The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an inspection today at the D.O.T., the officer wanted to confiscate my computer and keep my car for further inspection.
He said the vin# on my computer did not match the car so he wanted proof or he had to detain the car.
My car vin# is SCCPC11135HL35019 and my computer number is SCCPC11105HL30000.
He was very serious! I'm posting this because I would like to know if this is a standard number or has my computer really been switched out.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I don't know the exact details but I had VIN mismatch happen when my battery died and the ECU got reset.
The car didn't throw MIL, but the temperature/speed showed up in metric. Taking it to the dealers and few calls to Lotus HQ showed that I had a case of VIN mismatch and the dealership was able to program the correct VIN in.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't know the exact details but I had VIN mismatch happen when my battery died and the ECU got reset.
The car didn't throw MIL, but the temperature/speed showed up in metric. Taking it to the dealers and few calls to Lotus HQ showed that I had a case of VIN mismatch and the dealership was able to program the correct VIN in.
Hey I want my temp. to show up in metric! What can I do??

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Had an inspection today at the D.O.T., the officer wanted to confiscate my computer and keep my car for further inspection.
He said the vin# on my computer did not match the car so he wanted proof or he had to detain the car.
My car vin# is SCCPC11135HL35019 and my computer number is SCCPC11105HL30000.
He was very serious! I'm posting this because I would like to know if this is a standard number or has my computer really been switched out.
I have a feeling you have the ECM from a different car installed on your car which is why it doesn't have your VIN in it. I don't think the inspection officer has the right to hold your car or take your ECM because of the mismatch unless that ECM is from a stolen car. Your original ECM may have died and and it was replaced with a functional one from another car or a salvaged car instead of purchasing a new one from Lotus. Typically if the ECM has been "flashed" with an aftermarket tune it will simply not show any VIN in the memory at all. The flashed ECM in my Elise has a blank VIN and the inspector has never even batted an eye. All they do is compare my registration paperwork from the state with the VIN tag on the car to make sure they match and that is it. If they insist on giving you grief over this, I'm sure your local Lotus dealer could insert your VIN into that ECM or one of the tuners could simply blank it out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the vin while I was setting there and said the same things you all have said. The vin showed as invalid, which made me think it was just a standard blank vin from factory. I also told the officer to run the vin and if it doesn't come up stolen then what was his concern? I was thinking it might have been some speacial tune computer or aftermarket because the car has some intake mods and so on. I don't know if you can even buy an aftermarket. Have no clue. All of this started because my mileage is only 24k and he thought that was to low for a 2005 car.
Good thing is they didn't keep my car. It amazes me how this car gets treated like it cost 100's of thousands here in Ohio.
Oh well, I thought maybe someone out there may have experienced this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts