The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what brand alarm the car comes with. What does it sound like when armed? Weird question, but something to talk about i guess.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
They make two kinds for the European Models.

One comes standard and has a key fob that arms and disarms it. I think is has some type of chip in it that disables the alarm similar to the GM passkey.

The optional one has a siren mounted in the front clam, and some other switches mounted in the front hood panels, doors and rear engine area and it also has a microwave type motion sensor mounted behind the seats in case you have the roof off.

I think you have to order the optional one when the car is being built, since in order to replace the siren, the front clam has to be removed, and the brains of the unit are mounted inside of the rollbar or targa area before the panels are installed.

Looks like they did this to make it hard for the hoodlums to get to it in order to disable it. It would be nice to get the upgraded one, but we will probably just the standard one.

Just put a pit bull in the passenger seat when the car is left unattended. Nobody will screw with it.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Paul MD said:
Has anyone been given the option to upgrade their alarm on orders thus far - certainly not me...:confused:
Me either, but I definitely want the microwave motion senor. I was planning to add this anyway.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The pit bull defense definitely works. Not that I have a pit bull, but rather a 110# wolf cross who people find intimidating. I can leave him happily curled up in the car with the windows down in the middle of SF and nobody messes with him or the car. I've even been pulled over and had several officers refuse to approach the car when the pooch stood up to see what is going on.

You've gotta be an idiot to stick your hand in someone else's car that has a big dog in it. Or any dog, with big teeth.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I wonder if my trunk monkey will fit in the Elise's tiny trunk. Geez, I hope it won't be too hot in there for him.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
The notes I have from an old manual I found on the internet ( I think it has since been deleted on Lotus request, but i printed out a copy, so dont ask me to post it) say that the Elise uses either an M36T2 electronic immobiliser meeting Thatcham category 2 requirments, or as an optional upgrade, a full M99 [email protected] alarm system incorporating M23 cockpit intrusion sensing and a self powered siren which meets Thatcham 1.

From what I remember the dealer saying: You have to hit the button on the key before inserting it or the car wont start. I think it automatically disengages the ignition after the key is taken out.
I think we are also geting remote keyless entry too.

The dealer said they can install Lojack and other things as aftermarket add ons too.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
xxxotic said:
...the Elise uses either an M36T2 electronic immobiliser meeting Thatcham category 2 requirments, or as an optional upgrade, a full M99 [email protected] alarm system incorporating M23 cockpit intrusion sensing and a self powered siren which meets Thatcham 1.
I know that this is real, but it sounds like such a load of gibberish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts