The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought some tires from tire rack. If I am reading this sidewall correctly they are from 2018. Should I have a problem with this?
IMG_20200729_114222508_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Uness they show some signs of poor storage that is fine. No sidewall cracks, or very hard rubber.

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,214 Posts
2018 is fine as long as the tires were stored in the correct temperature and were never exposed to freezing temperatures.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I would trust Tire Rack, they actually note on the ad if they are beyond the recommended storage date. I've seen it for the A048's.

·
Registered
431 Posts
That's not the code. It's always only 4 digits. The first two signify the week of the year....out of 52 weeks. The last two are the year.

·
Registered
751 Posts
That's not the code. It's always only 4 digits. The first two signify the week of the year....out of 52 weeks. The last two are the year.
I might be wrong, but I do think that's the code...and the date is only the last 4 digits of that code like you said. What the other numbers mean, I have no idea.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
You both may be correct, the last 2 digits should be the year, however I do recall my A048's having a 4 digit code.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If it starts with "DOT", it's the code. The beginning is out of frame of the photo, but it looks like the DOT. The number is typically 12 digits and is often broken up into 3 parts of 4 characters each, making the date code seem like it stands on its own.

2018 is fine as long as the tires were stored in the correct temperature and were never exposed to freezing temperatures.
This is correct. It's not uncommon to get a date code that old from an unusual tire/size that doesn't turn inventory very often.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
DOT did precede. They are the fronts R888. The rubber feels perfectly fine.

Here is a follow up question.
who thinks it a good practice to at least have their comp tires heat cycled prior to installation?

It costs $15 a tire, but I recall my prior research said it aligned everything properly and left the tires ever so slightly more more in round given that when the tires cool off they don't have the vehicle weight on the tires. I'm certain my ignorance shows. I haven't seen a track, but I like academically what I read. I could not reproduce the whole thing as controlled as tirerack can, so seems a good service. Tire shaving I get for race readieness, but I would'nt need that for the street, and it seems to take a lot of service life of the tire.

I think heat cycling tires make them last x amount longer ?

·
Registered
147 Posts
A fact I didn't know, until my daughter (chemical engineer) went to work for Michelin about a year ago...

If there's a "red dot" on a tire, that means it didn't pass QC the first time - was slightly out of round - but they were able to "shave" the tire enough to get it into spec so that, on the second pass, it does pass QC. Nevertheless, it has to be marked with a red dot...

Some people argue red dot tires aren't as good (which is arguable, because the tire DID pass QC, but still...) and thus red dot tires are generally routed to the online tire stores so that customers can't look at them and just pass over them.

Food for thought in your future tire shopping... :)

Kevin

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
A fact I didn't know, until my daughter (chemical engineer) went to work for Michelin about a year ago...

If there's a "red dot" on a tire, that means it didn't pass QC the first time - was slightly out of round - but they were able to "shave" the tire enough to get it into spec so that, on the second pass, it does pass QC. Nevertheless, it has to be marked with a red dot...

Some people argue red dot tires aren't as good (which is arguable, because the tire DID pass QC, but still...) and thus red dot tires are generally routed to the online tire stores so that customers can't look at them and just pass over them.

Food for thought in your future tire shopping... :)

Kevin
Yup, that dot (Yellow or Red) should be placed near the valve stem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've checked Google for an answer and there should only be four numbers on the manufacturing date. First, 2-digits refers to the week number within a year and the last 2-digits refers to the year.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My understanding of heat cycling track tires is that it sort of cures the rubber. Why the mfg doesn't do it, I don't know. I generally run one track session with the new tires to get them hot and then switch them out until the next day. It supposedly extends the life (traction wise). But again, it is just my understanding and I am not a chemical engineer.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The way I read that is made the 43rd week of 2018, should be fine.

I have heard and do believe in heat cycling.. I just have never sprung for it. The gist of it is the get the tire up to a good warm operating temp without over heating it, then let them sit (not on the ground holding up the car) for AT LEAST 24 hours. I usually drive around leisurely for 10 mins plus, then do a couple few 360 ramps near me followed by a short 3/4 canyon type twisty near me all done with aggression and park it, then jack up the car. If needing to run soon, I swap tires, if I have a bit of time, I just leave up for a good day plus, then set it down.

Saddest part of my last heat cycle/tire testing was finding out how much faster the 15" A052s were at my AutoX test day March 6th, BUT, I used my two test laps on them as the heat cycle. Due to lack of 24 hr rest, used the 16" A052s up front, but still won class, 3rd overall PAX all on March 7th... and due to Covid have yet to run the 15" fronts since!! :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have talked to Nankang regarding manufacturing date, (Because I got over 3 year old tires when I bought new ones this spring) and they told me if the tire is more than 3 years from manufacture, they lose all warranties from Nankang. The dealer refused to accept this until I send them the mail I got from Nankang, then they gave me 2000 NOK back (about 200 dollars). This was a Nankang AR-1 tire I was asking them about. The tires feel good though, and they only last 1 season (For me atleast with 5-6 trackdays) so i accepted it.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Funny, I asked Tire Rack about the 7 yr old climate controlled tires (Pirelli PZero Corsas) on the wife's new 2013 Evora. They said in a climate controlled environment, their testing is showing NO breakdown for up to 10 years. They said just drive them! Totally different environment than an UV baked tire in the outdoor world. Its something they have been testing lately. They are realizing new tires do not breakdown till they get outside in the sun. The 6/7 year old rule is for tires that have been put in service. Her car had 1300 miles on it but was NEVER left outiside. Always came back into showroon. Of course the ultimate thing to look for is sidewall cracking as that is where flexure occurs and breakdown commences. Corsas down't last very long anyway esp if she learns to track the car.:cool:

Reactions: Kubera and exigegus

·
Registered
997 Posts
I don't think this is correct. The red dot indicates the high point of the tire (they are all slightly out of round). All tires I buy have both red and yellow dots. None of the tires I have ever bought have been shaved (outside or inside).

Yellow dots indicate the lightest portion of the tire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 5 year mark tends to be the cutoff for me on new tires. If the tires are going to be on the car for a few years, you’ll start bumping into the max recommended age.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts