The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is exactly the Elise rev limit, I've heard 8500 RPM, 7800RPM but some times i get the red light indicator at 6000RPM in low gears. Is this a gas saving indicator? some times I step on the car and this light throws me completely off, I'm all confused....Please explain :huh:

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Good question, there's no red line on the tach!

The red light means red line. SHIFT.

Around 8000-8500 rpm max.

Sometimes less when the car is cold, the computer doesn't want you to go quite so fast.

At those times, the rev limiter is keeping an eye on you and keeps you to 6000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Its a 2 stage rev limiter, the 6000 rpm is for when the car isnt warmed up sufficiently. 8500 is the fuel cut for the main rev limit.

STOP BEATING ON IT WHEN ITS NOT READY:no:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
What is exactly the Elise rev limit, I've heard 8500 RPM, 7800RPM but some times i get the red light indicator at 6000RPM in low gears. Is this a gas saving indicator? some times I step on the car and this light throws me completely off, I'm all confused....Please explain :huh:
The ECU limits the revs to 6000 RPM until the engine coolant gets up to temperature (I believe at 70C or 158F). After that, the redline is 8500 RPM for short bursts and 8000 RPM continuous.

Certain CEL modes will also limit engine RPM...

·
Registered
378 Posts
1. Redline for quick bursts is 8,500 rpms
2. I beleive that if you are at redline for more than 2 sec. it is 8,000 rpms (can someone confirm?)
3. If the car is not warmed up, it will not let you go past 6,000 rpms (keeps you from going into the hi-cam)

Hope this helps.

edit. Damn, apk beat me to it.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
:rolleyes:wow....they should put that in the MANUAL !!

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
That was a close finish, but it looks like Tracktimeplz walks away with the Gold after winning by just seconds

·
Registered
155 Posts
actually I think most of that information is in the manual. When I test drove a used elise I hit the limiter at 6,000 and thought the same thing, actually didn't buy the car beacuse I thought the limiter was supposed to be at or around 8,000 and that this car was messed with. Oops, the elise I bought was nicer anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are three 'standard' rev limiters on current cars, 6000 RPM , 8000 RPM and 8500 RPM
Thanks guys very intuitive. I'll set my Tach to 8000RPM to be safe and make sure the car gets to the right temperature before I launch next time :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dammit! And all along I thought something was wrong with the car... Replacing plugs, filters, greasing up the coil packs.. This is important to know. Seems like sometimes it takes a while to warm up then! But I'm glad this is the answer to my "problem". :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
Did any of the 05 cars have a fuel cut off? After letting a buddy drive mine and screaming "Shift! Shift! ShiftDammit!" I've been wondering about a cut off or buzzer.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Yes, the 05 has the same rev limiter characteristics. 6000 cold, 8000 rpms normal, 8500 excursion for 2 seconds before fuel cut-off.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i actually wait till 186 degreees, then another 5 minutes to get the oil hotter before engaging warp drive. And i think when the car is warming up, the oil temp LAGS the water temp, and ideally, you want the oil temp in the 250's. One of my oil coolers was removed from the loop, helping me to raise those too low oil temps.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
You are from AK, build a bonfire on your radiator. ;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Fuel cut off does work, but only after a while. It's not nearly as intrusive as my WRX's.

·
Premium Member
2,984 Posts
One of my oil coolers was removed from the loop, helping me to raise those too low oil temps.
I thought there were thermostats on the the oil coolers. Are you saying that you could not get your oil up to the oil thermostat setting?

·
Registered
5 Posts
rev limiter

My Elise 2007 rev limiter still at 6500rpm at 196 F after 30 minutes everything is perfect with my motor... I have the Vison function stage 2.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts