The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know people aren't going to like these mods, but I am considering buying this car, so be open-minded and don't judge me based on the previous owners mods. I looked over the car this weekend and it looks like all of the cutting was tastefully done. I would need to make some custom mesh covers, but I have seen several people on this site already do that.

Below is the description I received. The interior is stock so I didn't include pics of that. I have a ton of pics from looking at it this weekend.

Responses sooner rather than later would be greatly appreciated.

2005 Lotus Elise
Chrome Orange, extremely low miles @ 7541!!!
Single owner car, purchased new April 2005
Sport pack
Touring pack w/leather, power, Blaupunkt upgrade
Both tops (soft never used)
Car cover & shower cap
Two sets of wheels
Lotus sport pack w/Yoko A048's (toast!)
S111 stellaCORSE (silver) w/Toyo R888's 500+ miles
Lotus Stage 2 exhaust
Braided steel brake lines
Lotus halogen upgrade
K & N air & oil filters (oil changes w/premium synthetic)
Braille race battery w/NCI bracket & S111 cutoff (battery relocated behind passenger seat)
BOE diffuser brace (attaches to frame not body for easier clam removal)

"Simplify, then add lightness"
Entire trunk cut out and rear panel opened between tail lights (similar to 211)
Significant weight reduction and maximum air flow

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
Are you a professional racer? Will the car live on the track? If so, those mods might be worthwhile.

Otherwise he significantly reduced the structural integrity of the already delicate rear clam. Expect lots of cracking down the road, unless you too plan to never drive it. I would take 5K off the price of the car if it were completely unmolested. That would give you enough to properly repair the damage.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
i would say 30k or less. The mods are for a Race car. most people that track there lotus do not cut out the trunk

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
That is pretty heavily modded for the track.

Cutting out parts of the body are pretty extreme weight redux measures.

I assume you would never drive it in the rain

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I would say 30k is about right, but I wouldn't personally buy it.

Mine was stock with less mileage for 30k and I wouldnt want to deal with a car thats race mod'd that far that its unstreetable

·
Less is Better
2,883 Posts
If it were me, I'd figure in the cost of a new clam with painting to CO in the purchase price. I'd offer $23,000 if it didn't have any other issues.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I wouldn't touch that car for any price (okay, maybe 15k)

·
Registered
945 Posts
As always the answer is "whatever someone will pay for it!"

Here's my thought process if I were to buy it, though:

This car would be at the very, very tip-top of market for an '05: desirable color, both tops, both options packs, OEM accessories, good aftermarket wheels, tires, one owner, and very low miles. That'd put it at least in the 35-36k range (or, if you go by the blue one that's listed on Global Autosports, $42k, although I think that's a bit over the top).

However, the mods to the rear clam are not only substantial but the other mods suggest the car was tracked with some frequency. Personally I'd rather have a sorted track car than a beat street car, but the buying market lately seems to differ and "never tracked" seems to have somehow become a selling point for these awesome track cars.

I'd take 5k off for the clam right away. Not only is an OEM one properly painted going to cost a good portion of that if you can ever get one, but they're basically unobtainium right now even if you did want to replace it.

With a probable track history too, if I were to buy this car I'd offer high 20s. With a new engine cover and the hinges restored as well as some mesh in place of the missing trunk, it could be a good deal on an otherwise sorted car, but not at anywhere near what it should go for without the cutouts.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking 28k. The only one that bothered me was the rear trunk area and if I can make that structurally sound, than I am fine with it.

I will likely track it and drive it. Obviously I wont want the body cracking, so I would want to make sure I support it enough. I need to look into it, but I don't think you can expect to see much flexing of the rear. If it flexed at all the fiberglass would start cracking with or without that middle piece cut out.

I could be wrong, but I see it as more cosmetics other than the issue with supporting the trunk latch.

Feel free to keep the input coming in.

·
He's on fire!
3,411 Posts
i don't think i'd price it any different than others, but what exactly are the 'heavy mods for the track' here? The only thing that strikes me as being in that category are the cuts to the clam, which are interesting if the mods list is complete. You don't really need all that extra airflow on stock N/A powertrain and the weight savings can't be that significant. If Perry is an example, cutting the clams is a good way to detract value.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I say 5k under a similar car with untouched clams.

I do think it could be made to look ok if a serious effort is made to do a good job with expanded metal mesh. This will invole some real effort and some investment though

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Board member MaineLotus has a rear cutout also - with a really sweet mesh grill. Looks really nice.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Another that says about $5k under normal values. My guess is you'd list it at $28k and probably get $23-25k. The trouble is it's really hard to explain away cutting that much of the trunk out. My car is basically track only and I hope to never sell it - that said I'd never cut that much of the body out. There's a reason Lotus built the clam the way they did. Also as others have stated clams are basically unavailable right now which will also hurt the sale (since it's almost impossible to put it back to stock).

The real problem is I don't think I'd agree with "it looks like all of the cutting was tastefully done". Had it been tastefully done there would be mesh, rubber lining the edges of the cuts, etc. It certainly looks better than someone taking a saws all to it and hacking it up.

I also love the previous comment that basically said for some reason "never tracked" seems to be a selling point for what is arguably one of the best factor track cars ever produced. Sorta sad, isn't it??

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
I think that is going to be a really hard car to sell... so you can put in a very low offer. I don't think $5k is enough to cover restoring the car back to stock though... I'd guess $7k.

To price the car I would take that off the value of a similar stock car... say ~$35k minus $7k which is your $28k... but then would know another couple of grand off for "faffing around to get sorted"...

99.5% of people who look at that car will simply dismiss it out of hand and walk away due to those mods so you are in a strong bargaining position :)

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
99.5% of people who look at that car will simply dismiss it out of hand and walk away due to those mods so you are in a strong bargaining position :)
Very very true. If you are remotely interested (which I sorta think you shouldn't be) this is near salvage title values. Honestly I'd bet it's more like $10 to take it back fully to stock (having a shop do it). Clam, paint, all the "little crap" that I'm sure is also missing, etc.

If you're looking for a track car this is probably a fantastic value.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I really wonder how much weight was _ACTUALLY_ saved by cutting the trunk out.

I think you'd save MORE weight with a lighter exhaust manifold & clutch, and that'd be good weight to save.

Dunno. The trunk on these cars is next to useless, but it is -something-. In reality, the car is not that modified:

Lotus Stage 2 exhaust - eh, muffler.
Braided steel brake lines - new brake lines, not a bad thing.
BOE diffuser brace - bolt on....??

The rest of it is cosmetic/not really "modification" in my book, beyond the trunk. Oil changes are not a modification:).

No idea on value, but I agree with others - resale is going to be a bear. I'd not buy it, unless it were _cheap_.

The stuff done to it really does not add value to the car, IMHO. Extra wheels are nice.

I paid what felt like a premium for mine, but it had everything I wanted - Sport, LSD, 06, stock Sport shocks, a set of Ohlins, two sets wheels (stock and SSR), hard/soft top, light exhaust, big front swaybar - all the bits and pieces I wanted. No complaints, and I'm probably still ahead on the car, especially if I were to take the Ohlins off, sell off all the bits separately.

I've never -wanted- my trunk to be gone:). *I* don't think it looks better, but yeah, agreed, to each their own and whatnot.

If it is the car you want, great! $23-25k?

I suspect the seller is asking far more than that.

Iain

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
if you are going to do it...this is how it's done...the good news is that you still have enough clam left to enlarge the opening to this size. I think this looks good. This guy also fabs and sells (or used to in the past) stainless steel (and aluminum) grills for every opening on our cars - and makes those sweet LOTUS letters too - out of aluminum and stainless... I always thought MaineLotus had an excellent sense of aesthetics. I admire his work.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 72 Posts