The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
? Something you have done or have had to do - that you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy? Serpentine belt?

·
Registered
582 Posts
for me at 6'4 anything under the dash. I got stuck between the seat and the wheel while modding the pedals. It was a near freakout trying to wiggle free. Now I remove the seat if I have to go under there.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Changing the oil. With the undertray on the Elise I had to jack the car up on one side to drain the used oil into a pan. It was a mess.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,958 Posts
If we are talking just "maintenance" items then yes, probably doing the belt or maybe a coolant flush cause bleeding it can be a pain. All the other maintenance things are straight forward and pretty simple (air filter, oil change, plugs).

·
Registered
54 Posts
for me at 6'4 anything under the dash. I got stuck between the seat and the wheel while modding the pedals. It was a near freakout trying to wiggle free. Now I remove the seat if I have to go under there.
Hey Ziker - you and I would stand eye to eye; what pedal mods did you perform? Any tips/suggestions, or things to avoid? I'm looking to maximize legroom too. THX!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i hear you - i'm only 5'8", and we had to call the fire department to get me out from under the dash. Pulling the seats - new task to learn...

·
Less is Better
2,881 Posts
Changing oil and bleeding brakes isn't hard, but the diffuser sure makes it tedious. Seems like it adds about 25% more time to both jobs.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yup - that other guy who thinks a scratch in his aluminum tub is bad? He should see the marks left by the "jaws of life". :)
Of course i am kidding.

·
Registered
959 Posts
yup - that other guy who thinks a scratch in his aluminum tub is bad? He should see the marks left by the "jaws of life". :)
Of course i am kidding.
Pics or it didn't happen!

On a serious note, I think the Lotus has drawn more blood from me than any other car I've owned. And I've only owned the Lotus for a year!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
HVAC resistor pack. It is a maintenance item and it is comically tragic how hard it is to get to......20 hour job seriously

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
I have not really found any regular maintenance items that were difficult to perform. Fluids, belt, brake pads, etc., all reasonably simple.

On the time vs reward scale, I could complain about the air filter. Its a simple thing and should take a minute, maybe two to inspect and/or change. I tend to be a little OCD about air filters and check them frequently. Its just not that way on the Elise. The bad part is that I have seen two track days make it look like I sucked an entire hoosier into the intake. Other times, maybe when I am not catching anyone, it stays clean. It would be nice to have a simpler system that could be accessed from the engine bay instead of the wheel well. Eh, not a huge deal.

Changing the thermostat was not fun, but that is not really "maintenance", more of a repair. You can kind of see it, and barely reach it, just not at the same time.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
I haven't done it yet, but I am dreading replacing the radiator.
Honestly, the radiator was not bad. If you have had the front clam off before, the radiator is not much beyond that. It was less than 4 hours start to finish since the clam went quickly. Make sure you have 8mm and 10mm ratcheting box end wrenches with swivel heads.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Honestly, the radiator was not bad. If you have had the front clam off before, the radiator is not much beyond that. It was less than 4 hours start to finish since the clam went quickly. Make sure you have 8mm and 10mm ratcheting box end wrenches with swivel heads.
Thanks for the tips! I haven't had the front clam off yet. I guess the part I am dreading is all the time it takes, especially the bleeding.

How's replacing the clutch in these cars?

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
HVAC resistor pack. It is a maintenance item and it is comically tragic how hard it is to get to......20 hour job seriously
+1. This, without a shadow of a doubt, takes the cake... doesn't matter if you have the right tools and shop or not, this is a crap job on these cars if there ever was one...

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Have to agree with the air filter work verses reward... PITA. It makes me want to change the whole air box just to better access the filter.

I didn't even bother with the thermostat. I had a pro do the job.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts