The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,
I see many sellers listing this as an additional mod / option on their vehicle. Can someone please explain what this is?
Cheers!!
--njexpress

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
HI,
I see many sellers listing this as an additional mod / option on their vehicle. Can someone please explain what this is?
Cheers!!
--njexpress
It's just a name - like Ford or Nissan.

oh, and on a personal note, that exhaust is LOUD and drones like a mother on the highway...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You, the1sen...
So, It is just a noisemaker thingie then? No functional mod??
Lastly, this is something that can be modded at a lotus dealership?If so,this would not affect the vehicle's warranty in anyway?Thanks again for the rapid response!
Cheers!!
--njexpress

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Thank You, the1sen...
So, It is just a noisemaker thingie then? No functional mod??
Lastly, this is something that can be modded at a lotus dealership?If so,this would not affect the vehicle's warranty in anyway?Thanks again for the rapid response!
Cheers!!
--njexpress
yeah - this is an aftermarket exhaust that does not offer an increase in power. Though it does shave about 20 pounds off the car, so you do get some function from the weight loss.

I am uncertain, but would not expect this to impact the warranty on the car. Mine had one and they are honoring the warranty.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I have a stage 2. I believe the Stage II is 10-15 lbs lighter, so you gain like 1 HP from that small weight reduction. The exhaust screams at high RPM's, and I don't mind the droning. I love the exhuast. Make sure you go with the Janspeed, it's the better stage 2 without the rattling. Lastly... the exhaust won't void your warranty.

Prices range from $500-$700 for a new Janspeed Stage II... and it takes anywhere from 1 - 2 hours to install.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have one on my Exige S and it kicks a$$. The only drawback is that you will want to rev you car to 8000 rpm everytime you shift in order to hear the exhaust scream. Cops are not fond of you doing that. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
It is a Lotus part so its perfectly warranty compliant. In fact, they will warranty the muffler itself. It is a very good exhaust. I had one for the majority of my cars life. The sound is intoxicating. It generally costs around 600. Installation requires cutting the diffuser opening to a larger size. They give you a template to work with.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
To clarify, Lotus does not make the part. At first, they had some company (name escapes me) make it and the welds were commonly breaking. Lotus switched to having Janspeed make the exhaust and the welds are much stronger.

So early stage 2's are not reliable, while janspeed ones are. But they are both lotus "stage 2" exhausts

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
CLF made the initial round of Stage II mufflers. Bad bracket welds. They can be rewelded and then seem to hold up fine. Janspeed makes the current iteration.

Stage III has been coming for a looooooooong time. It was, IIRC, to be more than just the muffler. Don't hold your breath for it.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
There are 3 Lotus approved mufflers currently:

1. Stock: comes on most cars. Fine for many people. Weighs in about the same as an anchor.

2. Stage I: Slightly lighter than stock. Not very many around. Most with it like it. Very subtle difference from stock AFAIK in sound.

3. Stage II: Lighter than stock. Louder than stock. Some like it. Some don't.

Better? whichever you like the sound/volume/look/etc... there isn't any performance gain with any muffler on the Elise/Exige unless you make a lot of other changes (ECU, etc) other than dropping weight. You can diet and accomplish the same thing.

Louder? Stage II.

Stage III doesn't currently exist, at least here in the colonies.

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
Check this http://www.grouplotus.com/staticfiles/docs/lotus_sport/parts_ebrochure.pdf

It has 3 different silencers in this ebrochure.
Stage III is just what they call the Stage II for supercharged cars. It's a single oval tip and heavier. All three will fit on any of the cars (the diffuser will requiring cutting in some instances).

Personally I went from the stock one to a Stage II on my '06 Exige and for a while I thought it was a bit too loud, but I love the tone and have gotten used to the sound. I'm pretty sure someone removed the sound deadening material from behind the rear bulkhead trim though so this isn't helping the noise level.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I love my Stage II exhaust. I have heard most all of them in person and none sound as good as the Stage II... especially on the second cam :shift: . Just be warned that it is loud in the cabin especially at certain RPM's so if you are noise sensitive, this isn't the exhaust for you.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I like my stage II.

Dont need a dealer to install it, takes less than two hours to do it yourself.

:shift:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I like the stage II..... its loud.... I was playing in a tunnel in Monterey last weekend and thought I was going to be deaf with the top off. Sounds great though, just drones a bunch on the freeway (6th gear going 70 is loud).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts