal tunnel last oil change. I dont have air tools (nor do I want them) and I am afraid one of the manlier impacts may be a bit too much for those tiny guys.......

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts

Looks kind of cheap, but I can't find something similar in a higher end brand. Think it can do the 12 or so diffuser bolts in a single charge? I think I nearly got carpal tunnel last oil change. I dont have air tools (nor do I want them) and I am afraid one of the manlier impacts may be a bit too much for those tiny guys.......

That one would probably work OK, but I use this one: Amazon.com: Skil 2336-01 3.6-Volt Mini-Drill/Driver: Home Improvement I actually purchased it to remove/install all the screws for the inspection panels and interior parts that need to be removed from my airplane every year for its annual inspection. I later found it works great for the undertray/diffuser, because it fits in the palm of your hand and gives you the clearance to the floor to allow you to zip out the screws easily. I have air tools as well, but I find this little driver to be much easier and faster to use.

BTW: The price shown on Amazon for this driver can easily be beat at your local home improvement store.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have this tool you listed. It works great. I don't have the 1/4 turn diffuser bolts, so this really helps out. Removes all of them and installs them easy with 1 charge. Prob could do it a few times.

I don't plan on changing to 1/4 bolts, so this works well for me, not to mention many other useful purposes for it around the house.

If you're not doing 1/4 bolts, then this is a usable solution, and the advantage over air tools, is there is no hose, and it's easy to use.
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awsome thanks for the tips guys. I think Ill order the skill tool. The 1/4 turn fastener kit looks nice too but Ill stick to stock for now. I did see there is a ingersol rand electric socket as well. It looks like a nice tool but is 150 with no Batteries. I like to buy better tools these days but I think that is over kill.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Once you use the quarter turn fasteners you would never go back to the old way! Dropped the panel this morning in under 2 minutes!

Jerry

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i use a black/decker electric screw driver, the pistol grip one that looks liek a squirt gun - i wanna say it was like 40 bux at lowes or target or walmart or wherever i got it.

i like it because the torque is "hand tight" so works perfect - not too powerfull, not too weak - just right.

·
Registered
361 Posts
air tools.

·
Registered
392 Posts
i use a black/decker electric screw driver, the pistol grip one that looks liek a squirt gun - i wanna say it was like 40 bux at lowes or target or walmart or wherever i got it.

i like it because the torque is "hand tight" so works perfect - not too powerfull, not too weak - just right.
I used an electric screwdriver too before I got the 1/4 turn fasteners and it worked very well. Actually, compared to the electric screwdriver, the 1/4 turn fasteners only save a couple of minutes, but I think they're a more elegant solution. :)

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
I used an electric screwdriver too before I got the 1/4 turn fasteners and it worked very well. Actually, compared to the electric screwdriver, the 1/4 turn fasteners only save a couple of minutes, but I think they're a more elegant solution. :)
+1:up:

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Air tools are for cheaters and girly men with no arm strength! On a completely unrelated note I have no room for a decent compressor in my garage.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
And air tools have hoses. Wireless is the new way to go in the 21st century! Just looks what they were able to do with PHONES! WIRELESS! :D
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
648 Posts
But air tools make life so much easier. But I'm old school and like hand tools. Nothing beats the [email protected]#$ you bar for those pesky bolts.

Air tools for removal only never install in my book.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts