The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
What is the maxiumum would you recommend paying extra for an after market super charger?
I am talking an identical 1 owner clean carfax vehicle with Super charger vs. without...
Please keep in mind, if it was one owner without SC, teh odds are, the ECU was never reflashed and there is an element of risk in going for the SC.
Thoughts?
Cheers!!
--njexpress:confused:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi All,
What is the maxiumum would you recommend paying extra for an after market super charger?
I am talking an identical 1 owner clean carfax vehicle with Super charger vs. without...
Please keep in mind, if it was one owner without SC, teh odds are, the ECU was never reflashed and there is an element of risk in going for the SC.
Thoughts?
Cheers!!
--njexpress:confused:
I have a 2005 Elise that I just supercharged with Sector111 Katana2 supercharger kit. I took me and 2 buddys 2 days to install it working at a comfortable pace. You do not have any risk by going with Sector111 they are a great company and good people that are always there to help if you need it.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
which sc? Big Difference between a REV400 TVS and a Katana. And I would be astounded if you bought a car with a sc that was not flashed for that sc.I paid over $10k to have a rev400 & clutch installed on my 2005. I fully expect I would get 5k-7k of that back if resold. A Katana, not so much, maybe $3k +/- extra. Katana 2 maybe $4k.

·
Registered
142 Posts
What kid of supercharger is it, who installed it and how many miles are on the supercharger? I got the Katana 2 supercharger installed on my car around 9 months and 2500 miles ago and have had zero issues.

The supercharger makes a HUGE difference in this car when it comes to drivability, imho, so I would want one with a supercharger or have one installed later. I would pay $3-4k more for a car with a supercharger that was professionally installed over one without considering it costs over $1k to have one installed, and supercharger kits sell for $4k-6k. I would stay away from cars with superchargers or turbos that generate HUGE amounts of power unless the clutch/transmission/engine were also upgraded to handle the additional power. My 245-250hp Katana 2 feels just about right in this car and doesn't stress out the stock drivetrain much more than the factory supercharger that generates 220hp.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I would pay maybe $2-3k more. Blower kit runs $4-6k depending on which.
I wouldn't factor install since I do my own work anyway.

Investing $$ into a car is nearly always a loosing proposition. You normally can't drop $20k into a stereo, engine, wheels, paint, etc and expect to get all that back plus some.... well other than on TV.

Sounds like a pretty decent job to charge $1000+ for labor though. Looking at 14-15 hours shop time at least.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all - I do not know - in fact, I am yet to see a vehcile with SC> I am just assigning a ball park for the delta for super charger.

To recap:
2.5K if Katana
3.5K if Katana 2
5K is Rev400 TVS

Make sense?
cheers!
--njexpress

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I think those are good values. It is all about what the supercharger is worth to *you*. If you ever ride a supercharged Elise, after riding in a normally aspirated Elise, you will likely pony up the extra coin.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Looks like a Vision Function (brand) intercooled supercharged system on the car. They are typically held in good regard. I would put the kit somewhere on the scale between the Katana2 and the BOE REV400 superchargers (in terms of horsepower). The high-end Katana2 kits (katana265) makes about 265 (non intercooled) HP at the crank. The VF supercharger kits make more. The car listed does not have power steering, listing is in error. The vehicle has stock brakes, and not uprated ones. Still, I don't see any show stoppers from the listing (other than the fact the seller is not familiar with Lotus cars).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Looks like a Vision Function (brand) intercooled supercharged system on the car. They are typically held in good regard. I would put the kit somewhere on the scale between the Katana2 and the BOE REV400 superchargers (in terms of horsepower). The high-end Katana2 kits (katana265) makes about 265 (non intercooled) HP at the crank. The VF supercharger kits make more. The car listed does not have power steering, listing is in error. The vehicle has stock brakes, and not uprated ones. Still, I don't see any show stoppers from the listing (other than the fact the seller is not familiar with Lotus cars).
Which is a good way to talk down the price if you go in there with knowledge on the subject you could drop the price down. Because its not a stock supercharger and intercooler that you cant ;);) know if the install was a proper install even though it probably was, and you dont know how many miles has been put on this set up, probably not much, but you get my point you can use that in the negotiations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts