The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1141 - 1160 of 1975 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Parked outside one of the top VC firms in the country yesterday I was asked by a couple of European guys what the to speed of my Exige was, with one of them saying, "350? 360?" once I confirmed they were thinking kilometers, I corrected them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
On a business conference call the other day and the topic of a visit from the other group to our office came up. A woman chirped up "I get to ride in the Lotus!" Not sure how she even knew...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
"Man, I bet that thing has 300 on the dash!"
I've told this story before, but here it is again...

Many years ago, I imported a Maserrati Mistral from Italy. My kid brother (much younger) was arguing with the kid down the street as to which car was faster, the Mistral or his dad's Corvette.

They asked me which was faster as the other kid was proudly stating that his dad's Corvette could go to 150 because that was the high number on the speedo. I allowed them to look at the speedometer of the Mistral - they freaked out when they saw the 300. I never did tell them it was Kilometers (nor the fact that the maximum speed of the car had nothing to do with the maximum speed on the speedometer). :)

·
Inactive
831 Posts
The funny thing about the Lotus dash is that it receives the speed as a single byte in kph. Max speed the speedometer will show is 255 kph / 156 mph. So the 170 mph / 300 kph is a marketing decision. In any case it's better than a speedo that only goes to 85 mph.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,159 Posts
Ha, I wonder how many women would pick up on the fact that you were essentially calling them a whore.
Depending on where I am in LA, none. Depending on what hour it was in LA, even the ones who did pick up on it wouldn't care.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The funny thing about the Lotus dash is that it receives the speed as a single byte in kph. Max speed the speedometer will show is 255 kph / 156 mph. So the 170 mph / 300 kph is a marketing decision. In any case it's better than a speedo that only goes to 85 mph.
neat factoid! thanks
:bow:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't quite understand the speed info in single byte form... you mean, since each kph is registered as a byte of information, it only goes to 255 bytes?
A byte is eight bits. Each kph is one bit. In binary:
0 kph = 0000 0000
1 kph = 0000 0001
2 kph = 0000 0010
3 kph = 0000 0011
255 kph = 1111 1111

·
Registered
99 Posts
On an off-ramp waiting for the green light:

A pan handler: Wow, nice car.
Me: Thanks
PH: A Lotus right.
Me: Um, yeah. You know your cars.
PH: Mid-engine, carbon fiber right.
Me: Mid-engine, fiber glass.
PH: How fast have you taken it on the street
Me: About 100...
(light turns green).
Me: Have a good one.

Little surprised he was a car enthusiast. Too bad I didn't have cash.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
On an off-ramp waiting for the green light:

A pan handler: Wow, nice car.
Me: Thanks
PH: A Lotus right.
Me: Um, yeah. You know your cars.
PH: Mid-engine, carbon fiber right.
Me: Mid-engine, fiber glass.
PH: How fast have you taken it on the street
Me: About 100...
(light turns green).
Me: Have a good one.

Little surprised he was a car enthusiast. Too bad I didn't have cash.
Only in LA!

·
Registered
185 Posts
A beautifully restored VW van pulls up next to me at a stop light. Driver looks over, I nod He then says
"my son is a photographer for motortrend and he says to me 'dad guess what i get to drive for the weekend, a lotus elise!' thats great son! The next weekend he says 'dad guess what i get to drive for the weekend, a ferrari scuddiera' Thats great son. the next weekend he says 'guess what i got to drive for the weekend a z06 corvette' thats great son. 'not really, its blue with white interior and i keep getting hit on by gay guys'

Priceless!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just mildly freezing here, as I pull up for gas the attendant says: "Do you mind if I ask a strange question?"

Me:"not at all"

Lady:"Why do you have the roof off?"

Me:"Because it's not raining"

Lady:"Owwkay.. Have a nice day"

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
I'm coming out of the grocery store one day and cross paths with a guy going in, who's talking excitedly on his cell phone. "...it's blue, and the license plate is ____, and it's gorgeous." I say "Thank you" to him and keep walking, while he gives me a really confused look.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
One day after work I stopped at the Post Office to drop off a fleaBay payment, left my Esprit running while I went inside. When I came out this older lady was standing next to my car with this very puzzled look on her face.

She asked, " Is that a 16 cylinder?"
I politely answered "No, it's just 4 cylinders"
She responded " I've never heard a 4 cylinder motor that sounded like that before"

One day stopping for Petrol two young African-American guys got out of a Caddie Escalade and one looked at my car and said to the other "Man that's a quarter million dollar car right there!"

Talking about speedos, mine goes to 170 mph. Sometimes I do some car shows and it's funny how little kids think looking at the speedometer that's a cars maxium speed. I've heard kids look at my speedo saying to their friends " This car goes a 170 miles per hour!" I have heard of G turbos hitting 165, be damed to ever try that with my car.

Attending a Fathers Day charity show at Howe Caverns a guy approached my car saying to his wife and son "This is a Lotus... they are built in Australia."
I was sitting behind the car with wifey and he asked "Lotus, these are built in Australia right?"
I replied, " No they are built in Hethel, England."
"Are you sure?" he asked.
I replied, " Quite sure, I toured the factory."
Nothing else was said and he walked away looking like a fool in front of his wife and son. I think he learned a lesson, unless you know what your talking about "Keep your mouth shut!" -poke-

1141 - 1160 of 1975 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.