The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the hardtop off a month ago, today I decided to put it back on before I take the car in for service. But it became clear that something was missing. Then to top it off I found some bolts tucked away with the tools for taking the roof off. Hadn't seen them before, they weren't on when I took the roof off.

My best guess is that I'm missing something.

The three pictures:

(1) the roof, with circles around the holes where I suspect something gets bolted to hold the top on.
(2) the windshield frame with a circle around where the softtop plugs in, and where I suspect the hardtop is supposed to have a bolt.
(3) the 'surprise' bolts I found that I don't know what they're for.

My suspicion is that the dealership I bought the car from missed a part when they put the roof on. They had the softtop on when I bought it, and put the hardtop on just prior to shipping it to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hardtop.GIF

Number 16 for sure and possibly number 14. They should stay attached to the hardtop at all times. No need to remove the bolts completely as they have that section without threads to give you enough movement to move the pin clamp around. Same with the hook clamp in the rear.

Do you have the head liner trim pieces? If not replacement parts might run you $150 or so otherwise it shouldn't cost too much.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like I'm missing bits #16 and #14. Wonder what they did with them. Possible the previous owner lost them too (I picked the car up with 2100mi). Scary to think I put 500mi or so on the car without those parts.

Thanks! I'll ask the local Lotus dealership about them next time I'm in, hopefully won't be too much.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Hard to be 100% sure, as the pic of the hard top is a bit wide, but I'd say you're missing the "Front spigot brackets," (pin clamps), part #'s B116V0173J, which are held to the hardtop with the two torx (clunk) bolts you have pictured. You'll also need (2) Washers, flat, M8 x 21 x 1.6, part # A111W4159F.

I can't see how the top would have stayed put minus the spigot brackets, so there's a good chance you have them somewhere, check under the seats, or maybe you just misplaced them. :shrug: (hardtop bag?)

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Chuck, beat me to it!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't see how the top would have stayed put minus the spigot brackets, so there's a good chance you have them somewhere, check under the seats, or maybe you just misplaced them.
I actually removed the hardtop with my own tools, before I found the bag that had the tool + bolts in it. They definitely were not there when I got the car. :mad: Just glad the roof stayed on!

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I actually removed the hardtop with my own tools, before I found the bag that had the tool + bolts in it. They definitely were not there when I got the car. :mad: Just glad the roof stayed on!
Wow, glad it stayed on as well! My roof drives me crazy when it's not tightened down 100% - you should have a much quieter ride from now on. :)

·
shay2nak
24,979 Posts
Wow, glad it stayed on as well! My roof drives me crazy when it's not tightened down 100% - you should have a much quieter ride from now on. :)
mine started to squeak on the drive home from San Diego. It was the back of the passenger side. I could push the top down from the top, but on the driver's side it was real tight. I loosened the back screws and tightened again. Doesn't squeak, but I can still push the top down in that part.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Why would you even take the bolts off? They're captivated on purpose so they can be loosened enough to remove the roof, but still stay attached to the roof...
?

Suppose it's a moot point now but...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why would you even take the bolts off? They're captivated on purpose so they can be loosened enough to remove the roof, but still stay attached to the roof...
list of things (that I know of) that the original owner kept:

(1) the type 72D helmut
(2) the 2nd set of keys (and fob)
(3) 2 Front spigot brackets (pin clamps)

With any luck I won't find anything else missing.

=(

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
mine started to squeak on the drive home from San Diego. It was the back of the passenger side. I could push the top down from the top, but on the driver's side it was real tight. I loosened the back screws and tightened again. Doesn't squeak, but I can still push the top down in that part.
Lotus had a warranty fix for the roof - basically "rubber" sleeves that slipped over the pins. Works pretty well.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
ah, good 'ol seach found the thread I needed!

I, too, have lost a front spigot bracket. :( :wallbang: I took the hard top off two years ago and have decided to put it back on for the winter. I'm not sure when it got lost as the roof has moved all over the place in the last two years due to garage cleaning, rearranging, etc.

Did anyone ever find out the cost of one of these things? Yes, I can call a dealer, but I just thought I'd ask while I'm here online.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
They will be cheap, cheaper than a new hardtop after it flies off of the car:)

Check Lotus Garage if you want an answer without making a call.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine were missing when I bought a car with 600 miles on it, and I drove it 2000 miles before I knew.

Anyway, my local dealer sold me 2 sets of the brackets, screws, and washers for $38. Lotus Garage quoted me a bit less. My local dealer had them in stock.

Lotus Garage doesn't have the parts prices online. They do have the parts for the Exige, but they're like $120! Just send them an email.

PN for the bracket is A116V0350F. Don't have the washer/bolt PN's handy.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought my dealer had thrown them in for free, he'd left them on a bag on the passenger seat when I came in for service. Next time I saw him though he had a bill for me, I forget the price it was around $40 which I didn't mind paying at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts