The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you will probably laugh at this question :). I've owned two Lotus' and have no idea what "Lotus Sport" is. I see it on hats and tee shirts and have always wondered what it meant/represents. Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks!

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
It's actually Lotus Motorsport...Cars built for track use only and not for public roads...their racing division if you may.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Lotus Sport is actually called Lotus Sport. Not sure of their current state but previously I believe it was a relatively small group of staff who designed and built their own models within Lotus for both track and street. Note the plaque with LS specific type designation:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/1684302-post224.html

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
They produced all sorts of performance upgrades. Wheels, clutches, sway bars, on and on.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Lotus Sport is actually called Lotus Sport. Not sure of their current state but previously I believe it was a relatively small group of staff who designed and built their own models within Lotus for both track and street. Note the plaque with LS specific type designation:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/1684302-post224.html
You only get that plaque if your Lotus was built in "regular" factory and then modified to a track car...eg Cup 260. But if your car was built by the Motorsport division from the start, there is no plaque. My car is an Exige Cup 260 and the VIN code tells you it was built by the Motorsport group/division, therefore my car does not have that plaque.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am sure you are correct but the question was regarding Lotus Sport, not Motorsport.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
I just got confirmation from Lotus that a car that comes with that plaque is a car that was built by the Lotus Sport division...my car does not have that plaque, therefore my car was built on the regular production line. Lotus Motorsport is Lotus Sport outside of Lotus...my guess is that this is a marketing thing... Cars with that plaque will also have an LS in the S/N of the vehicle.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yeah, lotus sport seem to do add ons. My 'Sport 111' is a limited run which had additions such as wheels, suspension, sway bars, interior trimming, unique paint colors etc on top of the standard model.

Comes with a plaque on the pass side sill.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My understanding of the Sport Elise is that Lotus Sport grabs it off the line and assembles it with the different rollbar and other specific parts. Think this also means I have extra special Lotus Sport gaffer tape holding things together. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts