The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a Lotus hat, wondering if any body can tell me what "Camel Team Lotus" Means?

Here is the link

CTL Cap - Camel (Yellow) - Coterie Press

I would like to know before I buy it and people ask me the same question.. lol

Also if anyone could point me to where I can just purchase a standard ball cap green with the lotus logo it would be much appreciated,

I'm having a harder time buying apparel than the actual car itself... Go figure :crazyeyes

·
Registered
945 Posts
From 1987 to 1990 Camel were the sponsor of the Lotus F1 team.

That wasn't exactly a good time for them... basically the era where they totally fell off the map.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

That wasn't exactly a good time for them... basically the era where they totally fell off the map.
Interesting, so maybe not the best hat choice then haha

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
It's a quality piece. I got mine from Classic Team Lotus. They have that one (better price too) and a few others.
Enter "cap" in the search field here:

Classic Team Lotus Search

·
Registered
412 Posts

1987 was a good year... 2 wins for Senna and 3rd in the championship. After that, nuthin'. :(

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
i am the proud caretaker of an original team jacket from the era, its one of my most prized possessions!

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
Interesting, so maybe not the best hat choice then haha
Nah it's still a great piece of memorabilia regardless of that time being the "beginning of the end" for the Lotus team. Camel Team Lotus had a very solid year in 1987 with Senna, and the history afterwords is fascinating as well:

1988 was the year where things went wrong. Senna left, so Lotus hired Piquet and put him in the 100T car which was generally regarded as being quite poor. Piquet was already shaken from his 1987 San Marino crash and between that and the bad car he was given, he's admitted that he completely checked out of F1 and just stuck around for the paycheck. Once the 3.5L N/A era started in 1989, the team was basically doomed - they were coming off of a losing streak and a bad chassis already, running lower on money, couldn't get a competitive engine or tires, and the DeLorean drug/tax/money laundering/fraud scandal finally caught up with Lotus management.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts