The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may be too soon to declare the Elise a hit in the US, but judging by the write ups the few test drive impressions and the rapidly growing list of deposits I think it will be. Last year BMW/MINI introduced the new MINI to the US and it certainly has been a big hit. This can only be getting other car makers to wake up and think it is worth the effort to conform to US emission and safety regs. What do you think comes to the US next ?

Opel
Triumph
Alpha
Citroen
Fiat

I'd like to see the Sunbeam Tiger get new life. I think we have only begun to see new affordable performance sports cars and coupes enter the American market, at least I hope so.

Steve

·
Registered
206 Posts
errrr !

Triumph don't actually make cars any more !
But you'll be pleased to hear they still make bikes..

I'm surprised TVR are not on your list.
You even had one in the film Swordfish !

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Alfa is a done deal - supposedly signed a contract with GM to sell them through Saab dealers starting in 2007.

That probably means no Opels, although they could appear as a Saturn or Pontiac - think Solstice. The new Saab 9-3 is an Opel.

TVR would be awesome, although pretty unlikely considering the size of the company and the hurdles required to get those cars here.

Fiat and MG would be interesting.

Renault seems like a possibility, especially since they already have an established dealer network here in Nissan.

Fun to think about...

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
Alfa offers the enthusiast the best options. I agree with Robert, it appears to be a done deal. We should see the next Alfa Spider is a few years.

The problem with most of the other Euro makes is that they are unable to compete in the US. American regulations/expectations for emissions, safety, quality and reliability are a huge hurdle for them. We have the most competitive auto market in the world.

That said, I hope some of them step up to the challenge. :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mark said:
errrr !

Triumph don't actually make cars any more !
But you'll be pleased to hear they still make bikes..

I'm surprised TVR are not on your list.
You even had one in the film Swordfish !
See how out of touch I am. I didn't know Triumph had quit cars I see someone else mentions MG, I guess I got the two mixed up. I thought TVR was a long dead marque. We need more choices here in America esp from Britan. When I was a kid we had Triumph, MG, Jag, Jenson, Lotus,Austin. I owned a Triumph Herald, a Lotus Cortina, and a Cortina GT. I wish I still had them all.

Steve

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'd love to see TVR here as well as Alfa. I would also love to see many of the oil burners imported. The BMW 330d is supposed to be an emazing car. The diesel technology has been refined quite a bit, from what I understand. They offer a lot of torque and much better economy.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
The wife seriously considered getting an Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce shortly after we first met, about 20 years ago. Really pretty car, but seemed to be very poorly constructed (quality control seemed to be an unknown concept). If they come back, hope things have improved. 2007 is much too far away to even think about.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
The quality of Italian and French cars has improved enormously over the last 20 years. I had a French car (Renault) for six years, and it was almost as good as new when I sold it, the only weak spot were the wheel bearings (replaced once or twice). IMHO, they're much more reliable than German cars.

Alfa always made great looking cars, and with the quality catching up, I'm looking forward to seeing them on US roads. I basically like Renault, but I checked their web site recently, and I have to agree with Mark, their current offerings look questionable. I heard a few years ago that they were considering selling some models under the Nissan label in the US, I don't know if that's still an option.

Opel? No thanks! :rolleyes:

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I rented an Alfa Romeo 147 five-door in Italy a couple years ago. It's a great machine, felt a lot like a VW. The interior was very well done, and the drivetrain was fun (for a front wheel drive car). I loved that car, and would have bought one immediately if only it were available here.

I've read that Alfa's return to the US will be led by an SUV. No joke. Great way for them to ruin what sporty image they had built with the Spider and GTV...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts