The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's read their fine print? I need to find a new carrier because Amica made me sign a statement saying I wouldn't do it after I opened up my big fat mouth :wallbang:. Unfortunately, I don't do enough days in a year to make a track insurance policy worthwhile.

Thanks!
Tom

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
State Farm is a possibility...last I checked, the only things like that which are excluded are *TIMED* track events. Been a few years since I read the policy though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
^ I agree. You've signed a specific statement but normally these events (unless timed) are regarded as 'driving instruction' on private property, which is of course exactly what they are.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that used to be the case, but it sounds like some carriers have added language that would exclude HPDE. I think Allstate and Progressive are examples of this.

How about Geico, State Farm, AAA, etc...anyone read their exclusions?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
State Farm is a possibility...last I checked, the only things like that which are excluded are *TIMED* track events. Been a few years since I read the policy though.
Not any more. There's a thread where a few of us posted the new exclusionary language they added. It's very specific.

ETA: This is what some of us got...

Exclusions:
Any covered vehicle while it is:
a) Being prepared for, used in practice for, or operated in any racing contest, speed contest, hill-climbing contest, jumping contest, or any similar contest; or
b) on a track designed primarily for racing or high speed driving.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Pretty sure GEICO does - they wouldn't even give me a specimen copy of their policy when I asked for it twice posing as a prospective customer. I believe that Allstate and State Farm do. I know Progressive does. If people want to post their policies, I can weigh in. More and more are excluding HPDE and autocross with the catch-all 'any driving activity conducted on a permanent or temporary racetrack or racecourse'.

To my knowledge, Encompass does not have such and exclusion...yet.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I forgot to add that it is entirely possible that the policy forms may vary by state. But, I'd think that states would generally not take exception to such an exclusion.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I just read over my Allstate policy and there are no exclusions at all. I've been with them for years - don't know if it's different for new customers.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I just read over my Allstate policy and there are no exclusions at all. I've been with them for years - don't know if it's different for new customers.
Allstate sent me additional exclusions with my renewal about three years ago. That's when I switched to State Farm.

This was added to my Allstate policy:

Exclusions (one of many paragraphs....)

Loss or damage arising out of the participation in any prearranged, organized, or spontaneous:
a. racing contest;
b. speed contest, or
c. use of auto at a track or course designed or used for racing or high performance driving, or in practice or preparation for any contest or use of this type.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Allstate sent me additional exclusions with my renewal about three years ago. That's when I switched to State Farm.

This was added to my Allstate policy:

Exclusions (one of many paragraphs....)
I haven't received any such thing. I don't know if I'm lucky or they just missed me and I'll be screwed if I wreck it.
I know - not if, but when!

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
I'm going to check my policy for any 'fine print' but I just got off the phone with my Farmers Insurance agent and they said that any 'driving school' type usage, even if it is on a track is covered.

- z

·
Registered
101 Posts
My Liberty Mutual agent said I'm covered for HPDE, but now that I have my policy, this thread has reminded me to now go read it cover to cover...

·
Registered
459 Posts
State Farm made changes last October (2007). They excluded anything that even smells like driving on a track.

General advice. Call up your agent and ask for the latest copy of the policy. They change constantly, and who knows you werent' sent the updates.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys...great stuff.

So far we have Liberty Mutual, Farmers, Encompass, and Grundy as potential non-excluders.

Incidentally, I was speaking with someone about track insurance a while back (Chris maybe?), and was trying to convince him that what people really need is a policy that allows you to pay by the event, so casual DE people like me don't pay as much as someone who's out there every weekend. He said the reason they don't do that is that people would only buy it for wet days and that would drive the risk and therefore the premiums up. I countered by saying that you could require 2 weeks or more advanced noticed so that the weather will be a complete crap shoot...seems to make sense to me.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Grundy does NOT cover such usage. Nor does Hagerty for that matter.

I was relatively certain that Grundy didn't, but I don't have a copy of the policy form, so I called and was told that they most certainly do not cover track usage and, based upon my conversation with them, even things like road rallies are off-limits. I am trying to get the exclusionary verbiage emailed to me.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think I saw Bart writing this in the intro to a Simpson's episode:

Read your contract, do not call your agent or the insurance company.

Several people on this board have reported being immediately dropped from their insurers merely for asking about coverage on a track.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Definitely don't ask unless you do it anonymously. That's how I got in to this mess in the first place.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts