The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think that an engine chip upgrade works for the Lotus Evora to increase horsepower? I understand that a 70hp-90hp increase could be achieved. What about the cat delete for exhaust sound or other exhaust products? Are these options achievable and will the warranty remain in force?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Decat pipe seems to be the only generally warranty safe mod. Anything else and you're really risking it. If you do mod it, don't post about it here.

·
Administrator
13,485 Posts
Third cat delete is only that Lotus has been fine with. I was reading the warranty on the Emira and any non Lotus mod will result in the entire vehicle warranty being voided not just the powertrain.

• Wow
Reactions: TJBNJ

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
813 Posts
Third cat delete is only that Lotus has been fine with. I was reading the warranty on the Emira and any non Lotus mod will result in the entire vehicle warranty being voided not just the powertrain.
I find it hard to believe that Lotus is ok with owners removing emissions equipment that the EPA certified. Yes, it's not actually needed to pass emissions in 49 of 50 states, but that is how the car was certified by the EPA. I would just keep quiet and not post about your mods online. You don't need Lotus or the DEP coming after you. New Jersey Man To Scrap His Modified Diesel Truck After State Determines It's Illegal Through Facebook Marketplace Listing | Carscoops

·
Administrator
13,485 Posts
I find it hard to believe that Lotus is ok with owners removing emissions equipment that the EPA certified. Yes, it's not actually needed to pass emissions in 49 of 50 states, but that is how the car was certified by the EPA. I would just keep quiet and not post about your mods online. You don't need Lotus or the DEP coming after you. New Jersey Man To Scrap His Modified Diesel Truck After State Determines It's Illegal Through Facebook Marketplace Listing | Carscoops
Lotus Dealers have been doing the third cat delete without issues. Yes talking about mods can have eye on it.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
813 Posts
Lotus Dealers have been doing the third cat delete without issues. Yes talking about mods can have eye on it.
Yeah, some dealers are cool with it, but I don't think Lotus themselves are cool with it. My VW dealer sold aftermarket tunes for years and would not void your warranty until VWoA got wind and shut it down.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Please tell us more about the 70-90hp reflash available for our cars!
It's probably a resistor on ebay 🤣. As for the 3rd cat, I only mentioned because last time this came up I said not to, then everyone said that their dealer did it with no issue. Now I say go for it and people say not to! I guess as with most things, do it at your own risk.

·
Administrator
13,485 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Maybe I was being too literal, but you don't get those gains from the tune alone. It's a CAI and headers as well.

Phase EV4-475 consisting of:

KT500 Carbon-Airbox
Stainless steel manifold with optimized pipe lengths
Y-Pipe with a 200cpsi Sports-Catalyst HJS (Main Catalyst)
Oxygen sensor extension-cable
Optimization ECU-Software EV4-475 (ignition, injection characteristics and camshaft phase adjustment)
EV4-475 Decalset

·
Administrator
13,485 Posts
Maybe I was being too literal, but you don't get those gains from the tune alone. It's a CAI and headers as well.

Phase EV4-475 consisting of:

KT500 Carbon-Airbox
Stainless steel manifold with optimized pipe lengths
Y-Pipe with a 200cpsi Sports-Catalyst HJS (Main Catalyst)
Oxygen sensor extension-cable
Optimization ECU-Software EV4-475 (ignition, injection characteristics and camshaft phase adjustment)
EV4-475 Decalset
Na my fault for not seeing a bit of facetiousness after coming in while getting my butt kicked by my trucks fuel tank lol

·
Registered
343 Posts
As stated and mods and Lotus might void warranty stuff. Some state lotus will still cover warranty work if mods are done after the main car, so exhaust can be changed & 3rd cat, but it’s still it a guarantee what Lotus will do.

the shop,I use stated 3rd cat is OK to change but suggested not doing anything else for warranty reasons.

tune only might give 10-30HP, I haven’t seen anyone do this to a 400/GT.

It’s a bummer Lotus voids warranty’s for the entire car when power mods are done, however they aren’t the only manufacturer that does this so we all can’t be to upset.

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
1,041 Posts
I mentioned to a friend the mystery about how the factory cat delete pipe - used worldwide except in the USA and China - is physically incompatible with the USA and China cars. Lotus had to spend extra money and take extra steps to do that... Why? His theory is that it bought some credibility with the EPA (or maybe CARB) by making it much more difficult to simply swap in the other factory part.

There is precedent. When WiFi access points first came out, the FCC required them to have non-standard connectors on the antennas to make it more difficult for owners to use better antennas. Thus was born things like the "Reverse Polarity SMA" connector. Of course, almost overnight the "new" connectors became widely available everywhere, including on better antennas.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Do you think that an engine chip upgrade works for the Lotus Evora to increase horsepower? I understand that a 70hp-90hp increase could be achieved. What about the cat delete for exhaust sound or other exhaust products? Are these options achievable and will the warranty remain in force?
Chips haven't existed since the 90's sir
I now know better, if you intend to track the car extensively just buy a whole package cuz the pre cats will fail and you will be down for the count till parts arrive courtesy of the supply chain. Its not massive but each piece of the puzzle is worth a few HP...it all adds up when done together. that is where the tuning is most beneficial.

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Ask you local Lotus franchise which mods can they sell you and stand behind should there be an issue. At my local dealership they sold Larini products. I don't think they're selling the decats for the 400/GT.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts