The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and please, no commentary such as "take it to the track", "its not safe", "what about the children".

Lets assume it was done in safe conditions, whatever that may be.

I just want to know 3 things.

1. what was top speed?
2. where was this done(ie-track, freeway, etc)?
3. how did car feel at that speed?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
About 90 mph with Scottsdale Lotus demo on the 101 freeway. The Elise's engine felt like it was just starting to hit its stride. The Elise did start to feel noticeable lighter around 80 mph but always stable.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I hit just over 150mph the other day. It was loud as hell but the car felt stable. There's a highway near me where you can see about 2 miles ahead. Believe it or not, there is very little traffic where I live. Anyway, I've always tested my cars top speeds here. It's downhill so I think the 150mph rating is accurate.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Gearing and drag limitations are two different things, no?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im impressed, you guys are running your cars the way it was meant to be...I ask this question cause the drag coeff. on this car isnt great by todays standards and was wondering about lift at high speeds...so the diffuser and undertray must actually work...original design elises had a tendency to lift after 100mph.

Of course the location doesnt matter, but I was just curious. If you dont feel comfortable telling, please dont respond to that part. When I get my car, cant see doing more than 100mph on freeway. Will test topspeed on track but where I go, most cars can only hit 130 or so on straights. Not that Im against pushing it on freeway but after some expensive legal lessons on the road, cant take that risk again...in other words, I have to live vicariously through you guys...:).

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
A speed-shop on the puresportscar site
reports the car being dyno'd at 164 mph!
Helps to not have wind resistance since that becomes the biggest factor other than gearing.

Mine... 120mph on a 2 lane straight deserted Texas road. Felt okay, if a little fidgety.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
130 mph on 355 north.....
car felt surprisingly stable for a little light car.....had to shut it down cause i was coming up on traffic...
oh yeah, that was the demo car....

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
140 mph on CA hwy 166....passing a line of cars and trucks. Felt no different than 70 except for more adrenaline.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just over 120, this very afternoon actually. Found myself all alone at the traffic lights on a 3 lane highway, roof off, sun shining, with at least a mile of empty road ahead, so I decided to chase the 7k rush. :D Kept going until I saw another car, and my last glance at the speedo was 120-something. It felt incredibly planted compared to my /02 K-series Elise, which I took up to 100 and promptly took back down again!

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
pianomaniac said:
140 mph on CA hwy 166....passing a line of cars and trucks. Felt no different than 70 except for more adrenaline.

got to say...that is either balls or something far less flattering. one moron decides to pull out to pass having not seen you in his mirror and...

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
LotusLust said:
got to say...that is either balls or something far less flattering. one moron decides to pull out to pass having not seen you in his mirror and...
Easy now.......don't judge something you know nothing about!

·
Registered
223 Posts
200km/h on a highway and 180km/h on a small road with a Rover engine one.
In the Elise, you feel like you are going much faster that you actually are.

·
Registered
640 Posts
110 mph on 101 Fwy heading to LA and car was rock steady. 60 secs later a cop was right behind me but fortunately I had dropped to 80 mph. I moved over and he just sailed by. The problem with the elise is that it's speed is deceptive. I swear I had no idea I was doing 110 mph - it felt like 80-85 mph.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's rock solid at 120+. No lift feel after 100mph.

With the right incline or wind, this thing will pull beyond it's published drag limit of 140 something.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts