The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm selling my Esprit. It's a 2002 with just shy of $16k. It just had the cam belts replaced and has new K&N filters, spark plugs, and new 200-cel downpipes and aluminum catback exhaust. Also has new NT05 tires in stock sizing. Car is mint. What you guys think?

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Making some assumptions here:
The paint has minimal chips especially the front
The interior is in excellent shape, no tears, rips, stains
Included, both tops, the bag, the air deflector, tool kit, owner's manual and 2 complete sets of keys
Wear commensurate with 16K miles on the tires and brakes and the tires are not over 7 years old, the battery not over 5
A recent "C" service with all it entails
The front spoiler is included and undamaged
Everything works (that means EVERYTHING and it works correctly)
No accident history
Complete and recent service history
Depending on where the car is it can be worth between $45-50K
David Teitelbaum

·
Cal H
982 Posts
I'm selling my Esprit. It's a 2002 with just shy of $16k. It just had the cam belts replaced and has new K&N filters, spark plugs, and new 200-cel downpipes and aluminum catback exhaust. Also has new NT05 tires in stock sizing. Car is mint. What you guys think?
Low 40's or maybe less because many will wonder why you are selling the car after less than 6 weeks of ownership and suspect something is very wrong

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Explanation of what? People can't change their minds? Yes it's registered. Yes, it's had a cam belt job done. Yes, it's runs fantastic. Yes, it has a few aftermarket goodies on it for sound and performance. No, I'm not hiding anything. I'm not gonna list it at $45k for it to sit 4 months and I end up selling it for $42k. I'm fair and I'll just price it right and sell it quicker. I didn't buy it to make money.

The things that were found when Doc had the check up done were addressed except for the leaking front shock.

Also, it has perfect compression and makes the power to the ground a healthy TT V8 should be making.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Actually, I am surprised you don't see more quick sales of the Esprit. When you go to buy one, it's rare to have a lot of seat time with these cars. Most are buying based on looks and/or the feeling of having a car that was prized during their youth from the super car wars. When you actually get to spend some time with a wedge shaped mid engine super car like the Esprit, those factors can wear off pretty quickly and you're left with a car that can be very expensive and hard to maintain if you can't/don't want to do the work yourself, and is far from current car standards and practicality.

·
Registered Insane
290 Posts
In defense of silver02, the car is in very good condition. He addressed the issues that needed to be fixed and now the car is up to date with all service. I passed on the car mainly because the owner of the stealership was a douchebag towards me. I am very nit-picky when it comes to buying limited production, rare cars. The car was located five miles from my house, so I had the best possible scenario to buy a local car. I think silver02 has discovered that the Esprit is not the best car for his needs. I've bought cars only to discover shortly afterwards that it wasn't a good choice for my needs.

-Cheers

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What it came down to is I can't bring myself to truly "modify" this car. I have a speed bug. I enjoy going fast, mostly in a straight line. I also have a TT 300zx that will throw you in the seat when you accelerate. I miss that and I can't justify keeping a $40k car locked away I a garage. I'm not gonna let it rot. Someone needs to buy it that intends on driving it and is happy with it's power levels.

·
Registered
519 Posts
What it came down to is I can't bring myself to truly "modify" this car. I have a speed bug. I enjoy going fast, mostly in a straight line. I also have a TT 300zx that will throw you in the seat when you accelerate. I miss that and I can't justify keeping a $40k car locked away I a garage. I'm not gonna let it rot. Someone needs to buy it that intends on driving it and is happy with it's power levels.
Did you not know this before you bought it? Seems like a big waste of time and money on your part.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought I would be happy with the factory output. The thrill just isn't there for me. I wouldn't say it's a waste of money, though. I got to own my teenage dream car and not many people can say that. It's been a positive experience for sure.

·
Registered Insane
290 Posts
I think you need to get behind the wheel of a Viper or a Saleen. I had a Saleen S351 with 580rwhp/687 ftlbs torque after mods. That car ran away from everything, including some sport bikes up to 80mph. The biggest problem was getting it to hook up. I sold it for a loss of $50k.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I thought I would be happy with the factory output. The thrill just isn't there for me. I wouldn't say it's a waste of money, though. I got to own my teenage dream car and not many people can say that. It's been a positive experience for sure.
It's unfortunate you didn't try the High-torque ECU update. I've heard that without it the experience can be as you described - not all there. It makes a huge difference in the feel of the car. Way more available power.

But I wish you the best of luck with the sale. Sound like a nice car otherwise.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts