The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I'm normally a "No cosmetic only mods" kind of person but there is one I would to try. After checking out the engine cover for the Elise I'm temepted to build something for it. I would want to swap out the current engine cover with one that is more like the Ferrari 360. It would be clear and allow the engine to be shown off. If I can find it I would use a higher temp plexiglass and try to keep the wieght down and have vents around the edge for air flow. Ideally it would weigh about the same or less. The edge would be a solid color-matched plastic that would cover the "outragously" large trunk so that you couldn't not see into it (to discourage Smash & Grabs). I've also though of replacing the plastic bits with a black wire mesh around the front radiator and the side vents. Maybe even have the Lotus Logo "etched" in it... Hmmmm....

So what ya think? And other ideas? Am I nuts for even thinking of mods before I even get the car??? :confused:

P.S. This would be a one off for me only, not to produce commercially.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
The engine cover idea is pretty cool. Of course the Celica lump is not as attractive (or expensive) as the one in a Modena....personally, I think it has plenty of commercial value. Go for it!

·
Registered
37 Posts
mmm...that'd depend on how the new engine looks in place... Unless it has some pretty fantastic headers or something, I'm assuming it'll look fairly plain through your cover. The see-through cover itself builds expectations, so...

·
Registered
818 Posts
i was thinking the same thing the other day! Im sure there is something we will be able to do to the engine area to make it look all nice and pretty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts