The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
give me my second cam!
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I ask this and please if there are any of you out there that own these cars dont take offense on this forum I am sure you know how to drive, but the majority of them drive like pissed off teenagers from the famous movie THE FAST AND THE RETARDED. Every time I take the LOTUS out one of these a$#h*&s wheather there in a camoro , mustang or a challenger wants to taunt me to race on surface streets and freeways alike. Yesterday I almost had my front clam taken off by a crazy soocer mom in her brand new white mustang gt because she felt that 3 seconds was going to make a difference becuase I was holding her up by going only 50 mph in a 40 mph zone,meanwhile passing me on the right on a one lane road with a turn lane in the middle full of debri kicked up onto my windshield by her. Now I have a few more rock chips to stare at if I am bored while driving my car! Went out today to put gas in the lotus and on the way there another jackass in a pony car (camoro ss yellow) rides my ass all the to the gas station in a 30 mph resdential zone while I am going 45 mph, I mean he is on my ass to were if I had to brake he would have nailed me! After 4 blocks of the half bald guy going throught his mid life crsisi fiding my ass like a hemroid I pulled over to let go by only to hear hil rev his engine in neutral to about 5grand and take off like a pissed off bat out of hell. On the way home on the freeway another crazy pyscho chick is working traffic as if shes under cover vice rolling code 3. I was sitting on 85mph and she (bright blue mustang gt) passed me like I was sitting at the bus stop. Sorry for the grip/bitch session but someone had to do it! I mean do they pre-screen people at the dealerships for these things to see if you are the worlds biggest douch- nozzle in order to qaulify to buy these things? If this offends somepeople well I am sorry but in someways I am not. People probably think I am some rich snoby A-hole but I am not and the only reason I give them a reason to think that I am is because of the car I drive and thats their wrong assumption. Nothing about my driving style is unsafe or rude or illegall other than keeping up with the flow of traffic. The only time I choose to exercise the true cabilities of my car or my skills is in a controlled invirenment i.e. auto x or track. These idiots are out and about throwing 4000lb cars like there smart cars and sooner or later I hate to say it but someone is going to get hurt or worse killed. Its just like the idiots that drive their SUVs and just space out in their own little world without paying any attention to whats going around them. So sorry for the politicaly incorrect rant. I had to get it off my chest.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
ur right, come to think of it it IS only ppl with pony cars who drive like jerks. lol
i guess you have never been on a group drive with a bunch of your lotus buddies?
nobody speeds?
anyway, i cant count the times ppl in crap box economy cars cut me off in my lifted h1.
i guess a lot of ppl have little regard for their own life these days! hmmmm, maybe they just didnt see me?
bad drivers come in all different cars. this may shock you, but i know some lotus drivers who cant drive worth a $hit too. just because one drives a lotus doesnt make them a pro or beyond doing things on the streets that are ill advised.
lets hope when we DO have some fun out there we at least use some judgement.
speed safe. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Funny post (although I'm pretty sure you didn't intend it that way). My office is full of car nuts - parked next to my Exige we have a Ford GT super car, Maserati Quattro port, Porsche 911 GT3, Porsche Cayman S and a Ford Mustang Shelby GT500.

Of all of us, the GT500 owner (e.g. Pony Car) is probably the safest & most respectful of others driver amongst us. I drive fast, the Maserati owner drives distracted all the time, the Cayman driver also drives fast, etc. We talk about our car choices lots - and his reasoning is that the Mustang is fast, draws very little attention, and sits high enough to fit in to Phoenix traffic without any drama.

I guess in the end I'm saying to direct your anger at the insane drivers on the road whether they be fellow Lotus owners or Pony car drivers. What you drive doesn't change who you are. That being said - Pony cars are FAR more obtainable than a car like ours - so the chances that someone wanting a faster car to hoon around in is more likely to pick a pony car than something else.

Just my $0.02.

-Scott

·
Registered
403 Posts
The reason I ask this and please if there are any of you out there that own these cars dont take offense on this forum I am sure you know how to drive, but the majority of them drive like pissed off teenagers from the famous movie THE FAST AND THE RETARDED. Every time I take the LOTUS out one of these a$#h*&s wheather there in a camoro , mustang or a challenger wants to taunt me to race on surface streets and freeways alike. Yesterday I almost had my front clam taken off by a crazy soocer mom in her brand new white mustang gt because she felt that 3 seconds was going to make a difference becuase I was holding her up by going only 50 mph in a 40 mph zone,meanwhile passing me on the right on a one lane road with a turn lane in the middle full of debri kicked up onto my windshield by her. Now I have a few more rock chips to stare at if I am bored while driving my car! Went out today to put gas in the lotus and on the way there another jackass in a pony car (camoro ss yellow) rides my ass all the to the gas station in a 30 mph resdential zone while I am going 45 mph, I mean he is on my ass to were if I had to brake he would have nailed me! After 4 blocks of the half bald guy going throught his mid life crsisi fiding my ass like a hemroid I pulled over to let go by only to hear hil rev his engine in neutral to about 5grand and take off like a pissed off bat out of hell. On the way home on the freeway another crazy pyscho chick is working traffic as if shes under cover vice rolling code 3. I was sitting on 85mph and she (bright blue mustang gt) passed me like I was sitting at the bus stop. Sorry for the grip/bitch session but someone had to do it! I mean do they pre-screen people at the dealerships for these things to see if you are the worlds biggest douch- nozzle in order to qaulify to buy these things? If this offends somepeople well I am sorry but in someways I am not. People probably think I am some rich snoby A-hole but I am not and the only reason I give them a reason to think that I am is because of the car I drive and thats their wrong assumption. Nothing about my driving style is unsafe or rude or illegall other than keeping up with the flow of traffic. The only time I choose to exercise the true cabilities of my car or my skills is in a controlled invirenment i.e. auto x or track. These idiots are out and about throwing 4000lb cars like there smart cars and sooner or later I hate to say it but someone is going to get hurt or worse killed. Its just like the idiots that drive their SUVs and just space out in their own little world without paying any attention to whats going around them. So sorry for the politicaly incorrect rant. I had to get it off my chest.
I think you're making way too broad of a generalization based on a few bad experiences. As a Lotus and a Mustang owner, I find your post a bit condescending.

I own an '11 Mustang (used as my summer daily driver), '11 Taurus SHO (used as an alternate/winter daily driver) and my '06 Elise for my Fun/Night car. I chose the two Fords out of any daily driver I could choose from, because they are fun, have great technology (Sync system), fast, inexpensive and very impressive quality in recent years.

When I drive the Mustang, I don't wildly speed or do anything else reckless. I just enjoy the 305 hp, the torque and getting 31 mpg in a comfortable car, with full navigation, a great stereo, usb input etc etc.

I enjoy my Mustang for completely different reasons than my Lotus, both are nice in their different ways. One of my good, very successful friends, just took delivery of his black McLaren MP12-4C, and guess what his daily driver is? '2011 5.0L Mustang GT.

My point is that you really don't know anything about the type of people who own pony cars. So just relax and don't be so quick to judge and insult them.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
there are 1.21 billion muscle cars on the road. You probably passed 43 reasonably driven ones in the drive before one of them pissed you off. Its more about statistics than anything. Same thing applies for trucks in "these parts".

when I had my elise truck drives always wanted to race. I think my exige looks a bit more exotic because I mostly get people trying to take pictures and give thumbs up.

Its best not to get too worked up over these things.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Around here, I *rarely* see any pony car drivers acting like dip****s (any more than anyone else that is.) If anything it'll be people in slightly older cars like WRXes, Hondas with fartcans and the like. All the people who have real power under the hood keep a lid on it most of the time (exception: there are also a fair number of late model Mercedes drivers who apparently think they are God's gift to motoring - I assume they are also chatting on the phone and sipping a latte while they pilot their 5000lb land yachts across many lanes of traffic...)

It's not the racers which bother me as much as the people not paying attention...

·
give me my second cam!
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you're making way too broad of a generalization based on a few bad experiences. As a Lotus and a Mustang owner, I find your post a bit condescending.

I own an '11 Mustang (used as my summer daily driver), '11 Taurus SHO (used as an alternate/winter daily driver) and my '06 Elise for my Fun/Night car. I chose the two Fords out of any daily driver I could choose from, because they are fun, have great technology (Sync system), fast, inexpensive and very impressive quality in recent years.

When I drive the Mustang, I don't wildly speed or do anything else reckless. I just enjoy the 305 hp, the torque and getting 31 mpg in a comfortable car, with full navigation, a great stereo, usb input etc etc.

I enjoy my Mustang for completely different reasons than my Lotus, both are nice in their different ways. One of my good, very successful friends, just took delivery of his black McLaren MP12-4C, and guess what his daily driver is? '2011 5.0L Mustang GT.

My point is that you really don't know anything about the type of people who own pony cars. So just relax and don't be so quick to judge and insult them.
If you would have more carefully read my original and first post you would have noticed I said I did not mean to insult anybody who owned or owns a pony car on LT. Next time read the text more carefully before tell me I dont know anything about the type of people I have seen...that is what I was refering to in first place ...;not!! oh P.S. DONT TELL ME TO RELAX AND NOT JUDGE RECKLESS [email protected]#HATS!!

·
give me my second cam!
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ur right, come to think of it it IS only ppl with pony cars who drive like jerks. lol
i guess you have never been on a group drive with a bunch of your lotus buddies?
nobody speeds?
anyway, i cant count the times ppl in crap box economy cars cut me off in my lifted h1.
i guess a lot of ppl have little regard for their own life these days! hmmmm, maybe they just didnt see me?
bad drivers come in all different cars. this may shock you, but i know some lotus drivers who cant drive worth a $hit too. just because one drives a lotus doesnt make them a pro or beyond doing things on the streets that are ill advised.
lets hope when we DO have some fun out there we at least use some judgement.
speed safe. :)[/QUOTE Excellent point. Yes I have gone on many group drives but there is some speeding but no crazy pass over the double yellow line around a blind curv or ride the bumper of the car in front of you until it pulls over bulls$%t. Most of the time here in sunny so cal there almost always some sort of autox event or some sort of bi monthly track session so thats how I get my aggression out. I dont mean to rub it in to everybody else in other states that cant do that because of bad weather but it is what is. Its the only thing good about this God forsaken state. And yes I will admit just because someone owns a LOTUS does not mean that he or she can drive.

·
shay2nak
24,988 Posts
wow, where the hell do you live?!

only people i know who own pony cars are rednecks, old white guys and latinos.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
To the OP, I would say just ignore them and carry on. If the world was not full of idiots, how else would we rise to the top and succeed?

Also, try to be use punctuation a bit more. Consider new paragraphs, otherwise it can be a bit difficult to follow what you type.

Take care!

·
give me my second cam!
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To the OP, I would say just ignore them and carry on. If the world was not full of idiots, how else would we rise to the top and succeed?

Also, try to be use punctuation a bit more. Consider new paragraphs, otherwise it can be a bit difficult to follow what you type.

Take care!
You are right. Wont it let get me down and cause me to post a thread like this again.. sorry. Seriously..did not mean to discriminate against anyone. When typing a rant I tend to go like a out of control bullit train! I should have took a second to think before shooting from the hip. From now on I will not make automatic assumptions from here on out about any certain type of persons and the car he or she drives.

·
give me my second cam!
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Take care!
You are right. Wont it let get me down and cause me to post a thread like this again.. sorry. Seriously..did not mean to discriminate against anyone. When typing a rant I tend to go like a out of control bullit train! I should have took a second to think before shooting from the hip. From now on I will not make automatic assumptions from here on out about any certain type of person and the car he or she drives.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Often people like the OP end up stereotyping a car when complaining about their drivers, but the truth is, bad drivers do not discriminate what cars they drive.

I've not seen bad drivers inside a more Mustangs than any other popular car. It's all about the numbers. So there are millions of Mustangs, you'll see more bad drivers in them than Lotus drivers. Same with Priuses, Accords, etc. Most of the a-holes I've encountered were driving 'normal' cars, not sports cars, actually. Becuase, maybe, there are more 'normal' cars than sports cars? :rolleyes:

It's just a fact of life. Get used to it. It'll make you a better driver :)

·
give me my second cam!
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Often people like the OP end up stereotyping a car when complaining about their drivers, but the truth is, bad drivers do not discriminate what cars they drive.

I've not seen bad drivers inside a more Mustangs than any other popular car. It's all about the numbers. So there are millions of Mustangs, you'll see more bad drivers in them than Lotus drivers. Same with Priuses, Accords, etc. Most of the a-holes I've encountered were driving 'normal' cars, not sports cars, actually. Becuase, maybe, there are more 'normal' cars than sports cars? :rolleyes:

It's just a fact of life. Get used to it. It'll make you a better driver :)
Thats 100% true. You are right.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I can easily see myself getting a 2013 GT500 when I am tired of my Lotus. The car is very impressive for a production vehicle at around $55k. Here is a part of the Car and Driver article:

"Next GT500 was going to produce north of 600 hp, but even we weren’t prepared for the 650 hp and 600 lb-ft of torque.

Engine Overhaul

While punching out the 5.4-liter aluminum-block V-8 out to 5.8 liters, the GT500’s powertrain crew also updated the heads for better cooling, changed the camshaft profiles, added piston squirters and higher-flow fuel injectors, swapped the old supercharger for a larger and more efficient TVS unit that ups boost from 9 to 15 psi, and fitted a larger intercooler. The result is an extra 100 hp and 90 lb-ft compared to the 2012 model. The cooling system was upgraded to dissipate the excess heat, and a carbon-fiber driveshaft, upgraded clutch, strengthened transmission (with revised gearing), and sturdier rear axle were deemed necessary to cope with the extra grunt. To help the driver cope, the GT500 is equipped with an adjustable launch-control function.

Despite the GT500’s barbaric output, Ford has come a long way from the muscle cars of yesteryear, wherein engineers fitted a bigger, more powerful engine and called it good. A new front fascia is home to the same revised headlights as the other ’13 Mustangs, and there’s a new front splitter. That last bit is important, as Ford says the new GT500’s top speed is in excess of 200 (!) mph. Chew on that, Camaro ZL1. Heck; chew on that, Corvette Z06, with your piddling 198 mph. Overall, Ford says the 2013 GT500 has 33 percent more downforce at 160 mph than its predecessor. With a factory Mustang joining the 200-mph club, drivers will appreciate standard Brembo brakes with six-piston calipers in the front and larger rotors and new pads at all four corners.

For Corners, Too

With 650 hp, no bend in the road will be far away. To address those curves, the new GT500 gets optional electronically-adjustable Bilstein shocks. Part of the Performance package—which also includes a Torsen limited-slip diff and Recaro seats—the Bilstein dampers offer drivers a choice of Normal and Sport modes. If you intend to unleash your Shelby on a closed course, you might want to opt for the Track package, too. It adds supplementary coolers for the engine oil, differential, and transmission.

The GT500 receives the same exterior revisions as the rest of the 2013 Mustangs and the Boss 302. Those updates include the aforementioned headlights, new LED taillights set in a blacked-out tail panel, and body-colored rocker extensions. A quad-tipped dual-exhaust system and two new forged-wheel designs are unique to the Shelby GT500.

While we have no official word yet on pricing, we’re expecting a hearty bump from the GT500’s current base of $49,605. Considering how much more grunt it has than the 580-hp Chevrolet Camaro ZL1—not to mention its 12-horse edge on the $113K Corvette ZR1—even $60,000 for the new GT500 would be one helluva bargain. View Photo Gallery"

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Camaro
Mustang
Challenger
WRX
Corvette

Those cars seem to attract idiots, and yes if someone is trying to get me to race them on the street, it will be someone in one of these cars.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
When that happens.....I find a place where I can pull off the road very quickly, nail the brakes and fall in right behind them ( but I don't follow them closely ) It really flips them out !

1 - 20 of 49 Posts