The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - shopping for an Elise; came across this one:

2005 LOTUS ELISE ROADSTER YELLOW/BLACK, LOW MILES.

Two questions:

1. What exhaust is that?
2. What bits do I need to get it back to stock? The car (whichever one I wind up with) will be a SCCA Stock category autocrosser, so it has to have all the stock trim bits and whatnot; I'll likely put a lighter catback on it, but I can't have the Stuff that's normally in the way of that (goofy looking) exhaust.

Thanks!

Iain

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
I'll trade ya a stock exhaust for the goofy looking one.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that's the car I wind up with, deal! Will you throw in the plastic junk that you've got to take off in order to put the rocket-boosters on?

Dunno, maybe it is a cool exhaust, just not my style.

Iain

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just thought you might want to know the cars front clam has been repaired and the passenger air bag cover is off so the car might of been in a front end accident. :shrug:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Looks like the Larini SE exhaust. You will need the rear panel.

·
Registered
949 Posts
What the hell happened to that trunk prop rod?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love this forum! I don't even own an Elise yet, so I don't know what to look for.

Thanks for the additional eyes - I certainly can't "see" the clam damage, I certainly see the p-side airbag now....

Plus, it is kinda dirty inside. Looks like they rushed to list it. I like the car, on paper - right year, looks to be sport pack, but....ehh.

Iain

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
You can't return it to stock. Why?

- the front clam has been modified. The seam has been shaved (filled) and repainted. Not necessarily a big deal. I did mine (and shaved the license plinth). Mine was done for cosmetic reasons. You need to find out if it was in an accident or just cosmetic stuff.

- The airbag being off is an issue. There are clips that break away when the airbag deploys. Could be just that they pulled it for a stereo install, but it's loose and it should be asked about.

- the prop rod just looks like a kloog mod to allow it the open wider ala the Lidbone.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ahhh, I see it now - there's normally a seam above the "bumper" and below the "hood," so to speak.

Learning more. Yeah, that's a gigantic problem.

Thanks!

Iain

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
That exhaust used to be sold by Sector 111. I think, and I may be wrong, it was an actual split exhaust system designed to give you less back pressure. It looks a lot better with the Euro style rear panel. Sounds great too. What wheels are they?

·
Registered
240 Posts
that car its been listed for awhile! before i bought my car i was about to buy that one but something about it didnt convince me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have looked at this car in person. I wish I had the time to tell the story, but for now let me just say don't walk, run away from this one. Not worth $20K, let alone $25k.

·
Registered
280 Posts
That exhaust couldn't have been inexpensive, and when installed correctly, they look really mean. So why would you not finish the job off right? And what's with the cheesy prop rod modification?

A carfax may prove worthwhile to investigate that front clam work. The airbag cover doesn't worry me so much because there are new speakers and head unit so it could have been broken when installing those. But it is certainly evidence of an accident combined with that seamed clam.

Also, you can get crank up windows?! I want crank up windows! That would be so fun! All the Elise's I've seen have power, which is nice because they go up in <3 seconds, but come on, window cranks would be so fun in a car so full of character. How has this slipped past my radar all these years? I am blown away.

Good luck with the investigation.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have looked at this car in person. I wish I had the time to tell the story, but for now let me just say don't walk, run away from this one. Not worth $20K, let alone $25k.
Story not needed:). That just confirms my suspicions. Thanks!

Iain

·
Registered
831 Posts
Window cranks were available in non-touring package cars. Anecdotally, I think there are few of those around, as the vast majority of cars had the carpet/sound package. I liked them too, so I got a set off a guy who had them and wanted power. Install not all that difficult once you figure out a couple of bits.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A carfax may prove worthwhile
FWIW, and not being argumentative, just anecdotal info - Carfax is, IMHO, worthless.

I used to be involved with an auto repair shop. We did a lot of PPIs for German cars, and we had an "unlimited" Carfax account that we provided as a "Service" for our customers. For giggles, we ran reports on our cars. Some were fairly accurate. One stands out, though - an 88ish BMW 325ix, my business partner was the 3rd owner, and he knew both the first and second owners. Carfax claimed that it was involved in a rollover accident in Nevada, which totaled the car.

We knew where the car was at the time of the alleged accident, and it was not in Nevada. It was in CT, IIRC - east coast (and had the rust to prove it!). There was something else on that report that was just plain wrong, too - we thought it was kinda funny, but we were not trying to sell that car (and he wound up crashing it anyway, so it never became a problem).

Then, a few years ago - 2008 or 9, I bought my mother's Subaru. She was elderly, could no longer drive, so I bought her car - an 04? 05? Legacy, AWD, automatic, silver, horrid, boring. I sold that car as soon as I could. She was the second owner, and I had a STACK of records with it, from all the damage she'd done to it (as well as maintenance). She was in 3 accidents - one, she sideswiped the garage. Cosmetic. Insurance claim, fixed. Another, she drove off a country road, hit a rock, took out a wheel, fender, maybe control arm. Insurance, fixed, no problem.

The last straw was a big one - 50-60mph on a busy highway, lost control, hit the Jersey barrier. The accident did NOT total the car, somehow - motor mounts, transmission mount, exhaust, windshield cracked, hood, fenders, radiator support, water pump, radiator, AC condensor, headlights, bumper, etc etc etc - she CREAMED that thing.

It was fixed nicely, and had to come within pennies of being totaled, but they fixed it (thank goodness the state of MA took her license away, sorry, Mom....).

Carfax knew NOTHING of these three accidents. Not just missing one, but THREE - and I had all the paperwork, insurance claims, receipts, etc - ALL OF IT. The most recent accident was almost a year prior - not like I picked it up from the bodyshop before the paint dried.

Anticipating people would want to be "shown the Carfax," I got one. NONE of the accidents showed.

All faith was lost in CF. I'm shopping for a Lotus now, and I'll still get a CF, but it is purely anecdotal in my book.

The frustrating thing about selling that car was the number of people who thought I was trying to cheat them. "Here's the carfax, but more importantly, HERE are the records documenting the accidents." Ummmm, people, I could EASILY omit these details and show you *just* the "clean" Carfax, but I'm not, and this is why I'm listing it $3k below blue book.

Shrug. Carfax is helpful, but don't put too much faith in it, IMHO.

Iain

1 - 16 of 16 Posts