The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in either an Elise SC or an Exige S 240. Has anyone paid under MSRP on an 08? I refuse to pay a dime over MSRP.

I'm interested in the models above or a Porsche Cayman S. Build quality-wise, I'm surprised that the Elise/Exige aren't priced a tad cheaper.

·
Registered
440 Posts
You can buy S240 below MSRP... I did...;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem is the people who can give us the proper info are posting in other section, since they already own the car! Maybe we can get post this in the general section (with mod approval) and direct them here. :)

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
you should probably contact people that will be selling you the car....aka dealers, and find out for yourself

·
Registered
7,610 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you should probably contact people that will be selling you the car....aka dealers, and find out for yourself
See, a major reason this section exists is to get information from other people who've been through the process. Dealers don't willingly give this kind of information out, because it decreases their bottom line. This is pretty common on other boards, so I don't see why this board would be the exception. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In Sandmusuem's post, he mentions he got his Exige 240 (not including transport and tax) for a little over $60Kwhich includes the $4,000 loyalty coupon. So, I think he got around $5k off.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47933&page=4

I would suggest contacting Robert (Wallabyguy) who works at Lotus of Greenwhich (forum sponsor) since they have 7 Exige 240s and 2 Elise SC in stock: http://www.lotusofgreenwich.com/category.php?cat=lotus&subcat=elise&carid=0
Thanks for the info, I may just do that very soon :) Their list prices are much higher than MSRP though, which I suppose is standard practice.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Thanks for the info, I may just do that very soon :) Their list prices are much higher than MSRP though, which I suppose is standard practice.
I see where the price is coming from. I built the Arctic Silve Exige 240 on both LotusUSA's site and Edmunds.

The Arctic Silver has a base price of $64,890 and with the options of:

1) Metallic Paint: $590;
2) Starshield (a 3M type clear bra): $995
3) Touring Pack: $1,600
4) Track Pack: $1,650

So, this car has everything except for the limited slip differential. And, the destination charge is $925. So, the total price is $70,650.

Here's a link to LotusUSA's site and Edmunds. The Build Your Lotus feature is a new feature that just went live about a week or two ago:

http://www.lotuscars.com/
http://www.edmunds.com/

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see where the price is coming from. I built the Arctic Silve Exige 240 on both LotusUSA's site and Edmunds.

The Arctic Silver has a base price of $64,890 and with the options of:

1) Metallic Paint: $590;
2) Starshield (a 3M type clear bra): $995
3) Touring Pack: $1,600
4) Track Pack: $1,650

So, this car has everything except for the limited slip differential. And, the destination charge is $925. So, the total price is $70,650.

Here's a link to LotusUSA's site and Edmunds. The Build Your Lotus feature is a new feature that just went live about a week or two ago:

http://www.lotuscars.com/
http://www.edmunds.com/

Good looking out. I didn't even see that, I just kind of skimmed the prices (oops!) Maybe I'd need to order one from the factory. Not sure I'd want the extras. There are probably better after market options than the track pack and protection. I'm not sure if I'd even care about the touring pack either.

·
Registered
803 Posts
search is your friend...

I suggest you find various posts, some by dealers and some by people like me, if you want more information. You need to find a dealer that will find you the right car at the right price. Each of us needs to make the right deal. There are several dealers that are sponsors and post regularly. Check out the For Sale Section. Search is your friend.

I did order my car, from Paul at MidRivers, because I wanted something that was not here yet. You need to be willing to wait a long time if you order a car that is not already here in America. I ordered mine in the middle of November and did not get my hands on it until March. Perhaps the Holiday Season got in the way?

Michael

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Good looking out. I didn't even see that, I just kind of skimmed the prices (oops!) Maybe I'd need to order one from the factory. Not sure I'd want the extras. There are probably better after market options than the track pack and protection. I'm not sure if I'd even care about the touring pack either.
Not a problem and glad to help.

One think to keep in mind, depending on how long you'll keep the car is that the touring pack actually helps resale value. As for the track pack, I'm not so sure. I think others have said there are better after market options that track pack.

Also, in terms of the limited slip differential, I've heard some people say that it's helpful if you track the car but for street applications it adds weight. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I can chime in on that.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
the track pack includes (or used to include) a more robust roll structure... it is not something that can be upgraded in the aftermarket.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Track Package for 2008 only adds adjustable dampers. The rear track brace, adjustable front anti-sway bar and harness bar from last years Track Package are now standard on the Exige and part of the sport package on the Elise. The Sport pack also now includes traction control and on the Elise, Lotus Sport Seats and twin oil coolers.

The Limited slip was specifically designed for auto-x. Unless you intend to Auto-X (even of you track your car), it really isn't needed. This was confirmed recently in a video test drive of the Elise SC by Autocar which can be googled.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Track Package for 2008 only adds adjustable dampers. The rear track brace, adjustable front anti-sway bar and harness bar from last years Track Package are now standard on the Exige and part of the sport package on the Elise. The Sport pack also now includes traction control and on the Elise, Lotus Sport Seats and twin oil coolers.

The Limited slip was specifically designed for auto-x. Unless you intend to Auto-X (even of you track your car), it really isn't needed. This was confirmed recently in a video test drive of the Elise SC by Autocar which can be googled.
what about the "T45 Steel Roll-Hoop and Struts" that was supposed to have been part of the track package on earlier produced cars?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Great information, thank you.

On a similar note, considering that most people don't buy a Lotus for comfort, it's really surprising to me that Lotus doesn't list the EXACT differences of their product lines (right down to any important performance detail). They cover most, but they leave some vital things out. It gets very confusing, and people shouldn't have to keep track of things to that degree. It should be a completely transparent process.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts