The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i tried the AC for the first time the other day and...[drum roll]...nothing. tonight i actually started to troubleshoot the problem and noticed that when i turned on the AC, the little button lit up, but nothing changed, rpms did not go up, no compressor noise or anything. so i looked at the fuse box under the passenger access panel and checked fuse 19 which is the "A.C. comp. relay, rad fan 2 fast" and it was fine. then, i checked the footwell fuse block and there's only 1 fuse in it and the manual says there are supposed to be 4! :huh:
so, now i'm wondering what's up - the only fuse i have in the footwell block is the 15A one in C1, which seems to be for the "Interior fan" (although the manual says this should be a 20A fuse). i have nothing in C2, C3 or C4. is this normal? the manual says that C4 is the "A.C. Compressor", so i'm wondering if i throw a 7.5A fuse in it, if it might start working...
the other weird thing is that, according to the manual, C2 is for the "Wiper motor" - i don't have a fuse here, but my windshield wiper works fine...wtf...

any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
There are two fuse boxes in the interior cabin. One fuse box has just one fuse in it and it's for the driving lights. There is a second one next to it, that has the fuses depicted in the manual. I think you were looking at the driving lights fuse. I bet when you find the other fuse box you will see a bad fuse for the ac compressor.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
scottyb said:
There are two fuse boxes in the interior cabin. One fuse box has just one fuse in it and it's for the driving lights. There is a second one next to it, that has the fuses depicted in the manual. I think you were looking at the driving lights fuse. I bet when you find the other fuse box you will see a bad fuse for the ac compressor.
yep, you are correct. it was hidden way behind the first one i saw. so, i found it, it has 4 fuses and they are all good. btw, is the driving light fuse block mentioned in the owner's manual under the fuses section?

anyways, now i'm really confused about the AC - both fuses associated with it are good and absolutely nothing happens when i turn it on. is there a relay or something that i can check easily - can you check the R134 pressure w/out taking the front clam off?

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
If the fan doesn't work, then you have a problem with the blower. If the fan works in all speeds and the AC light is on, then you may need to check the relays. I think there in the back, don't remember for sure. Either way, it looks like your going to have to take her back for service.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, the fan works fine, it's just that when i click the AC button, nothing seems to change - the air doesn't get cold, no additional compressor/belt noises and rpm doesn't change which leads me to believe that absolutely nothing is happening when i turn on the AC...
unfortunately, the dealer is 4 hours away, so i'll probly mess w/ it a little more before i admit defeat. :(

anyone else have a problem like this and get it solved? what did you (or the dealer) have to do?

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Make sure you actually have a compressor and that it's hooked up to the belt. After all, it is a hand built car and stranger things have been found.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
My AC is now doing the same thing. It was always anemic, but now... nothing. Fan blows. Light comes on. No change in temps.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you too, huh, randy? i'm wishing i had checked it before i took it in for the 1K service in dec - but it was cold enough that i don't think i would have been able to tell if it was blowing cold air because it had cooled it or because it came from outside...

so, i've done a ton of searches on the forum and it looks like there have been several people with problems like this one. no one seems to have mentioned whether their rpm changes or anything like the compressor is actually engaging, but there are quite a few threads that mention not getting any change when ac is turned on.

a few of these people said that the fix was related to a loose wire or a wire not ever being plugged in. quite a few more are saying it was due to not enough or not any :huh: R134 in the system.

like i said, my dealership is 4 hours away, so i'd love to solve this on my own - does anyone know where the port is that you can hook up a gauge to check the pressure in the ac system? is this something that can be done w/out taking off a clam?

i bet i'm gonna have to head to atlanta next weekend...:wallbang:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I have not bothered to look more into my situation, though with summer coming I will feel more motivated, but it has been cool recently in San Diego. But I think I probably unplugged something when I had the front clam off. Not sure what yet, I will have to do some research.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have exactly the same problem: ac blue light ok, fuse 19 ok, no compressor sound when switching the ac, and hot air as hell. The only thing is that fuse 4 on passenger footwell has no power coming in (with the engine running, of course).

Could you report how did you fix your ac problem?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Take you elise to the shop have them check the freon pressure. When it leaks, then drops too low the compressor will not come on. It is a safety feature, so not to burn up the compressor. FYI, I just got new AC hoses replaces by the dealer as there were leaking. And now my AC is really cold. It was never this cold when I bought the elise new.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Take you elise to the shop have them check the freon pressure. When it leaks, then drops too low the compressor will not come on. It is a safety feature, so not to burn up the compressor. FYI, I just got new AC hoses replaces by the dealer as there were leaking. And now my AC is really cold. It was never this cold when I bought the elise new.
+1
This is the common symptom of a refrigerant leak that has caused enough loss that the safety switch has shut down the compressor. Always check your refrigerant charge first when you have an A/C failure. It is easy to check, but unfortunately a leak can also be difficult to find and repair. Any decent A/C shop can test the refrigerant charge for you so taking the car to the dealer isn't necessary.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have exactly the same problem: ac blue light ok, fuse 19 ok, no compressor sound when switching the ac, and hot air as hell. The only thing is that fuse 4 on passenger footwell has no power coming in (with the engine running, of course).

Could you report how did you fix your ac problem?
funny you ask that - the elise is actually at lotus of atlanta right now getting the AC fixed. a few months ago i hooked up a pressure gauge to the AC and it had nothing in it! :eek: so, the previous two posts were correct in their assessment - the low pressure switch was keeping the AC from coming on. don't know if it has a leak or didn't get filled at the factory or what. i should find out in a couple of days.

good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts