The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me i think it is a Porsche GT3 at about 100k. That is the first car that comes up that i think beats the Elise in everything that is important to me.

How about you guys?

-Steve

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
2004 Ford GT

Sadly, the Ford GT just isn't in my budget.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,246 Posts
GT3 for me as well.

I think the Elise looks better but the GT3 sure sounds righteous. No 4 banger will ever make that kinda glorious noise...

·
Registered
971 Posts
It's way out of my budget, but the 360 Challenge Stradale would be my next choice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
cheapest

Doesn't the post say what is the cheapest car you would want?

Come on people. I don't even think about those cars because they are not in my price range right now. Can anyone give any other realistic alternatives like a used 97 viper GTS for example? This will run I think between 30 - 40 k

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'd like to try a used Viper or NSX for about the same money.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Re: cheapest

MarvinVA said:
Doesn't the post say what is the cheapest car you would want?

Come on people. I don't even think about those cars because they are not in my price range right now. Can anyone give any other realistic alternatives like a used 97 viper GTS for example? This will run I think between 30 - 40 k
Yes the cheapest, but the cheapest you would pick OVER an elise - for me it would be a 911 targa - there is nothing cheaper I would pick over my elise... If I couldn't get an elise I would think about an M3 or Audi S4, possible C6 vette.....

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
This is a very easy choice for me... :D

I would get a Noble GTO. It handles like an Elise and gives feedback like the Elise. It is handmade. Can be had for around $80k. Does 0-60 in 3.7 seconds , ~350 BHP and weighs in at a meager 2200 lbs.

The only drawback is it must be imported from Noble in England separately from the engine so it can be classified as a kit-car and effectively avoid meeting the federal standards. But since is is basically a racecar for the street (like our Liz) and has a built in roll-cage, I think we would be a A-OK in the safety department :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
For performance, speed, fun and looks there is nothing I can think of that I would pick over the Elise that isn't at least three times the money.

Boxster S or 911... Nope

C5-Z06... Nah

Evo... Looks like a Lancer. Nuff said.

C6-Z06... $60k when it exists. Maybe, but not likely.

Ford GT... Not my era styling wise

Ferrari 360... Oh sure but who has the money.

125cc Birel shifter kart... Okay, not much for getting me to work but this would do nicely at the track and for 1/8th the price.

That's just me though.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
That's too easy and I'm quite surprise to be the firts one to bring it.

A Caterham Super7. That's the car that made me forget about the Elise.

They weigh 1000lbs and the model I'm looking to buy is powered by a 185hp Hayabusa engine. 0-60mph takes only 3.25sec. It'll beat anything around the track and is so unique you might never ever meet someone in another one (unless you plan it).

Price is 30,000U$, nothing beats that. Period.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Darth G-F said:
That's too easy and I'm quite surprise to be the firts one to bring it.

A Caterham Super7. That's the car that made me forget about the Elise.

They weigh 1000lbs and the model I'm looking to buy is powered by a 185hp Hayabusa engine. 0-60mph takes only 3.25sec. It'll beat anything around the track and is so unique you might never ever meet someone in another one (unless you plan it).

Price is 30,000U$, nothing beats that. Period.
It's nice, but I need a car I can take on trips and drive to work, that car won't work. The Caterham won't work for anything but a car on a sunny weekend and the track.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Jim, we're on the same page.

Definitely some Ferrari models and there's even a Maserati I might consider - but I don't want to spend the money for the Ferrari and NONE of them would run away from the Elise on a tight road course without very long straightaways.

Actually, the Elise fits my desires perfectly and is in the LOW LOW end of what I am willing to spend. There is NO CAR under $150K (maybe more) that I would honestly want over the Elise.

Lotus' engineering expertise (consultant to many of the world's automakers) with hand made chassis and assembly, styling and performance make this car unequaled for nearly any amount of money in my book.

But, I have ordered an Elise and it is easy to sit here and defend my own position. I did indeed consider many other cars and never bought anything until I saw that the Elise was available in this country - I'm willing to sit and wait, albeit impatiently, until my car arrives.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I don't know about the driving experience, but I really love the look of the BMW Z8, but $128,000 of so is out of my range.

I would be quite happy with a 1955 Porsche Spyder or Cobra replica, but I have concerns with kit cars.

Carroll Shelby had a new Cobra concept car at the Detroit Auto Show which looks hot and may go into production, but I would expect this to be way beyond my means.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would be remiss to not mention a Cobra replica from Factory-Five racing. I've always wanted to build one of these but a lack of time, garage space and pratical experience has always deterred me.

They do have a GTM "Every man's Exotic" that they claim you can build for a total of $45k using Corvette C-5 donor parts. Pretty unique but there again, I'm a programmer not a car builder.

GTM Info
GTM Pics

If we're talking about all options, it's just another idea. :)

Jim

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I don't think Kit-cars should count. The question was, "What is the cheapest car you would 100% want over the Elise " Not what is the cheapest two-year project you would consider over the Elise.

I think we should be talking production cars here, as the Elise is a production car.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts