The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m planning to switch my rear glass window to either carbon fiber or polycarbonate. What material is the rear bulkhead that the OEM glass is bonded to? Is it just a hard plastic? Can I also use a combination of rivets and adhesive to attach the CF or polycarbonate replacement to the bulkhead?

Why am I doing this? One thing is the OEM glass is useless in an Exige. Two, my current location of the battery is on the bottom of the firewall on the passenger side. It’s very hard to get to. I have tO tilt my clam to access the battery. A 5 minute job to change the battery is more than an hour now because of the inconvenient location.

So my plan is to rivet a CF or polycarbonate piece to the bulkhead and rivet a battery bracket to this new CF or polycarbonate piece. Now I can change the battery without tilting my clam and still have the battery in a location for good weight distribution.

Any thoughts on this project? Good idea or waste of time? Don’t forget I really hate my current location of the battery. In the pic, it’s buried under that supplemental air duct.

·
Administrator
2,057 Posts
Reactions: rb26dett

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Seeing the firewall/bulkhead exposed like that...do you see any leak points from the engine bay into the cabin? Trying to reduce exhaust fumes getting sucked into the cabin.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Oh you mean like how the chassis is wide open at the ends and beside the fuel tank? Or how there is no gasket on the fuel pump access panel? Or how the sills are open to the engine bay all the way forward to the front?

I started a thread on mice and exhaust smells back some time ago....

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seeing the firewall/bulkhead exposed like that...do you see any leak points from the engine bay into the cabin? Trying to reduce exhaust fumes getting sucked into the cabin.
I think you misunderstood me Shay. I’m not deleting the bulkhead. I’m replacing the rear glass window with a carbon fiber panel. My question is since the OEM glass is bonded to the rear bulkhead (maybe I’m calling this the wrong name) can it also be drilled into to hold rivets because I’m switching glass to carbon fiber. I’m asking about the panel on the firewall that’s on the engine bay side. Is it called the rear bulkhead also? I don’t mean the rear bulkhead that’s in the cabin side that holds the rear speakers.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty sure it is fiberglass

Just be sure you don't drill through the fuel tank
I think I’ll be fine. According to this pic the top of the fuel tank is nowhere near the bottom edge of the glass window. The top edge of fuel tank should be where the red box is because that’s the door to access the fuel pump. This is correct right guys?

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I have found plenty of small holes in the rear bulkhead, for sure. It is best to tape them from the inside when you have the seats out and rear panel off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts