The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1741 - 1760 of 1975 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,453 Posts
My friend and I were walking back to my car yesterday and there was a guy looking at it trying to get a pic with his phone but then seeing us walking up and I guess thought I may own it he acted like he was trying to read something on it then put it up saying "that's a nice car. I'm gonna stop drooling on it and let you go but I have one question"
Me: "Sure what do you wanna know?"
Him: "I know it's a Lotus obviously but who makes it?"
Me: "Lotus does. The model is an Exige. It's a Lotus Exige"
Him: "Oh ok, why do I want to say that Ford makes it or makes a lotus"
Me: "Ummm no they do not make a Lotus. They make a Focus. This is hand built in England"
Him: "Oh cool so it's comparable to a Porsche then"
Me: "Yes, yes it is..."
Oh ok, why do I want to say you are an idiot?
Not a silly question at all! Ford and Lotus had a very close association during the 60s. You've heard of the Lotus Cortina haven't you :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Keep in mind I have an 06 KG Exige. The idiot is my former tennis coach. Or a jealous coworker that loves his Buick, since I got this twice.

Idiot: what's your new car?
Me: It's a lotus.
Idiot: What is that, a $100k car?
Me: No, much less.
Idiot: oh, gotcha. it must be one of the cheaper models. (said as though it's the most obvious, true thing ever spoken)

How do you even respond to that? haha

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
969 Posts
Keep in mind I have an 06 KG Exige. The idiot is my former tennis coach. Or a jealous coworker that loves his Buick, since I got this twice.

Idiot: what's your new car?
Me: It's a lotus.
Idiot: What is that, a $100k car?
Me: No, much less.
Idiot: oh, gotcha. it must be one of the cheaper models. (said as though it's the most obvious, true thing ever spoken)

How do you even respond to that? haha
Just start making "Yes Man" moments.

Is that a 100K car?
Yes.

Who makes that car?
Lotus.
Oh I thought it was Ford or General Motors
Oh, you're right my bad, Yes, it's definitely Ford or General Motors.

How much did that cost you?
A wicked lot of money... more than I care to think about.

How fast does it go?
Hop in, let's find out!

Is that a Tesla?
Yes. - then rev the engine for giggles

Whatever the idiots think it is, just agree with them and go with it. Save the time and hassle of explaining the little island of England and how they have a little company over there and they make these little cars and blah blah blah.

rotfl

·
Such Moderate
6,739 Posts
Had a celica gts try to "race" me at lunch lol

I was just pulling off from the light normally, and with a car in front of me, he was beside me and I heard him hit 2nd cam.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,159 Posts
Not a silly question at all! Ford and Lotus had a very close association during the 60s. You've heard of the Lotus Cortina haven't you :)
Considering it's 50 years after the fact... yes, he is still an idiot when the badge on the nose and writing on the tail and the wheel caps all say... "LOTUS".

Every Chrysler now can also be referred to as a Mitsubishi because they had the Diamond Star association in the 90's, only 2 decades ago compared to the Ford association. What about the Mercedes connection that gave them the Crossfire or that square jeep thingie based on the old G-wagen?

If that was the case, then every plane would be a Wright Brothers and every motorcycle a Daimler if we took that logic a bit farther to the extreme.

Just start making "Yes Man" moments.

Is that a 100K car?
Yes.

Who makes that car?
Lotus.
Oh I thought it was Ford or General Motors
Oh, you're right my bad, Yes, it's definitely Ford or General Motors.

How much did that cost you?
A wicked lot of money... more than I care to think about.

How fast does it go?
Hop in, let's find out!

Is that a Tesla?
Yes. - then rev the engine for giggles

Whatever the idiots think it is, just agree with them and go with it. Save the time and hassle of explaining the little island of England and how they have a little company over there and they make these little cars and blah blah blah.

rotfl
Yep, after a while, you just say sure and let them stew in their own stupidity juices. I don't do that though unless they keep on arguing with me... I try to be nice and explain and tell the facts, but when someone who has no idea keeps arguing with me or telling me nonsense... then they get what they want... truth be damned.

I had experienced this for many decades because I like rare vehicles... and when you hear total FUD, you just lose patience with the ignorant experts.

Like when I had my MV Agusta F4S back in 2002 in SoCal... 2 years before they were legally imported as new bikes... I brought one in used from out of state... and one night, some self appointed expert walks up with his girlfriend and said loudly enough for everyone to hear, "Now, babe, this here is a MV Agusta that is made by DUCATI and it has a Ducati twin cylinder engine."

Nevermind that a MV is made by MV, in a totally different city in Italy, with a Ferrari designed 4 cylinder engine, built also by MV... but no, he's the expert because he has to impress his girlfriend with his expertise so I didn't even bother correcting him. What's the point?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Him: "Oh ok, why do I want to say that Ford makes it or makes a lotus"
Considering it's 50 years after the fact... yes, he is still an idiot when the badge on the nose and writing on the tail and the wheel caps all say... "LOTUS".
Actually, it's not unreasonable for someone to think that Ford has something to do with the car. Back in the '60s and into the early '70s Lotus was commonly associated with Ford, and not just for the Lotus Cortina (nor the fact that the Elan and later Europas have Ford engine blocks in them).

It was very common to refer to race cars noting the maker of the car and the maker of the engine. Lotus Formula cars and even Indy cars commonly had Ford racing engines in them, hence they were referred to as a "Lotus Ford" - even if it had a Lotus badge on the nose, and Lotus decals down the sides of the car - the Ford name/logo was not necessarily on the car (and if it was, it was usually small and saying something along the lines of "Powered By Ford"). When you watched races (or listened on the radio) the announcers would constantly refer to the "Lotus Ford" since they were usually in the lead, winning the race. That association still persists in many people's minds, and people still get the association from books, models, etc.

So, no, it is not unreasonable for someone to be "ignorant" and think that Lotus had something to do with Ford. It is only ignorant to not know the history of your favorite car and to consider others to be ignorant because they don't know the details either.

·
6,159 Posts
Actually, it's not unreasonable for someone to think that Ford has something to do with the car. Back in the '60s and into the early '70s Lotus was commonly associated with Ford, and not just for the Lotus Cortina (nor the fact that the Elan and later Europas have Ford engine blocks in them).
40 years, giving you the benefit of going into the 70's, is still a whole generation ago... and millenia in car years. Mazda was also associated with Ford. Jaguar is still associated with Ford. Both associations are more modern. Heck, Toyota is way closer in association to the modern Lotus. The automotive industry as a whole has a very incestuous nature.

It was very common to refer to race cars noting the maker of the car and the maker of the engine. Lotus Formula cars and even Indy cars commonly had Ford racing engines in them, hence they were referred to as a "Lotus Ford" - even if it had a Lotus badge on the nose, and Lotus decals down the sides of the car - the Ford name/logo was not necessarily on the car (and if it was, it was usually small and saying something along the lines of "Powered By Ford"). When you watched races (or listened on the radio) the announcers would constantly refer to the "Lotus Ford" since they were usually in the lead, winning the race. That association still persists in many people's minds, and people still get the association from books, models, etc.
We don't drive race cars. We don't own race cars. The street Lotus has as much in common with a F1 car as you have with Stig just because you watched a few episodes of Top Gear and hit 2nd cam on the way to work.

Cosworth did most of the engines anyway. Ferrari does their own engine. Honda does F1 engines. What does that have to do with race cars and translating that into street cars?

I don't call my car a McLaren or Marlboro or Honda or whatever else sponsor's or factory's name is on it either. Sorry, not into F1/Cart/IRL. Here's why I don't do that with any Lotus street car... it's not a friggin race car. It's not even a fast street car. It's a plastic bodied, bare bones, oversized streetable go kart with an obsolete Toyota engine. The only thing it has in common with the glorious Lotus racecars of yore is the name.

So, no, it is not unreasonable for someone to be "ignorant" and think that Lotus had something to do with Ford. It is only ignorant to not know the history of your favorite car and to consider others to be ignorant because they don't know the details either.
It might not be ignorant as to that part of history, but it is ignorant with respect to modern Lotus cars. I know some history of Lotus, but it is not my favorite car (whoever said it was?) nor favorite factory, but I do know what goes into the modern Lotus and if I had asked that same question, I would have prefaced it with, "Back in the day, four scores and seven years ago, Ford did this and this with Lotus... is it the same with these new ones?" See the difference?

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts

"Nope. This is a Lotus-Toyota."

Hell, I've already had a Lotus-Renault.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Have had the usual d-bag in the civic rev at me, and the "who makes it?" almost every time I drive it but the best one was today.

Was sitting at a light when some teenagers in a srt-4 pulls up next to me and the passenger looks over at the car for a good ten seconds or so then yells over to me "hey man that's a small car" my first reaction was to praise his genius by congratulating him on his assertiveness, but decided against it. I replied with "you know what they say about people with with big cars?" The girl in the back seat eyes must have grown twice in size when she heard that, ahh to be young again.

·
Super Moderator
3,784 Posts
Went to the last flyby of the Shuttle Endeavor at Moffett Field (Mountain View, California - about 25 miles South of San Francisco).

Drove the 88 Esprit really early and got VIP parking because the un-informed parking attendant didn't bother to check my permit as 'general admission'. He appeared to assume a bright red sports car was VIP and waved me in.

The bad news - VIP parking is UP CLOSE to the runway, but took 90 mins to exit as it's the First In, Last Out situation.

So I'm in the car, helplessly boxed in with hundreds of other cars. About 4 junior high/high school classes (about 250 kids) head back to their transports and see the Lotus - many are waving, oohing and aching. With the sun roof open, I can see/hear one confused child say out loud "What's a Lotus" - he had a real pained look on his face as he stared at the 'Lotus lozenge' on the nose. Guess he was expecting a Ferrari :UK:

30 mins later (and 25 feet traveled), I'm not making much progress. Engine shut off until cars start moving. A guy and his wife walk up to the car - the guy tells his wife to stand next to the Esprit for a picture.

I get out of the car and offer her to sit in the driver seat while her husband takes the picture. Cripes - I wasn't going anywhere so why not oblige?

She's so excited and surprised. They take like 10 pictures and they're grinning ear-to-ear. They guy knows zero about Lotus but was still grateful to have a fun picture session with it.

The most bizarre interaction - a guy motions for me to roll window down and he tells me that my Esprit entered the US without a Turbo and they were dealer installed. He said he had a 77 Esprit and that they should have had the Turbo from the get go. I didn't bother telling him my car was factory-configured with a Turbo, but he seemed 100% convinced he knew his stuff.

Fun stuff rotfl

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The most bizarre interaction - a guy motions for me to roll window down and he tells me that my Esprit entered the US without a Turbo and they were dealer installed. He said he had a 77 Esprit and that they should have had the Turbo from the get go. I didn't bother telling him my car was factory-configured with a Turbo, but he seemed 100% convinced he knew his stuff.

Fun stuff rotfl
I do not understand these people... Do they feel left out because they "used" to have the car and thus feel inclined to try and share some fact with you?

Or are they trying to get some feeling of comradery from someone driving the car so they share what they think is a fact, without prior conversation...

Seems abrasive, and annoying imo.

·
Premium Member
11,464 Posts
sleek/Eddie, that was very nice of you.

I do it all the time. Kids really love it, don't they?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Went to the last flyby of the Shuttle Endeavor at Moffett Field (Mountain View, California - about 25 miles South of San Francisco).

Drove the 88 Esprit really early and got VIP parking because the un-informed parking attendant didn't bother to check my permit as 'general admission'. He appeared to assume a bright red sports car was VIP and waved me in.

The bad news - VIP parking is UP CLOSE to the runway, but took 90 mins to exit as it's the First In, Last Out situation.

So I'm in the car, helplessly boxed in with hundreds of other cars. About 4 junior high/high school classes (about 250 kids) head back to their transports and see the Lotus - many are waving, oohing and aching. With the sun roof open, I can see/hear one confused child say out loud "What's a Lotus" - he had a real pained look on his face as he stared at the 'Lotus lozenge' on the nose. Guess he was expecting a Ferrari :UK:

30 mins later (and 25 feet traveled), I'm not making much progress. Engine shut off until cars start moving. A guy and his wife walk up to the car - the guy tells his wife to stand next to the Esprit for a picture.

I get out of the car and offer her to sit in the driver seat while her husband takes the picture. Cripes - I wasn't going anywhere so why not oblige?

She's so excited and surprised. They take like 10 pictures and they're grinning ear-to-ear. They guy knows zero about Lotus but was still grateful to have a fun picture session with it.

Fun stuff rotfl
I thought the story was going to end with you saying to him 'I'll give you $71.49 if I can sleep with your wife'

:)

·
6,159 Posts

Yes. I do it for women and kids and I offer. They are always surprised and get a lot of joy. Guys are more aggressive and ask me if they can sit in it. I don't always say yes.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I love doing the 'let kids sit in it' thing. As I've said earlier, why do I do it? Because when I was a kid, I would have loved that. Hell, I'm 41 and I'm dying to have the guy in my new office take me for a ride in his Pantera!

Little kids go bonkers for these cars. Here's a good pic. We did our spirited drive (12 Lotus, 1 Viper, 1 Maserati and a Cobalt SS). Seeing one 'exotic' is cool. Seeing a bunch in a row is REALLY cool.

Anyhoo, we pull into a park for a pit stop and scenic overview photos. Picnic going on and lots of kids in the playground. We all pull in and they go bonkers running up the cars screaming 'I want the yellow one' , 'no, I want the blue one'....I love that stuff. Is there anything better than a kid smiling?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Just remember boys, there's a fine line between letting kids sit in your fancypants sports car and a white panel van with 'free candy' spraypainted on the side! :)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I thought the story was going to end with you saying to him 'I'll give you $71.49 if I can sleep with your wife'

That is a really exact number. Is that the going rate?

Just remember boys, there's a fine line between letting kids sit in your fancypants sports car and a white panel van with 'free candy' spraypainted on the side! :)
exactly what I was thinking

·
Registered
705 Posts
I was at work for an hour or so today cleaning up outside, decided to drive the lotus. As I am cleaning a van drives by, some 15-16 year old kid is in the back seat and as they go by he yells "whoa! Look at that car!!!" hahaha the driver turned around and did another pass.

·
Super Moderator
3,784 Posts
I do not understand these people... Do they feel left out because they "used" to have the car and thus feel inclined to try and share some fact with you?

Or are they trying to get some feeling of comradery from someone driving the car so they share what they think is a fact, without prior conversation...

Seems abrasive, and annoying imo.
My guess is he may have a fuzzy memory of his Lotus owning days.

The more unkind explanation is he's a pathological liar and making it up - I have a child hood friend from 2nd grade who still does that to this day (he's in his 50s now).

He once told me he just bought a brand new Datsun 280z (when it has been discontinued for like 3 years). And countless stories of how he's a successful doctor, fancy house in 3 continents, yada yada (Googled and found out he's a RN).

Just one of those things :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
3,784 Posts

My wife's best friend was the passenger in the Lotus (wife had meeting conflict and could not attend). Pretty sure she would have told my wife *if* I I said that.:eek:

Wasn't there a Robert Redford/Demi Moore/Woody Harrelson movie along that line? But the price was $1M?

1741 - 1760 of 1975 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.