The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm about the get my valve cover powder coated and was wondering what that hole in the top (marked on pic below) is for.

Is that a breather hole or does it have any other function?

My best guess would be that this is a "leftover" bolthole of the Toyota engine, where something was fixed in Toyota cars but which is useless now in the Elise. Correct?

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, that was the answer I was looking for. :up:
So I will just cover that hole with a nice decorative bolt.

and before anyone bring up lightness, I'll make sure to use a LIGHT bolt for that! ;) :D

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,772 Posts
Ahhh beauty cover bosses! Can't believe OEM's increase the price of parts so they can install those hideous beauty covers (Beauty covers are what GM engineers actually call them (...well the engineers I work with))...

Or shave it off...
I would be careful because it appears to be a cast piece and there is a small chance you could expose some porosity and create a leak. With that said the odds are slim, and since it is on the top of the engine it is doubtful if much if anything would actually leak i guess... ahhh what the hell, go for it! :p

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,423 Posts
I would be careful because it appears to be a cast piece and there is a small chance you could expose some porosity and create a leak. With that said the odds are slim, and since it is on the top of the engine it is doubtful if much if anything would actually leak i guess... ahhh what the hell, go for it! :p
Yes, be careful if actually shaving/cutting this off. But curious, if the plan is to powder coat/paint the part couldn’t you seal it up first and not have to worry about the porosity?

I’d leave the boss because as soon as I remove it I’d find an aftermarket bracket that uses it.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Sector 111 catch can mount.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts