The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im pretty frugal when it comes to everything. Growing up I didnt have a good grasp on finances and dug myself into a hole, it took many years to dig myself out and to a 800+ credit score. Due to that I find myself extremely frugal now with almost everything, with the exception of buying my son toys and stuff of that nature. Im good with a 1.00 Lunchable and a bag of chips for lunch and a lean cuisine for dinner. But I typically splurge when I go on vacation, such as a steak that cost 60 dollars or a nice hotel/condo on the beach. I find that thats really what I splurge on, which is good because I like to invest most of my money. I drive a Mazda 3 Hatchback and use the Lotus as a corner carver through the backroads of Virginia, i have never actually taken it to a destination other than the gas station. I live well below my means, I feel like I need to splurge on a few more things to enjoy life. What do you all like to splurge on?

Reactions: 6TVRs+

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Racing. As Peter Egan put it, "Racing makes a heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty."

We didn't have two nickels to rub together until my sons were out of college and the tuition paid. Once they were done, I was able to splurge on racing Formula Ford. I love blowing every single dollar. Highlights were the Monterey Reunion and the Road America 50th Anniversary for Formula Ford last year.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
112 Posts
my wife and car parts atm

"happy wife, happy life"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cycling.

Somedays I feel ready to give up my life long affection with cars. Replace them all with bicycles. I'm already trending that way, as my lifestyle is changing.

Sit in a car all day driving, fat. Or get on a carbon fiber torture rack on two wheels and kill 3,000 calories in one morning.

And my kids are getting older, so I'll be back on a motorcycle in a few years. That'll make up for the automotive loss.

It's cheaper to maintain 3 road bicycles and a motorbike than it is to keep 5 cars running strong.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
My wife wears the pants in our relationship. So I do her bidding and splurge on what she allows to be splurged on. She allowed me to have a lotus, which is great.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mostly high end audio and video. Yesterday ordered a Sovaro cooler which is the finest ice chest ever made. Bought a $3,000- S.T. Dupont lighter once.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cycling.

Somedays I feel ready to give up my life long affection with cars. Replace them all with bicycles. I'm already trending that way, as my lifestyle is changing.

Sit in a car all day driving, fat. Or get on a carbon fiber torture rack on two wheels and kill 3,000 calories in one morning.

And my kids are getting older, so I'll be back on a motorcycle in a few years. That'll make up for the automotive loss.

It's cheaper to maintain 3 road bicycles and a motorbike than it is to keep 5 cars running strong.
I ride 3-4 miles every morning with a old bike I got from a local store. I live in Mennonite territory and this was one they had in the shop basement for 2 years becuase the guy never came and picked it up, got it for $75.00 The child hauler cost me $200. Ive been meaning to get a new bike, but they are just so freaking expensive now. I need to get a new one because this one does not take hill to good and im limited to where I can go now because we have some massive hills that are hard for me to get up with a child hauler attached to the bike.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,557 Posts
Currently, and fortunatly I have them down to one. That was not always so.

OCD car maintenance fetish.

My case is strange. I am constantly looking for things that need fixed, replaced or serviced. This is still my current primary splurge sector.

For the Lotus my next dash will be the Penske's shocks and then maybe those toybox Hethel rims I always harp about. I feel low level anxiety when my vehicles are not at a acceptable state of tune or readiness. RE: my lotus, it is so bad that I cannot justify any more maintenance until I actually drive it more. Just the same it still "sparks Joy" and so I keep doing it.

Most recent was entire replacement walnut veneer set for my Jaguar XJS, and I thought the Lotus had an appetite for my money...

What is there to complain about?

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
385 Posts
In one word: Experiences. We splurge on experiences.

We've learned that what's important in life are the experiences you have and the people with whom you share them. Thus while our now-18YO son was growing up, we would "take that trip" or "do that thing" which interested him because he would never be that age again. As a result we've traveled all over the world together, played with all sorts of gadgets, he has a very well rounded life perspective, and he's now (virus notwithstanding) attending CalPoly pursuring a degree in Engineering.

With this major shift in our family's lifestyle, my wife and I have started pursuing new and different experiences ourselves. She got certified for open water scuba (I've been certified since high school) and if this virus thing would ever settle down we'd resume taking trips to the Caribbean 3-4 times a year for diving. In fact, that's what tipped us over into buying our Evora GT... "If we can't dive, at least we can drive". A performance car is another experience to have, and to share.

When my parents were in their declining years, I noticed that the currency of the realm for older folks is the stories they share with each other. Even if they can't physically do new things at that point in their lives, they relive the things they did earlier and trade stories back and forth. We've spent our lives banking lots of experiences and stories and we'll keep creating new ones until we can't anymore. We intend to be well stocked with memories and stories when it's our turn in the retirement home. Our Lotus is a big part of that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's a good question. I suppose the definition of "splurge." If it's unnecessary expenses for entertainment, I'd say mine are...

Cars (Currently Evora 400)
Bikes (Currently CBR500R, CBR650R, and CBR1000RR...yes, I'm a Honda fanboy)
Golf (I don't golf at expensive places, and my clubs were less than $300, but I do it fairly regularly).
Vacation
Dining Out

·
Registered
10 Posts
Metal and rock concerts and festivals. And salt. I have like 7-8 different salts. Mostly sea salts. A couple from France. One from some greek island. A couple from New England. One from Bonaire. And of course a Himalayan pink salt.

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
385 Posts
We got some Bonaire salt the last time we were on the island. Very coarse, like rock salt, we grind it in real time when we use it.

You can see the literal mountains of salt on the south end of the island from nearly anywhere on Bonaire. Some excellent diving at the Salt Pier there too, when there isn't a ship getting loaded with salt!

·
Registered
10 Posts
We got some Bonaire salt the last time we were on the island. Very coarse, like rock salt, we grind it in real time when we use it.

You can see the literal mountains of salt on the south end of the island from nearly anywhere on Bonaire. Some excellent diving at the Salt Pier there too, when there isn't a ship getting loaded with salt!
Yes yes! We were on Bonaire in March. Right before Covid. Our last vacation for a while. I still feel like the best salts (and the best Oysters) in the world come from Brittany region of France. There are also some really nice sea salts being made on the Eastern seaboard of US around Cape Cod, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Leicas, Labradoodle, and Lotus!
Grew up in a middle-class family in India, had to really work hard to get into a good college on a scholarship. That hard work had to continue with a total of 15 years of schooling and training to get to my dream job now. After being in the belly of the beast for the last few months treating ICU COVID patients, at a point I wasn't sure if I could live to my next birthday. Here I am now, finally reconciled with myself that I perhaps should live my life a little. Got me a Leica M9P and M10, a Labradoodle puppy whom my family dearly loves and finally making a plunge into the Lotus world and found this wonderful community.
Cheers for living and not just being alive!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
It is still considered a splurge if it's just an amusing way to waste money? Cause then I'd say "whatever is stupid investment is memeing on r/wallstreetbets."

$TSLA Calls* #YOLO #BTFD

* This is a joke: I have no direct investment in $TSLA at the time of this post.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Other than my Lotus:

Bicycles (not road bikes but fairly decent mountain bike style like old American made GT bikes) - its kept me in decent shape .

Photography.

Firearms.

Vacations/Dine out

Home theater

·
Registered
441 Posts
Im pretty frugal when it comes to everything. Growing up I didnt have a good grasp on finances and dug myself into a hole, it took many years to dig myself out and to a 800+ credit score. Due to that I find myself extremely frugal now with almost everything, with the exception of buying my son toys and stuff of that nature. Im good with a 1.00 Lunchable and a bag of chips for lunch and a lean cuisine for dinner. But I typically splurge when I go on vacation, such as a steak that cost 60 dollars or a nice hotel/condo on the beach. I find that thats really what I splurge on, which is good because I like to invest most of my money. I drive a Mazda 3 Hatchback and use the Lotus as a corner carver through the backroads of Virginia, i have never actually taken it to a destination other than the gas station. I live well below my means, I feel like I need to splurge on a few more things to enjoy life. What do you all like to splurge on?
I'm similar to you in several ways. When growing up, our family used coupons, always had what was needed, but never extras. One Christmas after I had been asking for a 10 speed bike for Christmas on our "list", my brother happened to ask for one too. It just so happened that year I had specified a "new" 10 speed, my bro just said 10 speed... so yup, My bro got a nice used one, I got a new one in a box..IF I paid the difference of 50$! Tough decision to make with a sprained ankle at the time, but agreed. Months later, my bro got in an accident with a car, was ok, but bike done, Dad told the ladies insurance was same value as mine, he got one like mine then..free. :(
My Dad was always buying project cars and looking for sales on ANYTHING. It didn't matter if it was something he already had plenty of.. needed to buy it. Later on this was called "hoarding"... and since his passing roughly a year ago, my brother and I are still going through his stuff, can't dump it all as some valuable stuff is sometimes in there, either sentimental, or real.

That being said TL;DR, about 20 years ago I received a nice inheritance from my Dads parents, enough that at the least would ensure a safe retirement when the time came. But due to the way I was raised, I would still use coupons, eat cheap, skip higher priced items. I would occasionally splurge on rare "TVRs" or rare Palm trees or recently occasional biennial tropical trips with the International Palm Society , but generally just live 'low"..lol (I should add, I picked Home Depot stock back in 1987, which, while able to help me buy my small house, I did not have enough funds to "hit it big")

Well, I had come to realise my parents had a big estate, which I wished they would spend on themselves, but that was not Dads thing...He made it to 90..Mom only 75..I miss them both.

Still settling things out, but the beginnings of the estate allowed me to buy heavily in the March Covid market drop. Unlike the gent above, I went long on a fair amount of Tesla and currently doing very well with it!

I could retire anytime now, but I still trudge around fixing HVAC, crawling through attics and crawl spaces thinking "soon"..I may become the company HVAC "trainer".. but we will see. I guess it has allowed me to buy 2 Lotus now, but somewhere in my head when I buy things is "Is it worth it" versus "I can totally buy that no problem". I am Thankful my Dad actually instilled the frugal gene in me. I also think of who/how it will be got rid of, since going through Dads stuff.

My bro was between jobs and has said, "my job now is being retired"..and he said we should should spend almost all of it, but he and I still use coupons, etc.

Wow! That was long!

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Esprit has definitely been my biggest splurge. I’m generally frugal as well, but I found it easy to justify just over a year ago, living in a time when a single tweet from the president could make my portfolio drop 40K just hours later. Going through a divorce helped, too. Along with encouragement from my hot new (at the time) girlfriend. It was a perfect storm.

No regrets.

I was approaching 50 and found myself being more and more like my father who passed away 12 years ago. He had to be frugal, but enjoyed small splurges and impracticalities, like a 240z, a small sailboat, later a Fiero. I saw his excitement, and these things, materialistic as they might have been, made for some memorable times.

I’m sure my son senses my excitement while we’re out on drives, and revels with me when we make a repair.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Other than cars/track days?

Dining out. We live in the city and spend on food/drinks like you wouldn't believe... and I tip very well (especially these days!). I dunno the number of times I said "hey I just don't feel like cooking" and 2 hours later we're swiping $100 at some restaurant down the street. A couple times a week, at least, sometimes twice a day.

Anyways as I've gotten more money (and had kids) I've really started hating "stuff". I hate adding things to my life, as it's just another thing I need to store/keep track of/maintain. My attention span and focus is worth more than any possesion. Also more stuff means bigger houses, harder moves, making it impossible to take a new job, etc. I guess this is why people recommend spending on "experiences" and not stuff.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts