The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should probably be embarrasing, but I was checking hoses and things while the car was running and found that there is a hissing sound coming from this spot on the supercharger. I put my finger on it and clearly had a vacuum on it and the motor died. Is this normal and what is the port for? I searched around here and google but got notta. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I'm not sure, mine had a warning plate next to it, which read:

Warnung: Dummer Lotosinhaber, haften Ihren Finger nicht auf diesem Loch. Es veranlaßt Ihre Maschine zu stoppen. Lecken Sie nicht Ihren Finger danach, es ist schmierig. Vertrauen Sie nie deutschen Übersetzungen von anderen Lotosinhabern, sie haben eine kranke Richtung der Stimmung.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Warnung: Dummer Lotosinhaber, haften Ihren Finger nicht auf diesem Loch. Es veranlaßt Ihre Maschine zu stoppen. Lecken Sie nicht Ihren Finger danach, es ist schmierig. Vertrauen Sie nie deutschen Übersetzungen von anderen Lotosinhabern, sie haben eine kranke Richtung der Stimmung.
haha, that is awesome!

Warning: Unfortunately lotus owner liable, not your finger in this hole. It causes your machine to stop. Do not lick your fingers after that, it's greasy. Never trust the German translations of other Lotus owners, they have a sick sense of humor.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I'm not an SC expert, but this it seems like this would be a way for the system to bypass the compressor to prevent overboosting in some circumstances.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So do you think it supposed to be sucking air at idle? BTW, thanks for the fast info!!

I'm not an SC expert, but this it seems like this would be a way for the system to bypass the compressor to prevent overboosting in some circumstances.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I really wouldn't be comfortable saying for sure - if it is overboost protection (to avoid excessive lean conditions which are obviously very bad for an S/C motor) I'd be concerned that the part is absent. I'd want one of the SC guys to pipe in and say what function this port would have absent the part and if the part is necessary. Also, sucking unfiltered air into the motor just seems like a bad idea :) Has it always been like this?

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts

rotflrotflrotfl

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a great question, it may have always been this way... but I just noticed the sound (until 2 years later, hehe). It is the BWR kit.

I really wouldn't be comfortable saying for sure - if it is overboost protection (to avoid excessive lean conditions which are obviously very bad for an S/C motor) I'd be concerned that the part is absent. I'd want one of the SC guys to pipe in and say what function this port would have absent the part and if the part is necessary. Also, sucking unfiltered air into the motor just seems like a bad idea :) Has it always been like this?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
It depends on the kit. There is the exact same shape on the other side of the supercharger and either side can be used for that bypass valve. If thats the side that supposed to be "blank" then there should be a plug in the middle hole and you should have one of the bypass valves on the other side.

I don't know if it is actually required as my understanding it that it mainly relieves load at partial throttle on the supercharger keeping the heat down.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Your closed end bearing is missing! The same promblem that Rex has a few posts earlier! He has sourced the bearing and will let us know. This is so weird as i never heard of it before and in 1 week 2! Wow

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Check Katana Vacuum Actuater, leak? I posted info on it

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
If it is open and you can see the bypass valve shaft rotate in there then the bearing is missing. If it is still capped then there is a leak in the bearing seel

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a bearing on the way from a very nice shop posted in the other thread Tommy mentioned.

I will post pics and specs as soon as I get it. I am going to attempt to source a fresh one and can pick up another if you like. I cover mine and car idles great. Hoping this is a simple fix for the both of us:)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi TommyC and rapsquared,

Thank you guys so much for posting on this, Sorry for the delay in responding, I have not checked back in a while. Well that explains a lot, I just went back and looked at some pics when the supercharger was new and yes it was clearly plugged off and there would be no way to have a vacuum going on there. Before I found this, about an hour ago I took some electrical tape and just covered it up, took battery terminal off then back on... idles much better now, I took it for a spin and couldn't really tell a difference. I will track down one of the needle bearing caps as you have suggested.

Thanks again!!
Bradley

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Isn't that the spot where you can mount the bypass valve on? I believe the mp62 has two of those holes and it allows you to mount it on either and cap off the other.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is a bit of an older thread. But I am having the same issue.
I want to see who had it fixed and if it really requires a rebuild or if i just need to be able to press a new needle bearing. I am just hoping to avoid sending the unit in and have it done at my normal shop.

thx

1 - 20 of 22 Posts