1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
836 Posts
Sharks are cool :cool: slapped one on the tailfin once, he got pissed and I got scared

:shift:

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Search on Japanese whaling and dolphin kills...people do some horrible things...the fining thing is truly sad.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Yeah, just watch and episode of Iron Chef (the original Japanese version, not the American one) and you'll find out about finning.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The dolphin killing thing almost made me puke. I wish I could creep up a bout a mile behind some of those people with a rifle and pick them off one by one.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
in a past life, as a commercial fisherman(lobster) noaa put a moratorium on dogfish, a small(3 foot) shark popular in the ny blight. well, it devastated all the other species in the area, lobster, toutog, seabass, ling, both summer and winter flounder! but a few liberal green peace types said the sharks were endanger, and take so much longer to reproduce, we must save them!

as a whole the area lost 32% of its catch for the 5 year period.

two years after it was lifted, random noaa sampling showed a reduced amount dogdog fish, but sky rocketing amounts of juvenile fish of all species. now three years since then, things are going back to healthy levels.

i dont mind sharks at all, but it not my problem they cant reproduce faster, besides nature as always found a way....

anyway, finning, i think it would be much better if they used the whole fish, and not just dumped it back over....

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Shark fin soup is GOOD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark_fin_soup

Just stay away from the dishes of truly threatened animals like Bear Claws...

Go diving at the oil rigs off the coast of Louisiana and let me know if sharks are "threatened." We regularly have to deal with sharks...

The law states that New laws have been passed to prevent finning; though much of the international waters continue to be unregulated. The United States recently issued a ban on finning, applicable only to U.S.-registered vessels, even in U.S. territorial waters; and shark fins cannot be imported into the USA without entire carcasses.

So if the last statement on Wikipeida is true...Shark fins cannot be imported into the USA without entire carcasses...so if you eat shark fin soup in the US....you dont have to worry about the sharked being "finned"!! Its all good in the US of A, enjoy your shark fin soup!

People over generalize.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Sorry to vent, but an article on Yahoo homepage about sharks attacks on the rise, you may have read it already...just a small paragraph about finning really chapped my hide. :mad: I personally love sharks and are misunderstood creatures. But to fin them is absolute bullsh*t.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20080227/sc_livescience/sharksdeclinebutattacksrise
Shay,
Are you old enough to remember what happened to sharks after "Jaws" came out? It'll never end. Many people have many priorities wrong.

If humans don't respect other humans how are they going to repsect animals?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
The dolphin killing thing almost made me puke. I wish I could creep up a bout a mile behind some of those people with a rifle and pick them off one by one.
Yeah, the cruelness of the way it's done is unbelievable. I couldn't get it out of my mind for days.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Shay,
Are you old enough to remember what happened to sharks after "Jaws" came out? It'll never end. Many people have many priorities wrong.

If humans don't respect other humans how are they going to repsect animals?
Exactly! Actually, it starts with individual people not liking or respecting themselves. Pretty sad.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I didn't have any problem with sharks until they started having laser beams attached to their heads.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
DMBrown, you dive off the Louisana coast and see a lot of sharks. You then assume that they're not threatened? That's like going to an African safari and seeing lions roaming all around you and then jump to the conclusion that they're not threatened.

Not all shark species are threatened. The concern is that at the current "fishing" rates there are certain species that we may see disappear in our lifetime. Do you think hammerheads are cool looking? I do. Well, they're one that has been identified as possibly threatened due to overfishing.

Laugh at the US regs stating no fins can be imported without the entire carcass. That means nothing. Go to a Chinatown and see how many shark fins you can buy and then see if there are any other shark parts you can buy. You won't. I'm Chinese and have consumed many bowls of shark fin soup. It really is tasty but I won't ever order it and I discourage others to do the same.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I don't have a problem with that, as long as, if you do, you eat the whole person.

Tom
If you do it right, the sharks will happily eat the whole person. :eek:

·
Registered
744 Posts
DMBrown, you dive off the Louisana coast and see a lot of sharks. You then assume that they're not threatened? That's like going to an African safari and seeing lions roaming all around you and then jump to the conclusion that they're not threatened.

Not all shark species are threatened. The concern is that at the current "fishing" rates there are certain species that we may see disappear in our lifetime. Do you think hammerheads are cool looking? I do. Well, they're one that has been identified as possibly threatened due to overfishing.

Laugh at the US regs stating no fins can be imported without the entire carcass. That means nothing. Go to a Chinatown and see how many shark fins you can buy and then see if there are any other shark parts you can buy. You won't. I'm Chinese and have consumed many bowls of shark fin soup. It really is tasty but I won't ever order it and I discourage others to do the same.

Rest of the shark doesn't exactly taste too good, only thing you may possibly want to use a shark for is sand paper...

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
When we catch brown tip sharks, if the reds and specks aren't biting we will cut their tail off and bleed them out. That makes the meat taste a LOT better.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts