The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of pipes run behind here? (especially the driver side...?)

I drove my Elise wearing shorts for the first time, and when my knee touched the area, WOAH:eek:!, it was hot! -- not too hot, but pretty warm.

Is that where the engine coolant pipe run to the radiators? The engine temp wasn't too hot (around 195F). Could it be related to the transmission oil? :shrug: The oil coolers in the front... is one of them for the tranny oil?

I stayed on the second-cam for a long time in 4th gear, and the gear poppped out to neutral. Although the engine temp wasn't too high, I'm guessing the transmission temp was quite high.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Coolant. I've considered wrapping the pipes.
How can you get to them. I was under the impression it involved taking of the fiberglass from the rockerpanels and the pipes themselves are bonded to the chassis. Is any of this true?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts

I drove my Elise wearing shorts for the first time, and when my knee touched the area, WOAH:eek:!, it was hot! -- not too hot, but pretty warm.

Is that where the engine coolant pipe run to the radiators? The engine temp wasn't too hot (around 195F). Could it be related to the transmission oil? :shrug: The oil coolers in the front... is one of them for the tranny oil?

I stayed on the second-cam for a long time in 4th gear, and the gear poppped out to neutral. Although the engine temp wasn't too high, I'm guessing the transmission temp was quite high.
I'm sure someone here can post a diagram from the service manual, but the tranny oil stays in the transmission.

I forget which side is which, but on one side the coolant goes from back (engine) to front (radiator) and back again. I believe the other side does the same thing for the engine oil to get from engine to oil coolers and back.

So, in short, yes there is a lot of heat in those side areas coming from coolant and oil.

In the Europas/Esprits, with the backbone chassis, the coolant lines ran through the center tunnel, making it quite warm.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
This has been posted here, not sure if it's accurate:

Neat to know: The passenger sill contains the A/C feed & return pipes, heater return pipe, and the coolant feed pipe. The driver's sill contains the electrical harness, the coolant return pipe, and the heater feed pipe. There's also one brake line in each sill. The service manual also implies there's an oil feed line in one sill, and a return line in the other, but it isn't clear about which is which. There's a row of oil line clamps bonded to the inside of each sill, so presumably there's one oil line running through each. These are neoprene hoses.

·
Registered
557 Posts

You might avoid getting burned if you didn't drive from the passenger seat. ;)

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Coolant lines, A/C refrigerant lines, and oil cooler lines all pass through the sills. I believe (can't remember for sure) that the lines are routed so that right side carries the hot fluids and the left carries the cooler fluids.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Neat to know: The passenger sill contains the A/C feed & return pipes, heater return pipe, and the coolant feed pipe. The driver's sill contains the electrical harness, the coolant return pipe, and the heater feed pipe.
Almost, but not quite..

The heater, A/C and oil cooler pipes run along the outside of the chassis and under the fibreglass side-sill. You can see these on a car when the fibreglass sill is damaged or cut off.

The main coolant pipes run through the alu chassis extrusion themselves (feed towards rad on passenger side, return on driver's side) and are held in place using foam blocks.

You can't see these as they are inside the alu and if you need to replace them they have to be pulled out from the front (usually need to drill a hole in the crashbox to get it out)

Bye, Arno.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts