29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1990 Celica All Trak Turbo

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like I am trading my MR2 for this (I do have to sweeten the pot a little). 64k miles. Perfect condition. Leather. All the goodies.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like the All-Tracs! My brother, living in Hawaii, has an 88 or 89, I forget, with the liquid intercooler. This model does not have the scoop like the air-to-air intercooler pictured.

Expensive to fix though. Clutch work ran almost $1,500. The liquid intercooler was almost that much too and was tough to locate (I think he found one in one of the western states).

High-15's in the 1/4-mile and a good handler. And stealthly without the intercooler scoop.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, the MR2 in question is exactly the same age (1990) and with a few more miles. Sure, it's mainly only been driven on Sundays, but I think the Celica will as reliable, if not more so, than the MR2.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Randy,

Check this one out. My brother's is the first car on the second row. www.allwheelmotion.com

His comments several months ago when I mentioned autocrossing and his All-Trac: "Sounds like the All-Trac would be the ticket, except for havin to keep the BOOST up it should be able to kick ass - AWD and all. Yeah, there are just too many WRXs around nowadays! I still haven't had the chance to race
one under any condition. I do think my Celica is more unique and just as fun, but hope everything holds up because that car is expensive to repair!".

The expensive to repair comment is coming from a guy who doesn't think twice about spending $1,000 to have the wood instrument panel on his 73 BMW 3.0 refinished. He drops bucks on his cars. Keep this in mind if you're serious about picking up an All-Trac / GT4...

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
Randy sorry when you said street car do you mean just for your daily driver and not for Autox?

I do like the way it looks, especially with that scoop. However I think the picture was taken from a good angle. How big is that car, meaning is it about he same size as the late 90's Celica's?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, I bought it. :) Looks like I will pick it up on the 31st of this month.

It is the same size as a late model Celica. But it is running some boost and so will have more power and delivered to all wheel drive of course. There are also some aftermarket goodies on the car, so you can forget about GS.

The primary purpose of this car is for my daughter to commute to UCSD everyday as a student. Will I autocross it? Maybe. Like if it is raining. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Randy Chase said:

It is the same size as a late model Celica. But it is running some boost and so will have more power and delivered to all wheel drive of course. There are also some aftermarket goodies on the car, so you can forget about GS.

The primary purpose of this car is for my daughter to commute to UCSD everyday as a student. Will I autocross it? Maybe. Like if it is raining. :)
I'd give her the Lexus and drive this.

Art

·
Registered
118 Posts
Randy Chase said:

I tmay be the same size, but it's a lot heavier (3200 lbs vs 2400-2500lbs). Sure it has 200 hp/200 ft.lbs (same engine as the MR2 Turbo), but it's still heavy.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Care to guess what my Lexus weighs? :)

The weight actually was part of the reason I wanted this car.

All Wheel Drive
Heavier
Front Engined
Sturdy

Sounds great for an 18 year old. :)

Besides, when it's raining at an autocross, I will be having a blast with AWD and the weight will not be a big factor. When it's not raining, than we are in the kart and that weighs a little less.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Still scary to think that you have an 18-year old daughter Randy. So, does she autocross at all? Or is she too burned out on her father's racing (rebellious teenager)?

You do realize that you could almost be a dad for some of the SCNAX members, don't you? Of course, Art's almost old enough to be a grampa.:D Too bad he doesn't drive like one.:)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Davard said:
Still scary to think that you have an 18-year old daughter Randy. So, does she autocross at all? Or is she too burned out on her father's racing (rebellious teenager)?

You do realize that you could almost be a dad for some of the SCNAX members, don't you? Of course, Art's almost old enough to be a grampa.:D Too bad he doesn't drive like one.:)
Ha!

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Davard said:

Hey, considering I waited until later in life to have kids, I could have easily had grandkids by now. How scary. I have been married going on 26 years now.

She does autocross, but she is a little scared by it. However, it's a requirement from me in order to drive the car that she autocross it at every local practice she can. If she continues or not will be up to her. I just want her to have some car control skill.

She is not very rebellious. Other than one minor drinking incident, she has been the model kid. Now going to UCSD and planning on becoming a doctor. She has had the same boyfriend for3 years, played competitive soccer for years, and carried 6 boys through their math finals (she won the math student of the year award). Okay, she never replaces the toilet paper roll, but really not a bad kid.

Now.. my son. He took more after me.

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Okay, she never replaces the toilet paper roll, but really not a bad kid.

Now.. my son. He took more after me.
I dunno, that whole toliet paper things gets to me. She might be pretty evil in other ways! :D

I think that would be a good car for her to have... but probably not a good car for your son. I know if had a car with that much power and AWD.... man I would have been in a lot of trouble. I learned out to drive my 88 Camery at 10/10ths all the time. I knew to 1 mph how fast I could go around a few curves and only drift to the outside edge of the double yellow lines (further could have meant I'd hit someone).

How is the son?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree with Chris that parents shouldn't get there sons high-HP cars. Just too much testosterone. I had more fun in my (cousin's) '74 Vega and my '78 Monza V-6, but I knew people who crashed there hi-po cars all the time. One guy totalled 3 Corvettes in 2 years of driving, and that doesn't count all the repairable damage he did.

But girls...they just seem to have no idea how fast they are going, at least when the road is straight. They go slow (generally) on windy roads like Mulholland, but put them on Ventura Blvd, and they are doing 60mph. And on the freeway...watch out for them putting on makeup in the fast lane at 90 mph.:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts