The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I have last been on the forums. How has everything been?

I am in the market for a new car and was thinking of getting the second lotus that I have been looking for (on and off for the past 2 years). After a day of looking I am astounded to see Elise's and Exige's going for $5,000 to $10,000 above what they were 1-2 years ago. Why the sudden jump in price? What is even more odd is that this price jump has only effected the Elise and Exige. The older Lotus Esprit and the new Lotus Evora (Which are both better cars in mho) are still the same if not lower in value than a few years ago, which is what you would expect as very few cars out there are ever appreciating assets.

two years ago I could have gotten a 2007 Elise with less than 20,000 miles for under $28,000. Now a car like that is going for $35,000 - $43,000. Seems really high when the MSRP was only $46,000 to beguine with. They are great cars but some of the ones I have seen for sale make me think they are worth more than gold now (at least that is how the seller is treating it).

Has Lotus just become one of the least depreciating cars now or am I the only one who has noticed this?

Might not be able to find one considering the price increases. I honestly wouldn't spend $40,000 on a car that is 8 years old when it sold for $5,000 more brand new. With cars like the Lotus Evora and even some of the base C7 Corvetts going for the same price range why would anyone buy an Elise or Exige now?

Just my 2 cents. Anyone care to shed some light on the subject?

Great to see the community is still alive and growing.

Have a good night everyone.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
The Elise/Exige stopped coming to the U.S. in 2011 so the supply exceeds the demand. Maybe when the Alpha 4C is in abundance, people may go for the newer car with warranty.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I have last been on the forums. How has everything been?

I am in the market for a new car and was thinking of getting the second lotus that I have been looking for (on and off for the past 2 years). After a day of looking I am astounded to see Elise's and Exige's going for $5,000 to $10,000 above what they were 1-2 years ago. Why the sudden jump in price? What is even more odd is that this price jump has only effected the Elise and Exige. The older Lotus Esprit and the new Lotus Evora (Which are both better cars in mho) are still the same if not lower in value than a few years ago, which is what you would expect as very few cars out there are ever appreciating assets.

two years ago I could have gotten a 2007 Elise with less than 20,000 miles for under $28,000. Now a car like that is going for $35,000 - $43,000. Seems really high when the MSRP was only $46,000 to beguine with. They are great cars but some of the ones I have seen for sale make me think they are worth more than gold now (at least that is how the seller is treating it).

Has Lotus just become one of the least depreciating cars now or am I the only one who has noticed this?

Might not be able to find one considering the price increases. I honestly wouldn't spend $40,000 on a car that is 8 years old when it sold for $5,000 more brand new. With cars like the Lotus Evora and even some of the base C7 Corvetts going for the same price range why would anyone buy an Elise or Exige now?

Just my 2 cents. Anyone care to shed some light on the subject?

Great to see the community is still alive and growing.

Have a good night everyone.
You can't buy a new Elise or Exige (unless you want the track-only Exige). Hence the values have increased as demand is greater than supply.

You think the Esprit and Evora are better models. I'll briefly address both.

The Esprit is a fine car, but it's old. There is a cost you'll need to factor into the cost of an Esprit, maintenance. A recent thread had one member saying he was spending $2K a year for the 4 cylinder. The V8 is much more.

The Evora is a fine car as well, but it is a departure from the "add lightness" mantra. It's over 3000 pounds and even the supercharged version is a bit weak, especially considering the cost of admission. If you really like it they can be had for substantially under MSRP.

Your estimate of the value of an Elise is high IMHO. You didn't state if you're looking at a base Elise or SC version.

You bring the C7 into the mix. I own a C6 (much lighter than the C7) and the first time I drove my C6 after I drove my Exige S I thought this is never going to be the same. It felt like a big heavy car. It isn't. But that's how different the two cars are. Don't drive one if you don't want to own one. Seriously night and day. BTW, my Exige S has a better power-to-weight ratio than a C6 Z06 (it's not stock).

The Lotus Elise and Exige are not depreciating. Period. They are increasing in value. I'm seeing Elise prices at nearly what I paid for my 2007 Exige S a few years ago. Exige prices are goofy high lately.

If you have to ask why anyone would buy an Elise or Exige you obviously haven't done your research and probably aren't a good candidate for one. Plenty of people lining up for one and the waiting list isn't short.

When the Elise and Exige cars show up to an exotic car meet for a ride in the canyons, the super cars let us go first. They know they can't keep up in the corners.

San

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
The Elise/Exige stopped coming to the U.S. in 2011 so the supply exceeds the demand. Maybe when the Alpha 4C is in abundance, people may go for the newer car with warranty.
You meant to say the demand exceeds the supply. You were probably just testing us, right?

San

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
You meant to say the demand exceeds the supply. You were probably just testing us, right?

San
I don't know. It's late and I have insomnia again.

·
Registered
676 Posts
U snooze, u lose. I feel the same way about google stock.

Every post to the salvage thread increases the eliges value. They are awesome cars, with none other in its class except the 4c. Heck even the 4c is 300lbs heavier. The fact is you cant sell cars like the eliges in the US anymore and be street legal. Thats why their values are creeping up.

·
2006 Exige
971 Posts
Hey everyone,
What is even more odd is that this price jump has only effected the Elise and Exige.
I think the enthusiast auto market as a whole is really strong. It is more than just the Elise/Exige. There are a lot of modern cars that have experienced the same thing over the past few years. F1, GT3RS, F40, Carrera GT, NSX, etc. Even the E46 M3 and S2000 are holding their values well.

Go ahead and buy your Lotus now and don't worry about it. You will be having too much fun driving it around to worry about it anyway!

·
purveyor of lightness
4,255 Posts
You can't buy a new Elise or Exige (unless you want the track-only Exige). Hence the values have increased as demand is greater than supply.

The Lotus Elise and Exige are not depreciating. Period. They are increasing in value. I'm seeing Elise prices at nearly what I paid for my 2007 Exige S a few years ago. Exige prices are goofy high lately.

If you have to ask why anyone would buy an Elise or Exige you obviously haven't done your research and probably aren't a good candidate for one. Plenty of people lining up for one and the waiting list isn't short.

When the Elise and Exige cars show up to an exotic car meet for a ride in the canyons, the super cars let us go first. They know they can't keep up in the corners.

San
This forum NEEDS a 'LIKE' button. Perfectly said San. :clap:

·
Registered
621 Posts
I played around with the idea of selling my Lotus since I have noticed the values increasing quite a bit as well. But wanted to replace it with something just as fun, keep in mine I have an 05 Elise, with a Rev250 supercharger, and a ton of mods.

I went and test drove an 08 Cayman S, that was an incredible disapointment. Then drove a C6 Vette, that was fun, but such a big car. Drove a 2002 BMW M5 just to see if I liked the "perfect" super sedan. Great commuter car, but I'd be missing my Elise terribly as you could really feel the weight despite the big power. Every time I got back into the Lotus and just within 100 feet you can tell it is an incredibly different car. There is literally nothing else in the US that you can daily drive, yet still feel the same.

Now I can completely understand why the values are going up, and I'm glad I got mine when I did! Although it's going to take one hell of a car to get me to let it go. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Definitely the same (actually worse) in Canada. We had a small percentage of the US inventory to start with, and when the cut off came in 2011, prices just kept going up. Cars that were going for $40K about 6 years ago are now going for $45K.. the same car!! I wish I had bought then :(

Supply seems to be extremely tight. Most of the cars must now belong to people who actually want/appreciate them.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I bought my '06 Elise with 14k miles for $29k in 2011 and just paid $40k for an '07 (w/factory SC) with 14k miles.

To me, even at the "high" prices there is nothing on the market better. I have driven Ferraris, Astons, Lambos, etc. Yes most are faster than my Elise, but all of them felt softer and not as exciting. Alcantra leather, touch screen infotainment...all that stuff is a waste in a true sports car. I save that for my Range Rover.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,983 Posts
They definitely have gone up in value. But I think it's just a little crazy to see 2005's listed for $35-$37k and higher.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Hey everyone,

...high when the MSRP was only $46,000 to beguine with. They are great cars but some of the ones I have seen for sale make me think they are worth more than gold now (at least that is how the seller is treating it).

Might not be able to find one considering the price increases. I honestly wouldn't spend $40,000 on a car that is 8 years old when it sold for $5,000 more brand new...
As to this, let me introduce you to the concept of inflation. See, I bought a 1969 Chevelle for way over it's selling price of $4,200 a few years ago. $45k in 2005 is roughly $55k today, so that plays a part. Rarity of one in good shape is a big factor I'm sure (they made lots of Camaros and WAAAAY more Chevelles, yet they fetch a premium because they survived).

·
Registered
41 Posts
They definitely have gone up in value. But I think it's just a little crazy to see 2005's listed for $35-$37k and higher.
Bought my 2005 a month ago for 32000 and would have paid more!

Hard to find a clean titled non-track elige these days.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
I think you are not looking hard enough. I would sell my 2005, with stock wheels, RAC Monlites, and team dynamics 1.4 forged wheels, Hoosier R6 and Hoosier A6 tires for 32k. I think the key is exactly what someone said earlier; find a motivated seller. Most are not too motivated, now that the economy has improved. I am not too motivated, so the car is not listed for sale. The price was just a reference.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I think the huge jump is a combination of two factors (plus inflation):

1) They were underpriced when ALL sports, collectable, and enthusiast's cars were getting hit hard during 2008-2010.

2) They're no longer imported and were an iconic car in the lightweight, no-frills sports car segment.

Just number 1 is a big factor. My friend bought an S2000 in 2011 for less than what I see them for now, and there are ten times as many of those as there are Elises. When you factor in that the Elise is special (factor 2), you get a big jump instead of just a mild climb.

As for comparisons to the C7, Esprit, and Evora, you can't really compare since they're in different markets. The Esprit (especially earlier generation cars) is rare and old enough to be considered a vintage collectable at this point, and it never got picked up as an art-collector status symbol the way certain Ferraris and American muscle did. The C7 is a great car but it's a mass-market Corvette, and the Evora is also a wonderful car but the sticker price doesn't stack up to its competition and so discounts are rampant.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts