The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I got really into detailing a few years ago and bought into all the marketing around Adams Polishes, Sonax, etc.... Now a few years later and lots of elbow grease, I've learned most of these products are all the same chemical with a different color and/or scent.

I just use Meguiar's professional products now at like 1/2 the cost of the others mentioned. No complaints.

The only exception is tire dressing.. I haven't found a replacement for Adams VRT. I'm not into shinny plastic-looking tires. VRT cleans and protects leaving a really nice matte finish.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I got really into detailing a few years ago and bought into all the marketing around Adams Polishes, Sonax, etc.... Now a few years later and lots of elbow grease, I've learned most of these products are all the same chemical with a different color and/or scent.

I just use Meguiar's professional products now at like 1/2 the cost of the others mentioned. No complaints.

The only exception is tire dressing.. I haven't found a replacement for Adams VRT. I'm not into shinny plastic-looking tires. VRT cleans and protects leaving a really nice matte finish.
Polish seems to mean different things these days. I use Zaino polishes, but they have no abrasives, and are really wax/sealant alternatives. I like the Menzerna Final Polish 2, but it doesn't even look like it's sold anymore. One bottle has lasted me 14 years. Even the Zaino formulation guru (Sal) likes it. My slightly more aggressive polish is Meguiar's, and that bottle is nearly a decade old. The Zaino tire dressing is great, and isn't shiny or greasy. It's slightly pricey. The Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner (separate products) are outstanding. I use them on my motorcycle jackets/suits and car interiors. The Meguiar's Gold Class leather stuff is mediocre by comparison, but it's very reasonably priced. It's my basic leather go-to, but is a little oily/greasy. I also find all of the Zaino products smell good. I agree you don't have to spend a bundle to get a good product.

Adam's is local to me, and I've been to their shop. I have some of their detail spray and polish. I find it to be good for a friend's car that I'm not doing the clean/clay bar/base coat/finishing coats. Reasonable priced. I haven't tried their VRT. Sounds like I should order a bottle and try it out.

San

·
Registered
79 Posts
"the best" is really subjective. The best for your situation may vary. There are better products for sure, but I always go back to the Meguiars line. They have different 'grits' of compound to suit your needs. If it's just fine swirls or water marks you have, then the fine-cut will do. If your paint is a little rougher, you'll need a more aggressive cut.

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Always begin with the mildest abrasive you can find. Only if that doesn't work is it time to change products.

I like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze to start; removes swirls and minor scratches.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
He's on fire!
3,292 Posts
For polish I use meguire's as well. For a finish its BFWD

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Chemical guys! Love their products!!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I've had excellent results with Mothers products. Their spray polishes are also excellent. I use the combo wash/wax spray to touch up on the rockers, splitter, Wheels, etc.

·
Registered
167 Posts
For single stage paint correction, the shop here in Columbus recommended the Sonax Perfect Finish Polish.

This is their review -->

I tried it out and was pretty happy with the results. I would say with that it took care of 75%-80% of all of the swirl marks (with the DA polisher and yellow pad they recommended).

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have found that the paint on my Elise in incredibly hard. As in you have to use very aggressive product. I have used Meguires 105 with an orange hex logic pad and there are still swirls that I can't get out. I agree with starting least aggressive but you might need to step it up. I actually don't like 105 all that much since it dries out and dusts easy. I heard they have a new 110 that might be better. After you do 105 or 110 you will need to finish with 205 (or the newer 210) or something like Meguires ultimate polish.

Basically if you are trying to remove serious defects and swirls, you need to start with a cutting compound and end with a finishing polish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have always used:
https://www.ammonyc.com/
I have always liked his philosophy of doing no harm. He has a complete "system" from tires to body to inside care. To wash it right it takes me about five hours.
My cousin just recommend F11 TopCoat polish for his Charger. Haven't tried it yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts