The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any assistance will be appreciated, by me. Him......not so much.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
At the right is an unidentified member of the genus Araneus, the largest of all spider genera, with over 1,500 species found in it worldwide. Araneus spiders are medium-size species and their abdomens are often brightly colored. Many species have the little "window" you see in the middle of the underside of this spider's abdomen, and intricate, zigzagging and/or speckled designs on the abdomen's top side. A typical Araneus web would be the classic orb web. The spider, instead of staying in the web's center, may build a retreat in a rolled-up leaf near the web. A "signal line" composed of a special strand of silk connects the web's hub with the leaf and when the spider feels vibrations on the "signal line" the spider rushes out to see if it's caught anything!

·
Premium Member
11,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, thanks (to some of you...):)

Argiope aurantia.

I fed it/him/her today. Seemed hungry.

·
Premium Member
11,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As stated, an orb weaver. Awesome little guys to have in your garden.
Thanks for even more info.

Yes, but he built a lg web in the way of my door. The sides of that web were about 5' long.

I have another meal for him tmw. Might buy little crickets.

Hey, still got your XRS? I still love mine. Sometimes/rarely, I think of adding one of those piggy back controllers to lower the cam switch; upshifting puts me under that curve.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Gil,

Dylan is spot on. That is an Araneus marmoreus or commonly known as a marbled orb weaver.

You do not need to feed it daily btw... or really at all for that matter... and a cricket may just thrash and trash the web, although weavers weave daily and it won't really notice but the cricket may just fall out and hop off...

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have lots of orb weavers around. The are really cool. Just don't walk into one of their large webs. They are only out at night and I've watched them spin their webs really quickly. They take them down by sunrise.

I also have a brown widow that I keep in a container. Have fed her other smaller spiders, crickets, flies, etc. I've spent hours watching her catch and eat her prey.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Thanks for listening. This edition of 'Spider Talk on NPR' was brought to you by Virgins United. Join us next week for a special encore edition of our 6 part documentary 'Mating Patterns of the Tsetse Fly'

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Also...

This is probably the most arbitrary of any 'off topic' topic ever on LT

I'm wondering if there's an off topic thread started by 'Webslinger2003' over on the 'ArachnidTalk':

'hey guys, I'm 9 years old and want to get a Lotus Elise'....

·
Premium Member
11,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Uh, guys have posted about their divorces and stuff.

I once posted a poll to determine correlation between smashing wedding cake into spouse's face was indicative of good or bad marriage.

People liked it, but too few responses to know the outcome.

One of the great thing about LT et al is the wealth of info on all sorts of stuff, not all of which is car related.

And, no one forced you to read this, right? Your mind cannot be controlled. You do wear that tin-foil hat, right?

Thanks to everyone for answering my question. Good stuff indeed.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I know Gil, I was just being the court jester!

These are much better than your non-partisan political stuff ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for even more info.

Yes, but he built a lg web in the way of my door. The sides of that web were about 5' long.

I have another meal for him tmw. Might buy little crickets.

Hey, still got your XRS? I still love mine. Sometimes/rarely, I think of adding one of those piggy back controllers to lower the cam switch; upshifting puts me under that curve.
This is one of the things i study for my Plant Science major and also a hobby, although it seems there are a few entomologists on the board. If you want to see some amazing spiders, i can take some picture of my Tarantulas, whip scorpions, cave spiders, scorpions, hissing roaches that i collect.

Still have the XRS, and can't wait to finish school so i can add the exige. I've been thinking of doing a supercharger but might leave it until after the lotus.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts