The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ecu is out of the car getting red race chips installed and want to do oil change this weekend...I have taken my car to two autocross races and it has been 3k miles since fox valley did it last. Just wondering what is everyone using. I also had fox do the tranny oil to and do not know what brand they used. I have been reading about redline mt-90 for the tranny. I was wondering if it is worth to change to redline...?

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
If the work was last done at Fox Valley they probably used "the good stuff". You should be able to tell if you have the service ticket or if you go to Fox Valley they should be able to tell you what they used. 3K is a little early for the motor, you can probably get some more out of your oil. Definitely the transmission is OK, it does not get changed as often as the motor. Of course you should be checking the levels and adding any as needed. The transmission should be level with the bottom of the level plug, the motor you should keep on the full mark (when cold). Also check the tire pressures, (all 5), the coolant (the overflow bottle is behind the R/R tire) and the power steering (under the left rear quarter window). BTW, you should always drain the motor oil when it is hot, that is when it has the most junk in suspension. A little hard to do if you do not have an ECU!
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I think you answered your own question :)

It's the latter.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I am using the now-officially-recommended-by-Lotus Syntrans. After a month of use, I can say it shifts the same as it did with the Redline.

It's not cheap from JAE -- $35/liter.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have Castrol TAFX in my 89 which is/was only available from Europe, and it is as good or better than the Redline MT90 that we have in our other three Esprits, as it relates to shifting. But, the Redline is certainly good enough, and much easier to get.

Can't see where Lotus would recommend a new Tranny oil on a Tranny they haven't installed in nearly 10 yrs, other than that it meets the original specs. I doubt they tested it in any kind of way.

In any case all five trannies that we have recently driven are solid with no major synchro issue or other problems. I do believe that at least for the 4cyl the tranny is quite robust, unless you truly abuse it, and the reputation of it not being reliable is overstated. That is not to say that it is the smoothest shifting tranny I have ever driven!

Randy

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I am using the now-officially-recommended-by-Lotus Syntrans. After a month of use, I can say it shifts the same as it did with the Redline.

It's not cheap from JAE -- $35/liter.
Things have changed. With the Lotus recommended and supplied Syntrans after 9 months, I pretty much lost my 1st gear syncro.

At a stop light, I had was having to anticipate the green light so I could push in the clutch and let the gearbox spin down before I could get into first.

A few weeks ago, I put in Redline, and it's shifting great again.

So much for the testing Lotus did/didn't do before blessing Syntrans. Don't waste your money on it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
For engine oil, I think Motul 300V is really good stuff. I use it in my Aprilia. And I will probably use it in any Esprit I buy. :UK:

Motul 300V is 100% group V "Ester" oil, it smells like bananas because it comes from plant not mineral sources. It handles high temps and high rpm with ease. Ester has a chemical property of "attraction" to metal, very useful to maintain the boundry layer, or whatever.

Redline seems to be the most universally recommended transmission oil. I wouldn't hesitate to use their engine oil either.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Redline motoroils are grade V as well from ployol base stocks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
175 Posts
According to Brian Angus and Bob Dace, the Red Line MT90 is considered to be "as the OEM" recommended by Lotus for the Esprit gear box. Remember, Lotus did not arbitrarily pick and gear oil or by some sort of contract deal push a given brand. They did hours and hours of testing...

As for the engine. I only use Valvoline Racing oil 20/50. also a recommended oil by many... it still has zink and is made for non roller cam engines... It is what the historic race teams use on track as well.

Cameron

·
Registered
861 Posts
Actually, I'd start away from the motul 300v unless you are using it for a single track day. 300v isn't designed for daily driving use.

I used 300v in a previous turbo car and sent my used oil out for analysis. The 300v did not provide good wear protection.....at all!!! I was highly disappointed with the motul. After switching to a high zddp synthetic oil, my oil analysis results improved with impressive results.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Amazon has two "types" of Redline MT90:

75W90:
Red Line 57904 (75W90) Synthetic Gear Oil - 1 Quart : Amazon.com : Automotive

And "Vanilla" 90W
Red Line 50304 Manual Transmission (MT) 90W Gear Oil - 1 Quart Active (PR) : Amazon.com : Automotive

I suppose there's really only one MT90; the later...

Which is the proper type?
Soooo, did i just use the wrong stuff? My bottle says:

Red Line MTL Manual Transmission Manual Transaxle Lubricant
SAE 70W80
API GL-4 Gear Oil

Should I change it out ASAP?

For the OP, if and when you want to do the transmission oil, I found these instructions helpful. Agree with David that you are OK for now, but it is a relatively easy DIY job.

Esprit Transmission Oil Change

The 10 mm x 3/8" drive square socket to fit the plugs is available on eBay; search on "Square Socket 10 mm". The top plug could be difficult to reach without the correct socket. I also bought a $25 plastic lubricant pump locally to pump the oil from the container into the transaxle. Consider buying an extra bottle of lubricant (4 US Quarts rather than 3 US Quarts, which are about 5% smaller than a Litre) for the inevitable spills, to fill the pump, and the unit conversion.

HTH & hoping I don't have to change the oil again.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Soooo, did i just use the wrong stuff? My bottle says:

Red Line MTL Manual Transmission Manual Transaxle Lubricant
SAE 70W80
API GL-4 Gear Oil

you can get the 10mm square socket here:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008TOHA6Q/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]0-Millimeter Female Square Head Drain Plug Socket

and the MT90 looks like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Another vote for Redline MT-90. My shifting is so smooth and relaxed, you get what you pay for.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Another vote for Redline MT-90. My shifting is so smooth and relaxed, you get what you pay for.
Not in this case you don't!! The Lotus recommended stuff is more than twice the price of the Redline. Plenty of examples in this world where you don't get what you pay that I have tired of hearing this useless saying.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts