The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Air Injection is a emissions system from Toyota thats on 2004 and newer vehicles. It does not add power or effect performance. It does make for cleaner cold start emissions. It uses an electric air pump to add oxygen to the exhaust stream during the rich conditions that exist on the cold start fuel map in order to light the cat off faster. I wanted to put this in its own thread since its a bit graphic heavy. This info is out of the 2004 Celica New Car Features guide which is available at http://techninfo.toyota.com

Oh - to clarify this system is NOT used on the Elise, you simply got the head and header that are used with it since thats all Toyota builds on the assembly line anymore. None of the pump or other controls or electronics are in use.

Anyways heres all the info you could want on the air injection system. Read it all and leme know if you still have questions:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What is Air injection Part 2

Front of Air Injection Header:

Back of Air injection Header:

Air Injection Header on Engine (Matrix 2ZZ engine pictured)

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Thank you for the info and tech details. Fortunately this system is not used or connected on the 2zz in the Elise/Exige.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OppositeLock said:
Thank you for the info and tech details. Fortunately this system is not used or connected on the 2zz in the Elise/Exige.
Yup! Too bad you got the head prepped for it otherwise you could all direct swap to 00-03 GTS headers and save quite a bit of weight very easily. Obviously the blockoff headers work but they aren't really available used anywhere - have to buy them new for like $250 after tax

anyways thanks for reminding me - I put a clarification in the original post.

·
Registered
309 Posts
so can this be done on the 05 matrix w/out having a CEL
or there will always be CEL because of the ECU?

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Hell, my 1980 Chevy Z-28 had a similar system.

xtn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts