1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Federal regulations do not allow covers over the headlights. Moisture can get under the cover and condense causing problems with the light distribution (i.e. "fog up"). Additionally, if moisture can get in, so can dirt, etc. That's why for many years, we were only allowed "sealed beam" headlights where the bulbs were incorporated with the lens. More recently, we are allowed to have replaceable bulbs in "aero styled" housings, but the bulbs must be gasketed/sealed to the housings/lens. Covers like the ones on the Elise are not normally allowed, and that's what the DOT exemption allows.

Even old Jags used to have glass covers over the lights until around '68 or so, when the US "safety" regulations started to take effect - then the cars could no longer have the covers...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Re: lights

master said:
will this be a problem for us in the future? Or is it just the FED'S.
Shouldn't be a problem unless you are in the habit of driving through or parking in deep water. Just keep the inside of the covers clean. The rest of the world seems to get along just fine with the covers. It's just one of our many regulations to protect us from ourselves...:rolleyes:

Actually, I consider it a blessing, because our lights are European spec (E-Code) lights, and we don't have to pay extra to upgrade our lights to the European versions...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Re: Re: lights

TimMullen said:
Shouldn't be a problem unless you are in the habit of driving through or parking in deep water. Just keep the inside of the covers clean. The rest of the world seems to get along just fine with the covers. It's just one of our many regulations to protect us from ourselves...:rolleyes:

Actually, I consider it a blessing, because our lights are European spec (E-Code) lights, and we don't have to pay extra to upgrade our lights to the European versions...
How easily do the covers come off?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Re: Re: Re: lights

Genjuro said:
Gotta take the wheel well lining off; doing so is possible with the wheels still on, but easier with them off.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reponses and image. Woud had it been too difficult to fabricate at container for the headlights?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
yes, it would be. I think the problem is with the adjustments for the lights - it'd be difficult to enclose those same lights and be able to adjust them. Lotus would have to totally redesign the light module, so I think they were able to show it'd cost a lot of money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, it wouldn't be too hard. I can think of two easy solutions off the bat:

1. You make a moulded cover without a "bottom" and place it on top and then put the cover on. To get at the innards, simply remove the top and then lift the cover up and out. You have to remove the cover to adust the lights anyways. Now you'd just have to remove the inner piece as well.

2.You make a whole headlight "cassette" unit that lifts out and unplugs and disassembles for servicing.

To make a mould for either would be trivial. Painting it would be equally trivial. Putting a gasket on the edges to seal it better--still trivial and cheap.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Re: Re: Re: lights

Genjuro said:
A good question, I just got the new bulbs and would appreciate any info about how to remove the covers. Pictures would be really cool:clap:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Headlights>>>

Derek said:
A good question, I just got the new bulbs and would appreciate any info about how to remove the covers. Pictures would be really cool:clap:
Go to this link...posted this last week>>> also doing a write up on the actual bulb change process...just a word of advice...tight space and go slow and not get frustrated... if you are interested in more info just PM me and I will respond.

headlights

·
Registered
549 Posts
Tim...covers over headlights have been allowed for almost 15 years>>>

TimMullen said:
Federal regulations do not allow covers over the headlights. Moisture can get under the cover and condense causing problems with the light distribution (i.e. "fog up"). Additionally, if moisture can get in, so can dirt, etc. That's why for many years, we were only allowed "sealed beam" headlights where the bulbs were incorporated with the lens. More recently, we are allowed to have replaceable bulbs in "aero styled" housings, but the bulbs must be gasketed/sealed to the housings/lens. Covers like the ones on the Elise are not normally allowed, and that's what the DOT exemption allows.

Almost every DOT approved car for over a decade has the option of 'covered headlight assemblies'... the issue is not 'cover' but rather the actual headlamp assembly being to 'the atomosphere' Just a clarification...
M

1 - 14 of 14 Posts