The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What metal is this arm in the door jam made of?

Mine have deeply etched water marks and I took some aluminum Polish to them. However, the Polish had the adverse effect of turning the metal badly dull. I'm very familiar with my products and aware that aluminum Polish will briefly dull before shining back up. It is not shining back up.

Ideas?

Attachments

·
* Acme Super Moderator * ** The Enforcer **
6,888 Posts
I think that the flooring and other aluminum bits have a protective coating on the outside, so polishing is destructive. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more information.

San

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
pretty sure most everything is anodized.

Not sure what a product like Mothers does to it. Abrasive polish will definitely damage it.

Not sure how to fix water spots or polish damage

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
I would not be surprised to find that the water spotting was caused by car wash drying on the anodized aluminum door beam.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was able to remove hard water stains like that on an anodized aluminum shower frame with vinegar and baking soda.
I soaked a towel in vinegar, left it sit on the part for 30 minutes, then scrubbed with a baking soda paste of water and vinegar.

I'm not sure I would try it on the Lotus. Vinegar is acidic and it will attack the aluminum. So experiment on your own risk.

·
Premium Member
11,464 Posts
General rules of thumb:

1. Always test a product in a somewhat hidden spot.

2. Definition of "Split Second": time between the traffic light turning green and the New York cabbie behind you honking his horn.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,686 Posts
Tin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts