The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Once it is warmed up... 8500. Though I see occasional blips past it.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Continuous Redline: 8000 RPMs

Transient Redline: 8600 RPMs

The transient redline is supposedly the max achievable for a total of about 1.5 seconds ellapsed time (per occurance) past 8000 RPMs. This helps when you are going up through the gears, especially the lower ones.

The Lift cam kicks in at 6200 RPMs and once engaged stays engaged while you are over 5800 RPMs. So for an acceleration situation you can take the car up to 8600 and then stay on the lift or large cam if you land at 5800 or more in the next gear.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Stan said:

Transient Redline: 8600 RPMs
That would explain why I keep seeing it go past 8500 :)

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>That would explain why I keep seeing it go past 8500 <<<

My A.S.S (after sale service) was done at about 1400 miles so it was okay for me to rev by that point. The logger showed 8624 had been achieved. Supposedly the shift light changes depending upon what RPM limit the ECU will let you achieve once warmed up. During warm up only 6000 is allowed, not that that should be used at that time. They just keep you off the big cam. S2000s do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I have to say, the Elise has the most advanced ECU I've ever personally driven. During my test drive, my chaperone said the car hadn't been driven yet that morning, and he needed to get the oil temp up to temperature, because if it was still in the cold range, the ECU wouldn't allow the higher cam profile to kick in. (And he wanted to me to feel the kick.)

I have never driven a car that has this level of electronic control.

Nor have I driven a car that allows transient redline bursts.

Question: What other ECUs have these qualities, or similarly high-tech attributes?

Does the E46 M3 let you go past 4000rpm with a cold engine, or do the lights simply "warn" you not to?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts